Thread: 2000 corvette timing

2000 corvette timing

Gotta C5 with PRC heads, Torquer V2 cam and Fast 92. I've had it dyno tuned and it makes good power. Also runs good at the track. I just finished street tuning my G8 with good results. So now I've turned my attention to getting a bit more outta the vette. I took a log last night and noticed my WOT timing is about 20 degrees throughout. I've looked at other tunes and that seems pretty weak to me. Just wondering what you gen 3 guys are at for timing? I used to delivered engine torque on my G8 to tune timing. So I logged it last night on the vette with a HP math and seems pretty accurate to what my trap speed indicates. I got 92 octane where I fill up. Just wondering where some of you are at with a basic HCI set up. Thanks.

Tuner
    Im sitting at 27* WOT on a head cam 5.3. I would start at 23 and see how it likes it.

Tuner in Training
    I have all my timing in by 2800 rpm with 27* of timing on a '01 Camaro.

Quite possible that your car made the most torque at 20 degrees on their dyno, so they left it there.

Or they saw knock or no real gains past that value and kept it there but who knows for sure.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

I have a reaccuring intermittent p0327 code. It seems that even though the cel is not on it's running off the low octane table. Guess I'll adjust that instead. Haha.

Pending or current knock sensor codes can cause the computer to always pull timing, typically it will pull the maximum allowed based on whatever value is set in the computer for that table.

You can log knock retard and watch what it is doing. If the knock sensors are known to be good and the harness is good you can disabled the code and it will stop the computer from pulling timing all the time.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

So if I disable p0327 and p0332 they obviously won't trip the light but the knock sensors will still work as intended? I scanned for codes and got no pending or current. But when it comes up on my DIC it's always history and current. On a side note, I loaded the high oct table to low oct table and wouldn't you know it, more spark advance. So for some reason my car was running the low table. Anyways, thanks for your thoughts.

Yes, the knock sensor still work with the DTC's turned off.

These computers also revert to the low octane timing table if it's running the factory operating system in speed density. You didn't post any logs or tune file to see that though.

Now, I know it's not 100% accurate, but I go off of gains with the delivered torque pid. I did a little run from 2000-6000. Timing was 23 instead of 20. I gained about 10 torque everywhere. Next question is, when do you stop? Obviously if you get KR be done but if I get to a point where I'm only making 1 ft. lb. with one degree of timing, it's not really worth it. Any rule of thumb here as far as gain per degree?