Thread: Engine Torque PID

Engine Torque PID

Im loosely doing some timing tuning. Nothing crazy until I can get to the dyno or track to see the results. Im using the Engine Torque PID for reference. I was just curious as to how accurate it might be. I seem to be hitting peak torque right around the 3800-4000 rpm mark. Ive had a couple LS's in my day and have looked at countless dyno graphs over the years to know most LS engines with a cam peak torque at 4800-5000. Just interested if anyone else has come across this. I have a dyno graph of my car before when it had a mail order tune and the torque peaks in the normal 4800-5000 range. Thanks.

hah. I went through this once. I was totally freaked out when my computer started predicting rapidly (suspicious) torque values as I made timing adjustments...

From what I was told and remember (correct me if I am wrong anybody) the computer's torque prediction is "read" from the "max torque timing tables"

so if you are at WOT and using 90% of the "max timing torque table" (or whatever its called) it will 'predict' 90% of the engine torque is being made...

yeah... totally bogus..

For example when I am using 12* of timing at 7psi of boost it shows like half of the actual torque the engine is producing, because the max torque timing table says "20 degrees" Is maximum torque. I don't think it recognizes boost much. Although now that I am thinking about it, seems like it added some for the boost pressure, it had to have. Still a mystery to me.... Hopefully someone can explain better...

I see. So should I be adjusting the max timing torque table? I just adjusting cells in the base spark table.

I don't think its a good idea. That table is used by a LOT of other stuff in the ECU, iirc if you screw with it, you can mess tons of other things up.

Its not like you need an accurate torque read to tune the engine. No stand-alone ECU has that for 'tuning' purposes afaik

I did read about that after I posted. Don't mess with that table at all.

I guess I forgot to add, I'm doing 2nd gear pulls so it's probably not accurate anyways

Senior Tuner
    better off making an acceleration maths pid to see if ur changes are making improvements

I could. I actually downloaded the virtual dyno, which I've read good things about. But when I try to load my tunes it gives me and error code. Still trying to trouble shoot. What parameters would I use for accel math?