Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: shift points

[QUOTE=Woodepic;616475]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemithis01 View Post

Okay thanks so much!

Edit: Holy cow those are wicked fast times. What tune is your engine on and / or how much power are you making? That is truly crazy
    I use hp tuners to tune both the ecu and tcu. There is guy named tyler on here that has helped me understand a lot on the ecu side. I have not put car on the dyno but i would guess around 500ish. Car is completely full weight and completely stock exhaust. So it surprises a lot of people when i blow them out the water and its so quiet. Lol

Tuner in Training
    I use hp tuners to tune both the ecu and tcu. There is guy named tyler on here that has helped me understand a lot on the ecu side. I have not put car on the dyno but i would guess around 500ish. Car is completely full weight and completely stock exhaust. So it surprises a lot of people when i blow them out the water and its so quiet. Lol
    That's amazing. What supporting mods have you done? Pulleys, throttle body, cooling etc. It's funny, I've got 3.2 second 0-60s in my buddy's R8 V10 plus before, and yet you're getting that in an a7 hahha

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ELaw View Post
    Hey if it helps any, here is a stock 2016 RS7 tune including the transmission, that I found here on the forums a while back.
    Thank you!! looking through it I'm jealous of the launch control and burble options they have lol

Tuner in Training
    Ill use your file and build the shift tables how i run them so you can compare. I'm always changing shift points testing to see what rpm nets the fastest passes. So far 7100ish seems to be the fastest for my car. But i run the 2-3 shift a bit higher to help 0-60 like stated before. The attached pics are from a pull i did this morning in my 2012 a7.
    Also here's my stock .hpt file, it will be easier for you to change parameters on this rather than my incorrectly modified one haha. Thanks for doing this!
    Stock Trans Tune.hpt

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ed1380 View Post
    Thank you!! looking through it I'm jealous of the launch control and burble options they have lol
    Let me know if you make any progress with it! Also just for the record, which car/engine/trans do you have? If it's the same as my A7 and you are getting good results, I'd love to play around with a more RS7-esk tune haha

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by bb-tt View Post

But do have questions on what you said on aggression maps as i have been under the impression that aggression 1 = drive, 2 = manual mode, 3 = sport mode, and 4 = amax. There are some differences between the sw in the dodge and ours and i believe Steven has made changes to editor also. Funny i was going to say i need to put in another ticket i do not have TCM 30001 that shows shift pattern mapping for esp on/off but looking closer at the link it looks like it uses the same shift pattern whether esp/esc is on or off.
    Shift scheduling is different from shift performance(pressure, timing).

Having it in drive, sport, manual affects shift situation. and that then determines which aggression maps you're using for scheduling and what shift performance mode you're in.

here's what Steve told me

Capture.PNG

I guess I'll expand on the shift scheduling bit

For example in "DRIVE" the shift situation is 0. You can log that. That means the aggression score will be 0-400 and the driver type will be 0-5. It will be blending between aggression maps 1 and 2 depending on the aggression score.
    dr.PNG

In "SPORT" the shift situation is 4. That means the aggression score will be 401-800 and the driver type will be 6-10. It will be blending between aggression maps 3 and 4 depending on the aggression score.
    sp.png

In "MANUAL" there is no aggression based shifting. it just uses the manual maps
    Last edited by ed1380; 06-26-2020 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodepic View Post
    Also here's my stock .hpt file, it will be easier for you to change parameters on this rather than my incorrectly modified one haha. Thanks for doing this!
    Stock Trans Tune.hpt
    here is a template for you. i set my trans of similar to this. i also adjust all other settings but you will need to figure out how you like those with trial and error. hope it helps
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    here is a template for you. i set my trans of similar to this. i also adjust all other settings but you will need to figure out how you like those with trial and error. hope it helps
    Thank you so much!! After going through, I found the only significant difference between my 'tuned' file and yours was the max OSS table. After modifying the OSS table to your values it now allowed me to shift all the way up to 7200rpm!

However, now I am more curious than ever as to what this table does. Why did you change the values (mainly row 3) to what they are now? What is it we are modifying here, and why is it important? And why did you pick those specific values

My stock OSS Table:
    Stock OSS.PNG

Your modified OSS Table (the working one):
    tuned OSS.PNG

Tuner in Training
    Two more smaller questions:

1. When changing the stall speed, what is this value measuring? Is it nm of torque in the TC or something? Also what is the upper limit to which we can set this value? Should I be worried about blowing my TC if I set it to say, 850? 950?

2. When setting the Max Mode Counter to 255, are we actually limited to 255 AMAX pulls? Or is this coded as being unlimited?

Thanks!

1. When changing the stall speed, what is this value measuring? Is it nm of torque in the TC or something? Also what is the upper limit to which we can set this value? Should I be worried about blowing my TC if I set it to say, 850? 950?

2. When setting the Max Mode Counter to 255, are we actually limited to 255 AMAX pulls? Or is this coded as being unlimited?

