Thread: Refreshing an ECM to a different OS

Tuner in Training

Refreshing an ECM to a different OS

Sorry. Total noob. I have a classic car that is getting an E40 ECM controlled setup. I have an E40 ECM from on 2005 GTO. I need it flashed as an 05 SSR manual apparently. How do I go about doing this?

Also, once this is done, will I have to buy more credits for the new software?

Lastly, would I be better off just buying the ECM with the correct software in the first place?

Trying to get best bang for the buck. Thanks.

Use a dealership level tool to flash in a stock SSR file. Then you only have to spend 2 credits to license the new file.

Doing it the other way will cost you several more credits and or could brick the computer if something went south.

Or find a used computer from a SSR, though that is likely to be really hard as it's not a popular car.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    If this is a project vehicle, being built from scratch, I would recommend using a P59 PCM (with an electric throttle body), or a P01 PCM (with a cable throttle body).

The E40 ECM was a two year "wonder" used with 24x CKP (Gen 3) engines.

Tuner in Training
    Unfortunately some of the things I want to do like run a PWM fan requires the E40 ECM or later. I can?t do later because my custom cam sensor for my Olds 455 That this is running requires a 24x cam compatible ECM. I need cruise to work with just the ECM and I need LS2 style knock sensors due to the block setup. I think the e40 fits all those needs well.

What vehicle did the core ECM come from? If it's anything other than another GMT360 platform, it cannot be done with HPT anyway no matter how many credits because of the built-in TAC section that HPT (allegedly?) can't access. Finding someone with the tools to do a dealer-type flash with a stock GM calibration using the VIN from a '05 SSR 6MT* is really the surest, safest way.

*1GCES14H55B117882