Thread: Question for the Experts: E40 ECM and Electric Fan Clutch

Tuner in Training

Question for the Experts: E40 ECM and Electric Fan Clutch

Was advised to repost this here......

I have a very unusual project. I won?t bore you with the details, but it is an E40 ECM running a non-LS engine.

I have two potential problems. The first is that I am using a non-electronically controlled transmission. I understand that the SSR tune can be set up to run a manual transmission or in my case and non-electronic automatic transmission.

The second problem I have is that I was planning to use the electronic fan clutch from the Chevy Trailblazer.

I have the wiring diagrams for both vehicles. The issue I think I may have is that if I use a base tune from the SSR, it will not be set up to use the trailblazer type fan clutch. If I use the trailblazer tune, it will be set up for an automatic transmission. I know that HP tuners will allow me to select an electronic fan clutch as an option, so I?m wondering if I can use a base tune for the SSR, and then just change the type of fan in the software and then wire it like the trailblazer. I?m kind of stumped here and I really don?t want to go to electric fans if I can help it.

Any advice would be appreciated .

Yes, you can use a SSR M6 file*. Yes you can just change the settings in the SSR file to use the EV clutch instead of discrete. The trigger wire for the SSR fan low speed relay is C1 pin 36, control wire for the TB/Envoy EV fan is... wait for it... C1 pin 36. Just change the SSR fan settings & tables to match the TB/Envoy.

*Be aware that there are two distinct flavors of E40 and they are not interchangeable. 2005 (Service Numbers 12578554, 12597883) and 2006 (Service Number 12596679). You can only use 2005 ECMs with 2005 tune files, and 2006 ECMs with 2006 tune files.