Thread: Guidance for Ford diesel

Tuner in Training

Guidance for Ford diesel

Hello everyone, I am looking for information on the basics of diesel tuning, it will be my first time that I have to tune a diesel ford and to be my first time I want to do a good job, any basic information on the internet that you know? Or just what should I know?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli R. Morales View Post
    Hello everyone, I am looking for information on the basics of diesel tuning, it will be my first time that I have to tune a diesel ford and to be my first time I want to do a good job, any basic information on the internet that you know? Or just what should I know?
    For just the ECM there is a lot going on. 6.7 Powerstrokes are completely torque based. Pedal is mapped to desired torque which is then mapped to a fuel quantity. The Quantity is then mapped Injector Pulsewidth and fuel pressure. Injection timing is completely relative to Torque Fuel Quantity, Injector Pulsewidth, and Fuel Rail Pressure. Timing and fueling are also dependent on what Engine Operating Mode which is dependent on engine and air temperature, altitude, and regen cycles. 11-16 is very similar in it's operation. The 17+ ECM changes things up a little bit.

Diesel Tuning is not well documented because that would take money away from the people that do it. On my list is getting my resources together so that a basics guide can be put together. I will say that the Operation theory behind the 11-16 6.7 powerstroke and the 11-16 LML Duramax are extremely similar as they are both EDC17 and use Bosch CP4 injection systems.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadams87 View Post
    For just the ECM there is a lot going on. 6.7 Powerstrokes are completely torque based. Pedal is mapped to desired torque which is then mapped to a fuel quantity. The Quantity is then mapped Injector Pulsewidth and fuel pressure. Injection timing is completely relative to Torque Fuel Quantity, Injector Pulsewidth, and Fuel Rail Pressure. Timing and fueling are also dependent on what Engine Operating Mode which is dependent on engine and air temperature, altitude, and regen cycles. 11-16 is very similar in it's operation. The 17+ ECM changes things up a little bit.

Diesel Tuning is not well documented because that would take money away from the people that do it. On my list is getting my resources together so that a basics guide can be put together. I will say that the Operation theory behind the 11-16 6.7 powerstroke and the 11-16 LML Duramax are extremely similar as they are both EDC17 and use Bosch CP4 injection systems.
    Good points to start, thanks