Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Copperhead Definition Update

I think Eric has to update each strategy individually.

He got it pushed into FPDX0, but using today's beta and checking a handful of "stock" 2011-2014 strategies I have on hand, the update hasn't made it into any of them.

I hope the update get's pushed across soon. There are some useful tables in there.

Hopefully, I've been patiently waiting for the 4r200 clutch tables and turbine ratio table to be added.

I'm updating them as I am able to. If you have something pressing waiting on it, email support and I can get to yours a bit quicker.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    I'm updating them as I am able to. If you have something pressing waiting on it, email support and I can get to yours a bit quicker.
    Thanks Eric, dumb question but why do every strategy known to ford when you could do maybe 4 or 5 and have everyone switch over to those? Free up a lot of time and get deeper Into the ones most commonly used? I'm sure there is a reason just soemthing I wondered.
    2011 Mustang GT TT A6
    1998 Eclipse GSX Awd

Strategy switching isn't really recommended by HPT. The process is clunky, more expensive (6 credits vs 2), and you could lose vehicle functionality if they don't match 100%.

I would love if if the strategy change process was streamlined! Boosted cars benefit from boost friendly strategies.

Quote Originally Posted by CCS86 View Post
    Strategy switching isn't really recommended by HPT. The process is clunky, more expensive (6 credits vs 2), and you could lose vehicle functionality if they don't match 100%.

I would love if if the strategy change process was streamlined! Boosted cars benefit from boost friendly strategies.

Mine and a few others seemed to swap over without much fuss. What kinda hiccups have you ran into? The credit thing i could see as a deterrent and would have to be completely re established another way to ID a paying customer.

It'll never happen, but a Boost friendly Custom OS for heavily modified vehicles with some custom features, trans brake, two step, waste-gate duty tables, maybe SD map based conversion, boost cut added etc etc, Similar to some of what the GM guys got these days. Now that would be the hot ticket. I think I just need a standalone haha
    2011 Mustang GT TT A6
    1998 Eclipse GSX Awd

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrooks98 View Post
    Mine and a few others seemed to swap over without much fuss. What kinda hiccups have you ran into? The credit thing i could see as a deterrent and would have to be completely re established another way to ID a paying customer.

It'll never happen, but a Boost friendly Custom OS for heavily modified vehicles with some custom features, trans brake, two step, waste-gate duty tables, maybe SD map based conversion, boost cut added etc etc, Similar to some of what the GM guys got these days. Now that would be the hot ticket. I think I just need a standalone haha
    GM guys haven't had custom operating systems since 2009 so I wouldn't expect anything anytime soon.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Just search the forum for stories about the hiccups. I know how to do it, but even with specific instructions remote tuning customers find ways to mess it up. It's not entirely straightforward having to license a tune, flash it, read it back out, save it, license it again, and then flash it back.

And again, it costs 3 times as much, with 2 of those credits being "throw away", since you are licensing [someone else's VIN + new strategy] combination. That doesn't seem fair.

I still don't understand why they can't just license your VIN, once. Then the vehicle writer can just look for the VIN of the ECU you are writing to for validation, and ignore the VIN on the tune file because it is irrelevant.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

I still don't understand why they can't just license your VIN, once. Then the vehicle writer can just look for the VIN of the ECU you are writing to for validation, and ignore the VIN on the tune file because it is irrelevant.
    Because this would open up licensing loopholes ie people could just change every vehicle to the same vin number and never need to license anything ever again.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Because this would open up licensing loopholes ie people could just change every vehicle to the same vin number and never need to license anything ever again.

How so?

Even if you flash a tune with a different VIN, it doesn't change the vehicle's VIN.

Senior Tuner
    How so?

Even if you flash a tune with a different VIN, it doesn't change the vehicle's VIN.
    You can change what VIN is reported using methods other than HP Tuners so then you would be able to do what Bill said. Every vehicle that comes long you just swap VIN and open your normal tune in HP Tuners and flash it.

The only thing that bugs me with strategy swap is I think if you have unlimited licenses for the years you should be able to swap in HP Tuners without having to use different methods to swap strategy or pay for credits for something you have unlimited on

Just search the forum for stories about the hiccups. I know how to do it, but even with specific instructions remote tuning customers find ways to mess it up. It's not entirely straightforward having to license a tune, flash it, read it back out, save it, license it again, and then flash it back.

And again, it costs 3 times as much, with 2 of those credits being "throw away", since you are licensing [someone else's VIN + new strategy] combination. That doesn't seem fair.

The problem you're describing has to do with HPtuners needing multiple credits and how they manage that system, not the swap of the strategy its self. As I said the current system would need to be re established. Hptuners is a smart bunch and probably have a 1000 ideas how that could be. Anyway, Another vender we won't name seems to swap between strategies with out issues. Some do it routinely on the handheld from one tune to another.
    2011 Mustang GT TT A6
    1998 Eclipse GSX Awd

Quote Originally Posted by ridenrunwv View Post
    You can change what VIN is reported using methods other than HP Tuners so then you would be able to do what Bill said. Every vehicle that comes long you just swap VIN and open your normal tune in HP Tuners and flash it.

The only thing that bugs me with strategy swap is I think if you have unlimited licenses for the years you should be able to swap in HP Tuners without having to use different methods to swap strategy or pay for credits for something you have unlimited on

So, what prevents someone from licensing a [strategy + VIN] combination once, and using that on multiple vehicles currently?

The problem you're describing has to do with HPtuners needing multiple credits and how they manage that system, not the swap of the strategy its self. As I said the current system would need to be re established. Hptuners is a smart bunch and probably have a 1000 ideas how that could be. Anyway, Another vender we won't name seems to swap between strategies with out issues. Some do it routinely on the handheld from one tune to another.

Absolutely.

My strategy swap actually came by way of Lund on my nGauge. His nGauge firmware apparently skips the VIN matching check that the HP Tuners firmware does. I verified with eMotion, that the nGauge is capable of doing a strategy change, but that they added a VIN matching check at HPT request. It sucks, because I can't strategy change remote tuning customers with just an nGauge, which loses me and HPT potential customers.

I totally understand not wanting to open up a loophole that allows people to cheat them out of money. I just want to open up a discussion with them about ways the licensing could be improved to protect their interests and help out people who want to support and recommend their products. Losing customers because of unnecessary complications is a bummer.

I did something similar, I took my buddies dealer SCT and upload the strategy I wanted for free then read it out with Hptuners saving me 2 credits.
    2011 Mustang GT TT A6
    1998 Eclipse GSX Awd

Senior Tuner
    So, what prevents someone from licensing a [strategy + VIN] combination once, and using that on multiple vehicles currently?
    I've never tried it but pretty sure nothing could stop that. I didn't mean to get into ways to cheat the system with this post

I'm just saying that you can't claim licensing the VIN only, instead of VIN+strategy, creates a loophole; if that loophole already exists.

Just like they say, locks are to keep honest people honest. Where there is a will, there is a way.

It seems like progress updating all the various strategies has stalled out. It's probably worth emailing support to express interest.

There is a lot of useful stuff in the update.

It seems like progress updating all the various strategies has stalled out. It's probably worth emailing support to express interest.

There is a lot of useful stuff in the update.
    Seems that way.
    2011 Mustang GT TT A6
    1998 Eclipse GSX Awd

Advanced Tuner
    I did something similar, I took my buddies dealer SCT and upload the strategy I wanted for free then read it out with Hptuners saving me 2 credits.
    Curious on this as you still would need a X4 or BDX or did you already have a device?