Thread: cam degreeing

Tuner in Training

cam degreeing

does a stage one turbo cam have to be degreed in

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    The manufacturers are really good at making them line up when installed on a factory timing set. You should be fine as far as position goes.

Advanced Tuner
    Agreed. I don't think any of the big shops degree anything cut by CamMotion or Comp these days. All of the CamMotion stuff comes with a cam doctor sheet, too. So any slop at all will be in the sprockets.

In short I agree with the "line up the dots and let it ride" approach.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    i had a custom turbo cam ground by Howards. It had a cam card and just like any other build i have done with an adjustable timing set, i installed it and used the 0 adjustment marks on the gear set. i put my cam wheel on and set my dial indicator up to find out it was dead nuts on the money. if i built another one for a more street/strip scenario instead of pure strip, i would skip the double roller and run new factory gears and chain.

the biggest deal is typically checking the valve springs for proper coil bind clearance and making sure the rocker arms aren't rotating to far if they still have oem trunions. with oem trunions, if you rotate too far the side cover falls off and all the needles fall out. I personally run a solid bushing trunion from SME because i fear the needles falling out, but the other manufacturers with rollers and clips work just fine. I had a set of CompCams trunions installed for almost 2 years prior to switching to bushings.

Quote Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
    Agreed. I don't think any of the big shops degree anything cut by CamMotion or Comp these days. All of the CamMotion stuff comes with a cam doctor sheet, too. So any slop at all will be in the sprockets.

In short I agree with the "line up the dots and let it ride" approach.
    i like the cammotion software. used it to create a custom grind which was a lot closer on power target than i thought it would be.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 08-19-2019 at 09:26 PM.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman