Thread: Idle Desired Airflow not corresponding with RAF table?

Potential Tuner

Idle Desired Airflow not corresponding with RAF table?

Posted this on the Facebook group but I'll post it here too.

Still having an issue with my truck not idling in gear after the cam swap when my engine is cold. Did the Russk method of setting the RAF table so it should be close. I can see the desired airflow take a drastic drop when i shift into gear and it doesn't correspond with what the in gear portion of the table is calling for, any ideas what could be causing this?

I made a video to demonstrate the problem, it can be seen here: https://youtu.be/EBKIfzimqNg

My current tune and a log that was recorded during the video is attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Having similar issue trying to tune idle where IAC counts seem to start dropping and doing what ever they want regardless of what the idle in gear % airflow table says.

Thought it had something to do with the throttle follower tables but to no avail. All adaptive idle is disabled too

Don't use desired airflow to adjust the base idle airflow table.

Use STIT and LTIT.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    Don't use desired airflow to adjust the base idle airflow table.

Use STIT and LTIT.
    Thats like saying don't tune the VE table, let the STFTs and LTFTs take care of it, i personally dont tune like that.

And in my specific case my ECU doesnt have STIT or LTIT as loggable PIDs.

No actually it isn't. You can actually tune the VE table using STFT and/or LTFT, not just let them correct it for you...

Desired idle airflow you are logging is the total airflow after other variables have been added in. The "Base" running airflow table is the starting point thus to adjust it you need the core correction factors that are correcting it. Short term idle trim and long term idle trim are the direct modifiers to that base table. The object is to get STIT and LTIT as close to zero as possible.

All Gen3 applications have STIT and LTIT. If it's not populating on yours then you need to repoll for supported parameters within the scanner.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400