Thread: 2008 Ram 5.7 tuning pointers and tips

2008 Ram 5.7 tuning pointers and tips

First ever dodge tuning experience. This truck is basically a "max bolt on" truck from what customer told me. Have tuned plenty of Ford and GM platforms from stock to 1500hp boosted setups he has insisted I take a shot even tho I have 0 dodge experience.. Little bit confused on tables.

1. Timing...its seeing 18-20 at WOT from 12.7(1st half of run)11.7(last half of run) across the board on AFR. From what I'm reading cant go much past the 20 degree mark and they need to be rich. This seems very low in timing to me but with no KR scanning options how do I know when its knocking besides trying to get my old ears to hear it?

2. What table is used to modify fueling? I see an VE1 and VE2..is this used for fueling adjustments? Which one if so?

3. Fueling numbers have got me twisted...GM its a EQ table which is divided by the stoich. Ford is lambda. Dodge is some weird decimal numbers How do I put this into AFR conversion?

4. This thing has a built trans and stall I have heard the TCM is a nightmare. Any tips on this?

Anything I have missed that you feel could put me on right path would be awesome. I have seen some pretty stout gen 3 setups max bolt ons hitting 8s in 1/8 is all he wants. Hes currently sitting at 9.4-9.6@76mph

Thank You for any guidance you have to offer!

OG.hpt 1stRun.hpl
    2008 Corvette
    UPP Twin turbo T4 67mm BB billet wheel kit
    427 LME Billet Setup
    Fore Innovations Triple 465 L4 Setup
    FIC 2150 injectors
    RPM TH400/9 inch
    Pro Torque Bolt Together Converter
    MaxxECU Stand Alone

I'm still learning myself but hopefully this helps a bit.

Engine>Fuel>General>FA Stoich = .0694 (1 divided by .0694 = 14.4) This is your base fuel setpoint
    Engine>Fuel>Power Enrich>Pratio = .0125 (1 divided by (.0694+.0125) = 12.21) This is your power enrich fuel setpoint
    I'm running 11.9:1 (.0145) under load at WOT due to the additional vehicle weight and piston durability.

Why can't you monitor STKR, is the channel not available? The engine is equipped with sensors according to the file you provided.
    You are right though, the modern hemi generally doesn't require much timing to make power unlike the old ones.

Awesome! Thanks alot. This really clears that part up. As far as the Knock sensors it has no options for logging retard. I see it has sensors in the tune but no channels in the scanner. Very frustrating to say the least. How much timing are you running at WOT? Which tables do I change for fueling? I see two VE tables on the airflow tab. I assume it's one of those since there is no MAF but which one or is it both?

Each bank has it's own ve, adjust them the same. 19 to 21 degrees is more than enough. These motors have perfect flowing heads and don't require a lot of timing like a GM.

KR Sensors are voltage based, there should be channels for them, try searching for (knock retard short term), (knock retard long term), and possibly (total knock retard).

Good luck. Also dodge likes to be run "rich" but make power lean if that makes sense. You'll command a richer run but get leaner fueling. Likely because ve isn't anywhere near good from factory.

The neural network is your friend, when working with newer vehicles leave it on and let it do it's thing.

I'm very familiar with the scanner and how knock sensors register signals. There is 0 options to log knock. I guess this thing is just very limited. Thanks for info on VE tables I figured that is what was going on. Seems not much will be gained on tuning side and will be more on launching it correctly to get times down.
    2008 Corvette
    427 LME Billet Setup
    FIC 2150 injectors
    RPM TH400/9 inch
    MaxxECU Stand Alone

Learn something new everyday. You were right on the channels. I did some research and did an update of the scanner which did nothing. I researched some more and found a thread on going into the list of vehicles I have used and deleting the truck off the history. This worked like a charm had alot more PIDS! All the KR channels were available. This thing has upwards of 7 degrees of knock showing up from his last toooner.
    2008 Corvette
    427 LME Billet Setup
    FIC 2150 injectors
    RPM TH400/9 inch
    MaxxECU Stand Alone

Glad you're getting somewhere brother, these mopars are something lol

Thanks for the help it really helped me a ton. End result is a happy customer and I got to learn a new platform. We will see if he can get a new personal best in a few weeks at test and tune.
    2008 Corvette
    427 LME Billet Setup
    FIC 2150 injectors
    RPM TH400/9 inch
    MaxxECU Stand Alone

Awesome bro! Glad you got it all figured out man!! Good luck!

Glad to hear you got it sorted out! I have seen quite a few tunes with way too much timing.
    Just fixing that should make a nice improvement at the track.

Potential Tuner

Question Tips? Advise?

Hello everyone! I'm sorry to bring back an old thread but I'm super nub to HPT. I also have a bone stock 2008 RAM 1500 5.7 2WD and started messing around with tunning about 2 months ago. Got Greg's Engine Management Advance Tuning book but I haven't go crazy with anything on the PCM yet. So far my transmission has improved a lot from factory tune and I'm happy with it (545RFE). For the engine I have tweaked some tables and values (using HPT forum as reference) but don't feel I'm getting any faster, little improvements in throttle response and maybe pulling harder in the 3500-5000rpm range. It's been hard to find good info for these old trucks or examples to follow. My truck was doing high 10's at Immokalee Regional 1/8 Racetrack but haven't go back for almost 1 1/2 years. Could someone please take a look to the tune I'm running now and guide me a bit to the right direction? I always run 93 oct gas and scanner hasn't showed any knock at this point. Also I've been experiencing no shift at WOT 1-2 and 2-3 randomly, as soon as I release the gas a tiny bit it shifts...no idea what I'm missing. I only drive 10 miles round trip to work everyday so its hard to find issues in the tune unless I go veeeery slow with the process of adjusting and road testing. Any help will be greatly appreciated, I hope Dodge tunning comes to light and more tuners share their experiences. May the Torque be with you!
    Attached Files Attached Files