Thread: New to HPT. Have a specific question on my car.

Potential Tuner

New to HPT. Have a specific question on my car.

Hello! I'm new to HPT and have yet to purchase any products due to not being 100% sure they'll do what I need!
    I have a stock 2004 GTO.
    - I am tired of buying new key fobs and getting stranded randomly when my car decides not to start because the key fob battery goes dead. I have a little guy new to the family now and I'd scrap the car if it stranded us. I'd really like to use this car as a guinea pig to start messing with some of the basic sides of tuning and have some fun with it and learn. I've done some skimming through these forums but cannot find a straight-forward answer to my question.
    Question: Will any of the products provide a disable or bypass to the vehicle anti theft system that will allow for the key fob battery to die and the car still be fully operational?
    In addition: I don't mind if any of the remote functions are effected by disabling it. Basically looking to have it work in an old fashioned way, metal key to unlock the door, start, etc.
    Thank you guys for any help on this as I consider it a most basic need and if there isn't a way to do this it will affect whether or not I keep the car for the purpose of trying out the tuning game.
    Nic

I woulda thought that answer was about as straight forward as it comes. You can google just about anything related to LS1/camaro/firebird/gto/silverado/sierra VATS removal hp tuners and you'll get about a million answers.

The answer is yes, you can disabled VATS on that computer with ease.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you! When I was searching LS1 tech, and a couple of other gto forums for that I found that every thread I read involved a more complicated issue. Computers needing replaced, wires being goofed up, etc.
    The reason I asked that in the detail that I did, was no one yet has been able to tell me yes. I've also read multiple threads that said flipping the toggle to disabled didn't do anything at all. I've googled that exact term and found most involve camming, engine swap and bcm removal, dealers getting involved, ignition switch tampering, wiring, and the like. I appreciate your input but I think I'm going to have to keep searching for a bit more detail to put my mind at ease. It's not you, it's the car. haha
    Thank you though!

Tuner in Training
    I found this just a few posts up.

5FDP said:
    5 Days Ago

Once you have it, you will have to read the computer so you can view the file. Make sure you have the required credits as well so you can license the computer when you save your changes.

It may or may not put the VCM editor into basic view so double check that under the edit tab once you have the file open. Click edit, view and switch it to advanced so you can see all the tables.

Under the OS tab there will be two VATS (anti theft) patches that you will want to disable. Set them both to disable and save the file. Now you have to write this change back into the computer for it to take effect.

This is very important here, ANYTIME the vats is under the OS the computer must be written with a "Write Entire". The changes will not work if you do "write calibration only". Past that all your other changes can be a calibration only write.

Like after you do the VATS disable, say you want to disable other related codes for EVAP, rear o2 sensors or whatever. Those changes can be saved and then written back with a calibration only write.

I'm unaware of a valet mode but for sure being a swapped vehicle you want the VATS disabled so it would start and run without a hiccup.

--‐---

That's probably why it didn't work for them. They wasn't programming it right.

Potential Tuner
    Update: So I took it to a tuner shop to have the vats disabled. Success! My dead battery key will now start the car!
    It gets deeper though. If I unlock the door using only the metal of the key ( good or dead battery key) and open the door: ALARM STARTS GOING OFF.
    Amidst the alarm going off however, I can still start and run the car with either key.
    So now my issue is: Factory alarm.
    I talked more to the tuner at the shop and called a few other places. Nobody seems to know whether or not there's any way to disable the alarm. That is, outside of hitting the unlock button on the key....
    Any help?

That won't be a PCM function, so HPT can't do that.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.