Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.7 engine in 5.9 truck with 5.9ECU

Tuner in Training

6.7 engine in 5.9 truck with 5.9ECU

I am chasing after some help with running a 5.9 truck with just an engine swap to a 6.7.
    Everything in the truck is 5.9 besides the engine long block and the injectors, rail and fuel pump. truck will run on stock 5.9 tune and will rev nicely.
    I have tried to convert all the parameters from the stock 6.7 ecu and it runs a lot smoother just will not rev until its up to operation temp and when it does will blow a lot of raw fuel out the exhaust (white Smoke)

any help would be great in trying to get this headache up and running

Banned
    First, when people ask for help with their tunes, post your tune. No one will help and cannot help if you do not post your tune. There is an extremely limited amount of people that are going to have some magical voodoo in their tune to not want to post it.

Next, if you are spraying lots of raw fuel out the exhaust, best check your injectors are properly seated and aren?t leaking from sticking.

Then, a 5.9 ecm doesn?t operate like a 6.7 ecm. Not to mention you aren?t even giving specific years here for the ecms your are taking parameter values from and putting into what year ecm??? On the subject of parameters, you know there is 10?s of thousands of parameters? And lots of the aren?t a simple copy numbers over.
    Last edited by Jim P; 08-17-2019 at 10:16 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Attached is the stock 5.9 file which is out of an 06 5.9 auto, also attached is the stock file for the 07 6.7 file and the 5.9 file that has been modified with 6.7 timing and pulse widths.

The injectors are all okay as the engine is brand new and was running great on the 07 6.7 ecm.

The reason for the swap to the 6.7 engine is because the truck has been converted to right hand drive here in Australia and the original 5.9 melted piston number 1 completely off due to the customer buying ebay $100 injectors which failed. The customer then supplied the 6.7 to fit to the truck with all the 5.9 hardware (i.e. turbos, manifolds, wiring harness etc)

I have tried to convert as many parameters as possible over in the timing and fueling. All we need this truck to do is to run smooth as possible as I know the voltage issues with the 5.9 ECM and 6.7 injectors are an issue and for it to be able to drive with somewhat near standard power. We are not chasing horsepower at all out of this truck.

Let me know if you need any more information as this is a massive learning curve for me and still trying to work it all out with the very limited information I can get on these here in Australia since they were only private imports not actually sold here by the manufacture.

Banned
    There isn?t any voltage issue with the 5.9 ecm running 6.7 injectors, however, there is current differences for pull-in, peak and hold needed between the two different injectors. I used to have a tune file for 5.9 ecm to run 6.7 injectors but that computer had crashed on me quite some time back so that file is lost. I was running the 6.7 injectors in a 5.9 engine and off a 5.9 ecm. There is differences in how the different generations of ecms actually operate and run. 03-04 behaves a bit different from 04.5-07, 04.5-07 behaves a bit different from 07.5-09, then it changes more when going to 10-12 then again from 13-18. Some parameters that I found that helped you can?t see with the basic tables that any platform of choice shows, they have to do with combustion modeling prediction of the ecm and play a role in injection. Give me some time and I can make modifications beyond what you see in HP Tuners and what they show for tables.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks a lot. Any help or information that I can get at the moment will be a lot of help.

Banned
    You using the 6.7 sensors on the engine? Like the 6.7 rail pressure sensor, etc.?

Tuner in Training
    we are using the 5.9 fuel rail sensor as it works with the 5.9 harness. The rest of the sensors are from the 5.9 as well
    Last edited by keegz2; 08-19-2019 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Wrong wording

Banned
    K. I got a bunch of the hidden fueling stuff worked over. Just needed to know if I needed to rescale sensor for the 6.7L sensors or not. Too bad HP Tuners doesn?t allow access to sensor input/output addressing, I could probably give you vgt turbo control from the 2006 ecm as well, everything is there for it just needs addressing to ecm pins.

Tuner in Training
    It?s a shame hp tuners doesn?t allow access to that. Would make things a lot easier. We are not running the vgt turbo on this motor as it would create a lot more hassles then needed.

Tuner in Training
    Just seeing how you went with that file?? What software are you using to rescale all the sensors and hidden fuelling that hp tuners doesn’t allow?

Banned
    Sorry I been crazy busy and spent the last 2.5 days driving across the country, I can get back on it today. I use a hex editor, Cummins software and hp tuners.

Banned
    I have a comparison file showing all the differences between the two different ecms for all the parameters.

Banned
    The two ecms are setup to interact between the correction tables and air density tables differently from each other along with lots of different fuel correction values for accessories and the injectors, etc.

Tuner in Training
    That’s no worries at all. Been flat out myself as well. To many things on the go.
    That’s on thing that sucks about Australia is the lack of knowledge, support and parts for these trucks. Even Cummins don’t have any info and neither does dodge because they aren’t sold here.

I have a 03 that i'm running a 6.7 in. It runs great. The only issue I have is throttle sensitivity. Even when I pull a lot of fuel and time out. Turbo spools too fast. i attached it here for you to compare
    Attached Files Attached Files
    1969 nova w/ ls3
    2020 ram hemi
    2009 ALS-V Cadillac
    99 s10 w/ 09 G8 L76 turbo

Tuner in Training
    Cheers I will give that a try and see how it goes for the time being so I can move the truck around.

Quote Originally Posted by ltcbm View Post
    I have a 03 that i'm running a 6.7 in. It runs great. The only issue I have is throttle sensitivity. Even when I pull a lot of fuel and time out. Turbo spools too fast. i attached it here for you to compare
    you run it at 20 deg with 2800us of duration.....you don't get the max power you can have with this tune
    03 cummins,175% flux injectors,dual cp3,s467.7/83 1.00
    Nv5600 with valair triple disc clutch

Banned
    Not everyone is looking for max power

Tuner in Training
    Not after max power at all. Really would like it to just be able to run like factory. That file helped only it is noisy at idle with louder then normal diesel rattle. Is good when first started just noisy after it settles down and 10-15 seconds later.

Banned
    Working as hard as I can when I can to change everything so it basically runs like it would off a 6.7 ecm but with a non vgt turbo. It?s a real pain in the arse to do with HPT?s setup. MM3 would be WAY faster to do.