Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: shift points

Tuner in Training
    Well, I took the plunge and updated the TCU with my modified file. The update seemed to go well so I took the car for a test and unfortunately it appears to be limited by ECU tune. I was bumping up against a max RPM of about 6600 instead off the 7200 RPM I was expecting. Some where along the way I was given the impression that the GIAC stage 2 tune would redline at 7200 RPM. Unless I am missing something in the TCU adjustments I made I need to contact GIAC about this issue.
    I am now back to stock settings so at least I am more comfortable with the process, whew!!!

Here is my modified TCU file for anyone to check and see if I missed something.

Edit: Just found that I did not change the TCM RPM limit under the general tab. It was at the stock setting of 6950 RPM, Do you guys think this could be my issue?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jfrAudi; 10-10-2020 at 08:42 PM.

Tuner in Training
    If I had to guess, I'd think it is still your trans tune. Also Imo it's easier if you try adjusting one parameter at a time and making sure it is working as you like before adjusting other things.

Did you adjust the shift tables in OSS Limits, in the top right side of shift scheduling? I had an issue where my car wasn't shifting as high as I wanted it to, but adjusting the bottom few rows in that table really helped.

While AFAIK nobody here is certain of what it does, I think that table is essentially a master table, so you adjust that for the Max OSS your car will see for each gear. That way if you accidentally tell a different table to up shift at 10,000rpm it won't, since it's still limited by that table? I guess it would still be limited by the engine redline and the engine rpm at which the trans goes into limp mode. (Adjustable in the first page of hp tuners)

Conclusion: just make sure the bottom few rows of those max OSS tables are the same as your most aggressive shift scheduling profile. Also try doing an acceleration run while logging throttle position, you may be surprised at it's actual value. Then that will help you know what you're adjusting in thr tunes.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the feedback, I think the TCM RPM Limit of 6950 RPM was my issue. I did not change that setting so that may have been what was limiting my car. I think that is the setting you reference as what puts the trans into limp mode. I will find out tomorrow. I did change the OSS tables in my original modification because I read through this thread and found were you guys discussed this setting.

Tuner in Training
    Yes that was the table I was referring to.

However that doesn't stop you from hitting high rpm necessarily, it will just throw a transmission error if your rpm exceeds that (and goes into neutral). I had it happen once when I floored it on ice in the winter before my trans tune lol, since it couldn't shift out of first fast enough to prevent rpm past 6950.

So I don't think that's your problem... I would guess it's still in your shift tables. I don't have my hp tuners with me at the moment, so I won't be able to check your file. Although if you send me screenshot(s) of shift tables I may be able to help you out

Tuner in Training
    disable auto upshift in manual mode and adjust the rpm limit on the general tab and the 2 max engine speed OSS limits and do a pull. that should let you know if it's the tcu or ecu holding you back.

or contact GIAC and ask what their rpm limit is.

Tuner in Training
    So I got in touch with GIAC and found that my tune has an RPM limit of 6800. Getting a larger crank pulley installed this week and having GIAC upgrade my tune to a dual pulley tune with max RPM set to 7800. This should allow me to raise my shift points to 7000 RPM or more if I desire. Wondering if anyone has figured out how to improve the shift times. Also had the shop doing the pulley upgrade perform a compression test on all 6 cylinders. My engine has a little over 100K miles. Any way the results were excellent considering the mileage. Four cylinder had a compression of 170psi, one had 160psi and one was at 180psi.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrAudi View Post
    So I got in touch with GIAC and found that my tune has an RPM limit of 6800. Getting a larger crank pulley installed this week and having GIAC upgrade my tune to a dual pulley tune with max RPM set to 7800. This should allow me to raise my shift points to 7000 RPM or more if I desire. Wondering if anyone has figured out how to improve the shift times. Also had the shop doing the pulley upgrade perform a compression test on all 6 cylinders. My engine has a little over 100K miles. Any way the results were excellent considering the mileage. Four cylinder had a compression of 170psi, one had 160psi and one was at 180psi.
    That's really awesome compression!

I just use vmax mode when I need fast shifts. Some people also increase the speed to activate vmax so they can get rolling vmax if they really want it. I like using vmax since it's an audi-designed profile so I'm not too too worried about breaking things

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodepic View Post
    That's really awesome compression!

I just use vmax mode when I need fast shifts. Some people also increase the speed to activate vmax so they can get rolling vmax if they really want it. I like using vmax since it's an audi-designed profile so I'm not too too worried about breaking things
    Ok, you got me confused with your vmax mode. What is it, where is it and how do you change it?

Potential Tuner
    Hi, I'm just getting into tuning and have a ZF8 in my SQ5 and would like to set some of the TCU shift points to be more aggressive, specifically when in sport mode. Was wondering if any of you have a .hpt you can share that has such already pre-tuned that I can use as a good baseline and then fine tune from there?

Tuner in Training
    It's not for an SQ5, but previously someone helped me out with a file, earlier in this thread. Open that .hpt and you can see what they changed!

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodepic View Post
    It's not for an SQ5, but previously someone helped me out with a file, earlier in this thread. Open that .hpt and you can see what they changed!
    will do and thanks. I also got the RS7 hpt.

Quote Originally Posted by ParisAudi View Post
    will do and thanks. I also got the RS7 hpt.
    The SQ5 has one of the most aggressive stock tunes from audi. With the 3.0 the greatest gains come from increasing the shift points higher and setting up your slip. If you want to do more there is a bunch of reading in here and the dodge tranny forum or you could contact Berk.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bb-tt View Post
    The SQ5 has one of the most aggressive stock tunes from audi. With the 3.0 the greatest gains come from increasing the shift points higher and setting up your slip. If you want to do more there is a bunch of reading in here and the dodge tranny forum or you could contact Berk.
    Ok thanks for the info on the current setup, where would I look at to increase the shift points for the various drive mode types? I know this is a rather basic question, but it's just to get started.