Thread: LS3 E38 Open Loop VE Tuning

Tuner

LS3 E38 Open Loop VE Tuning

HI,

I am trying for first time to calibrate the VE table on a 2016 SS Sedan that recently had a 2.9 Whipple and headers installed, otherwise stock LS3.

The trouble is I don't think the car is staying in closed loop. STFT's seem to be modulating to control AFR, and when I log the PID for Closed Loop Active it shows "YES" once the ECT gets up to temp.

I did set MAF fail high to 0, and MAF fail low to 15000, I've set the LTFT Enable Min ECT to 491 and Max to 0 for LTFT.

I've attached a copy of the calibration file and a fairly lengthy log. I'm using an AEM X-Series OBD2 wideband.

The reason for the VE adjustment: I would like to be sure the car runs fine in Speed Density just in case the MAF ever fails in the future.

Please, if you guys could take a look at the calibration and log file, and advise whether I'm in Open loop or not, and any other advice?

Thank you!

just ran into this the other day tuning my G8. Go to engine<fuel<oxygen sensors. on the right it says monitoring. make o2 rediness ect 493

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Srblacks13 View Post
    just ran into this the other day tuning my G8. Go to engine<fuel<oxygen sensors. on the right it says monitoring. make o2 rediness ect 493
    Awesome! That was effective to keep it in open loop.

I am more confused more now on this VE tuning process... I have lowered the values in the VE table in the low load region quite a bit as I keep logginglean AFR values in the AFR Error histogram, and copying multiply % to the virtual VE table, save, flash, log again. However the changes seem to have no affect on AFR in the next log. I also am looking now and I can see that the Mass Airflow (SAE) value is not really any lower at a given cell (RPM/kPA). This leads me to believe something other than the VE table is dominating the Air Mass calculation... anybody able to say why or shed a light on what I'm missing?

Thanks so much and sorry to be an idiot!
    2016 Chevy SS Sedan M6 SBE LS3, Whipple 2.9L, 3.625 upper/stock lower pulleys for 9.5psi, TSP Stg 3 SC Cam, ID 1050x injectors, LS7 MAF, DSX Aux Pump, DSX Flex Fuel Sensor
    2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8, 6.1 HEMI, Edelbrock E-Force TVS-2300, 9psi

Senior Tuner
    set maf fail low to 1 and high to 2, high and low count to 1, test ert 0, test rpm min 0, test enable delay 0, set P0103 104 105 to mil on first error to go into VE, MAF high rpm disable 8100 low 8000, offset v inj temp dont zero out table

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    set maf fail low to 1 and high to 2, high and low count to 1, test ert 0, test rpm min 0, test enable delay 0, set P0103 104 105 to mil on first error to go into VE, MAF high rpm disable 8100 low 8000, offset v inj temp dont zero out table
    Do u mean Dynamic Airflow High RPM Disable and Re-Enable instead of MAF high rpm disable and low? I dont have the selections you mention.

Also, do u mean P0101, 102 and 103? I do not have 104 or 105.

Is there any way to positively know via logging that the system is in VE? I was thinking I should be able to log Volumetric Efficiency Airflowand the realtime value should match Mass Airflow (SAE)?

Advanced Tuner
    Log airflow mode and it should say MAF Failed or similar.

Tuner
    Found my problem. Needed to paste-multiply % to all four VVE tables.

Just out of curiosity, which table(s) out of the four are actually used on the Chevy SS LS3? I made my VE edits in all four, but I imagine only one or two of the tables are actually used?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ngc1068 View Post
    Do u mean Dynamic Airflow High RPM Disable and Re-Enable instead of MAF high rpm disable and low? I dont have the selections you mention.

Also, do u mean P0101, 102 and 103? I do not have 104 or 105.

Is there any way to positively know via logging that the system is in VE? I was thinking I should be able to log Volumetric Efficiency Airflowand the realtime value should match Mass Airflow (SAE)?
    yea those are correct jees not sure what i was looking at when writing it up yea as said that airflow mode will tell u what its doing, best to just copy to all 4 vve tables but its mainly for the LS with variable intake manifold or somethign like that