Thanks!
    The 750 is setting the stall speed. The higher you set it the higher the stall speed when you foot brake ams put gas pedal to the floor on launch. 750 seems to be around 3200ish. 800 is around 35-3600. My car leaves best at 750. Any higher and it just spins tires too much. Any lower and car bogs and leaves slow. Your going to have to test it out and find out what your car likes. Timing and boost also plays a role in what stall rpm works best. You have to adjust all that and figure out what works best.

As for the oss limiter table. I set the last two rows to what i want it to shift at so it doesnt blend them together and shift lower. I want it to do exactly what i want.

Tuner in Training
    Okay, so for the shifting tables, I obviously know what both axis mean: the x axis (horizontal) is which shift you are performing, and the y axis (vertical) is the throttle percent, and we are setting the shift points, in OSS for each shift. That makes sense to me.

However I don't quite understand what the y axis, "max engine rpm" means on the max OSS tables. Do you mine elaborating on what this max engine rpm is? And how does setting a value of OSS on this table limit the rpm of the shift?

Tuner in Training

However I don't quite understand what the y axis, "max engine rpm" means on the max OSS tables. Do you mine elaborating on what this max engine rpm is? And how does setting a value of OSS on this table limit the rpm of the shift?
    I don't understand it either. It makes no sense why they have multiple Y axis points, but don't spend too much time on it. They're more of a safety map. Set them to 7400, 7600, or whatever your hard rpm limit is and use the rest of the maps to adjust your shift point.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ed1380 View Post
    I don't understand it either. It makes no sense why they have multiple Y axis points, but don't spend too much time on it. They're more of a safety map. Set them to 7400, 7600, or whatever your hard rpm limit is and use the rest of the maps to adjust your shift point.
    Ah okay, fair enough. That's what I currently have them as. I opened a support ticket with hp tuners about this, I'll update this forum if their response makes any sense lol

Thanks!
    Asked same question Steven said set to max # shown earlier models 255 (cant remember max on new)

I am getting conflicting information. Some people say setting MAX MODE COUNTER to the maximum shown in editor turns it off and others say setting it to 0 turns it off, which is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@HPTuners View Post
    Set it to the MAXIMUM value. On OEMs that disable it, this is what they do. Basically your launch counter goes up, but it'll never be greater.

Tuner in Training
    Asked same question Steven said set to max # shown earlier models 255 (cant remember max on new)
    Thanks so much! Good to hear.

Tuner in Training
    Now that I can adjust shift points and stall speed, I'm now looking to adjust the speed at which the torque converter unlocks.

I believe I read somewhere that on our ZF8s, although we may be adjusting shift points to go past the 6400rpm limit, the TC still disengages just before 6400rpm. This isn't ideal as we'll lose power due to the inefficiency of the slipping in the TC, especially as we make higher power on the top end. Ideally it would still be locked up to shift just before 7200rpm. Now, how big of a difference does this make? It's hard to say. I couldn't find definitive numbers on the internet for TC power loss %. Let me know if you have any insight on this and/or if I am completely wrong about it still unlocking just before 6400rpm haha.

In regards to my inquiry on the OSS table axis: "Max Engine Speed", HP tuners support replied by simply saying: "Unfortunately the scroll over help is the only information we have on any given table.". So that's not all that helpful lol. The quest continues.

Tuner in Training
    Another issue lol:

I'm having trouble getting my launches above 3000 rpm. I currently get about 3000 rpm with a stall speed of 750, and limiting my slip torque to 700nm. Also, all my gears' max torque is set to 850, just like that template file.

However, when I raise the stall speed and the maximum slip torque all the way to 900 and 850 respectively, I still cannot go above 3000rpm. Any ideas? (I've also tried raising the 1st gear max torque to be higher, but it doesn't work)

I have rather sticky tires, so I wanna see what it takes to get some slip haha

Tuner in Training
    I haven't logged the tcc but quick look at the maps and it locks around 1200rpm and doesn't unlock until it goes below 900

here's a good read

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...nverter-tuning

Another issue lol:

I'm having trouble getting my launches above 3000 rpm. I currently get about 3000 rpm with a stall speed of 750, and limiting my slip torque to 700nm. Also, all my gears' max torque is set to 850, just like that template file.

However, when I raise the stall speed and the maximum slip torque all the way to 900 and 850 respectively, I still cannot go above 3000rpm. Any ideas? (I've also tried raising the 1st gear max torque to be higher, but it doesn't work)

I have rather sticky tires, so I wanna see what it takes to get some slip haha
    When you launch from a stop you are technically in 0 gear. Not 1st. So make sure your tq request maps allow you build more tq off the line. Then raise your stall table and you should be able to launch in a higher rpm

Ok

So i am tripped up now, so after reviewing logs in sport mode i have seen TCC map 3, 8, & 13 used in sport mode and 27, 40, & 47 used in Manual mode. so if i look at the TCC apply/release speed maps

tcc map 3 uses 1-8
    8, 13 use 11-18

and 27, 40, 47 use 31-38

But when i look at TCC A/R speed map 31 it is set to 10,000 rpm???? WTF i look at log and see [ttc pattern 27], [tcc mode 31] what am i missing?

Last edited by bb-tt; 06-30-2020 at 02:23 PM.