Thread: Fuel System Monitor Readiness / Flash and tunes relationship

Potential Tuner

Fuel System Monitor Readiness / Flash and tunes relationship

Hello,

After driving quite a while and a number of fuelings, the fuel system readiness monitor continues to show not ready for the looming emission test. After some research, it seems a common enough issue with the 2012 Wrangler that they have a PCM flash to address it and may be required. Mine is turbo charged, so a custom tune, and I have questions that I'd love the experts to chime in about please.

Can the dealer flash the PCM with the current tune installed or will I need to drive it there, load the stock tune, have them flash the PCM and then reload the custom tune to drive off with?

And that begs some understanding on my part of what is the "dealer flash" vs tune relationship? Isn't that the same or can they flash the PCM (touching emissions parameters not affected by tunes) and then I can load HP tunes on top of that flash?

And the holy grail; is this an adjustment that I can correct in the HP tune?

Thank you for any input and looking forward to the education!
    Last edited by fred_rok; 1 Week Ago at 01:02 PM.

Did you delete your rear o2 sensors, or change anything in the tune already?

Potential Tuner
    I've not done anything in the tune to combat this current issue. All O2s are functional.

Quote Originally Posted by fred_rok View Post
    I've not done anything in the tune to combat this current issue. All O2s are functional.
    It could be an inconsistency in the tune. Like an unnecessary adjustment for rear o2 sensors. Should be fine deleting that particular code and removing battery for 10 minutes after. Otherwise may need to be set a certain way to keep system from throwing that code.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks, It's the fuel system readiness monitor I'm having issues with so inclined to think the system is looking more at gas caps, vapor, etc. and not actual O2s related, etc.

Ultimately, I guess the question is can I get the dealer to perform a PCM update (firmware?) for that issue that's been identified and then reload my current tune without affecting that update?

The answer is probably no. But you can:
    Save ?current? tune file.
    Flash back to stock.
    Have the dealer flash your vehicle with the update.
    Read/copy the dealer update tune file.
    Open the dealer update tune file.
    Open your ?current? tune file in compare. Look at what is different.
    Choose copy all differences and save this file as a new file name.
    Load the new file with copied changes.

No guarantees, but that is the most likely way to get it fixed while retaining the necessary changes for your turbo.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you for the suggestion spoolboy. I'm hoping it's a firmware type change that may be unaffected by tuner sw changes. But I also don't even know if I'm understanding the PCM/tuning relationship correctly.

Advanced Tuner
    FWIW I struggled for a year to get my 2015 SC challenger to pass all emissions monitors, although it was CAT and O2 that were my problem. The original tune done with DS had several DTCs disabled which I put back to stock and now everything passes.

If you read the new calibration/OS update and copy your tune modifications like, Spoolboy suggests, to that file and write it back to the PCM the new update fixes should not be affected. In fact, some write the latest calibration/OS to the PCM and then make the appropriate changes.
    Last edited by Homer; 4 Days Ago at 09:39 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Great info Homer, thank you. I too have noticed that if some DTCs are disabled, the monitors won't complete the process. 420/430 for CAT for example. Chasing some codes now (P113E permanent that won't go away I suspect because they were turned off after setting and a new current P2097) along with the perfect tune that are adding to my frustration but in the meantime, I need to consider I have to get this fuel system monitor to set. I happened to find a thread in a forum discussing this exact issue with a PCM update available on my exact model/year.

I may be to the point that I return it to stock, update the PCM at dealer, drive to set, pass emissions and reinstall the turbo. Maybe I'll learn more in the 2 year span where I'll have it figured out for the next.

Advanced Tuner
    If the P113E is O2 slow to respond, it my be the sensor or small, hard to find exhaust leak. When I installed my headers, after a while I kept getting a bank 1 sensor 1 slow to respond. Tried futzing with transport delay and even swapped bank 1 and 2 sensors but did not help. Checked for leaks using a smoke machine and soapy water when the system was cold and found nothing. Reluctantly replaced the sensors with OEM ones and it went away...BTW no changes to the tune. It's been over a 1 1/2 years since the sensor change and no codes.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks much for that. I've checked for exhaust leaks multiple times (no smoke machine) and with the turbo, certainly more opportunity for that. I've replaced B2S1 recently in an effort to target the P2097 and I think I may just replace the rest anyway eventually; cheap enough and 60k miles on them. I had always suspected that the 113 may have been due to the entire replacement of the exhaust manifold and subsequent sensor location change since it happened at the same time. So many variables. I appreciate the input.