Thread: I need timing help.

I need timing help.

I'm not sure how to approach setting the timing tables. I'm running E-85 on a 2009 4.6 2v engine. I've added a little bit but since my ECM doesn't seem to support showing me any knock or retard info on my scanner I'm unsure how much is safe to add. I see some tunes were a TON (at least to me) has been added. Like in the neighborhood of 15 to 20 degrees from about 2000 rpm on..

So any insight is appreciated. I attached a screen shot of my current timing tables.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Advanced Tuner
    Its been a very long time since ive tuned an n/a vic but iirc they had very low timing at wot. I vivdly remember my old 2005 vic only had 4 degrees of timing at wot on 87 octane all original with the stock tune. Iirc it laid down an impressive 185rwhp or so with only 17k miles on the clock over a decade ago.

You should have no problem taking it to 20 degrees up top at WOT and go from there. Best to command 0.82 lambda at wot for safety as well.

On fords you can look over the MBT spark table to give you an idea what it will want.

btw I got rid of that car in 2009 and regretted it. i missed it so much I bought a Marauder to replace it that I still daily drive occasionally to this day.

Ok! Do you think just copying over the MBT table to the Borderline table would be a bad idea? That's my initial thought due to the fuel I'm using. I'm working on getting the scanner to log knock. It's a steep learning curve.

I hear ya about these cars. They aren't fast but there is just something about them. If my math is right I got mine up to about 190 rwhp now. I just want to get over 200 rwhp and some added drive ability on demand power.

Love the Marauders. Can't really find them around here.

Advanced Tuner
    Post your tune file we can help

Ok... Here it is.. This is my current tune file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by 09Vic; 08-16-2019 at 09:36 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Do you have your stock file as well?

I sure do. Here it is.

Advanced Tuner
    made a few changes, kept spark mild since i dont know what octane you are going to run.

Thank you for taking the time. I see you changed quite a few things. I'll do more research on those so I can better understand. I'll give it a try soon and let you know.

BTW I run exclusively e-85 in this car. Its from the pump so the "85" part varies.

Thanks again!

Advanced Tuner
    I’ll go back over and prolly add some more tweaks, do you often check the alcohol content and see the percent it is or does it vary quite a bit

Advanced Tuner
    tweaked your fuel tables for the e85 it should work better then before i was not aware you were on e85

I've checked it a few times it seems to vary depending on the seasons. It's on average around the 70% range. I've got to get a new tester, broke the old one and haven't checked in a while.

Thanks a bunch for the update. I'll see if I get a chance to test it out tomorrow... At the latest I'll know on Monday.

Advanced Tuner
    70% is still plenty for a stock 2v you will have no problems taking her to mbt

Advanced Tuner
    That is right it does not have to test at 80 or better, a consistent 70 is more then enough for that

Thanks for the input guys!

Ran it today. Gained about 23 ft lbs of torque over my previous log file so that's great!! It runs really well, very smooth. Gained about 5 degrees of timing. (4.8) at my log point which is 70 mph in 2nd gear at WOT.

Fuel is still lagging for some reason. As far as I can tell it should be commanding .85 lambda but according to my log during initial WOT it goes from 1.0 to .883 then slowly starts ramping back up to 1.0 eventually stopping at .935 when I let off the throttle. If this is normal then great!! If not then something isn't allowing it to . Ill attach a log file if anyone would like to go over it.

Thanks a TON Bill88stang!! Its working really well!

Advanced Tuner
    No problem glad to help!

Ok one last question...

I apparently don't have any open loop fuel tables to adjust. So I'm stuck modifying stoich to get a target WOT (open loop) fuel ratio. So is this a workable option if I also adjust the fuel tables to reflect the stoich changes? Or is there a better way?

Lololol. Man I must've been tired. Disregard the post above this one..