Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can someone look over a tune file

Tuner in Training

can someone look over a tune file

so little back story, I have a 2008 5.7 ram that has been bored and stroked to a 392 and I am running a 4L80 with a full manual vale body, nothing from the computer is hooked to the trans and has been that way since day one.
    the truck was built in 2017 and tuned then had a minor retune in late 2018 after some upgrades. the truck was driven for 2019 with no issues and nothing was touched while it was stored over the 2019-2020 winter months.
    the truck was pulled back out earlier this spring and I decided to clear some check engine lights after the first couple drives that were related to the transmission no longer being a 545RFE.
    I did my normal plug everything in and updated my software from 4.0.12 to 4.6xx. After flashing the computer clearing the codes causing a MIL I no longer have any throttle pedal, I went back to the old tune file I have been using since 2018 but the issue is still there.
    I can watch the pedal % go up in the scanner and I can watch the throttle body move from start up and go down in % as it warms up till it reached normal operating temperature idle. However the accelerator pedal V remains at 0 and the throttle position sensor sits at 0 no matter what i push the pedal to.
    My tuner and I did have this issue when the truck was first built how ever I had fixed it by changing the selection in the trans choices by disable all and enable 4 speed automatic.
    Ive opened 2 tickets with HP, one said its a tuning issue and they cant offer any help the other said it will be sent to the programming department and will no longer reply or give some assistance.
    I do feel this is a software issue however I have read some stories about tunes being "altered" when opening in a newer software and causing some issues but I dont even know where to start, I have very minimal tuning experience, so I'm keeping my options open with this being a tuning problem
    I have gone through all the trans choices available and the issue remains no matter what I choose, but that's about as far as I've gotten.
    I cant help but reiterate this truck was running fine for 2 years and was running and driving before I updated the software and attempted to clear the codes.

Is someone able to take a look over this file and see if there is something that could be causing my dead pedal?
    I have called a few shops trying to figure this out and there is one in particular having this same issue with newer software that they have yet to find out why
    Attached Files Attached Files

Have you tried to perform a throttle relearn procedure from VCM scanner? there is no reason the tune would change enough, or at all when updating.

Tuner in Training
    Yes I have tried relearn. I have gone through everything I can think of. The only thing I can think of is the trans selections have changed. I can no longer disable 545RFE I can only change factory transmission choices. It also will not crank if I choose manual but that was the same case when I built the truck.

Advanced Tuner
    Are you using a beta version of HP editor? If so have you tried going back to the original non-beta version?

Tuner in Training
    I have tried both. Started with non beta then tried the beta then went back to the non beta version. Same results with both.

Tuner in Training
    The only codes I have are a transmission pressure sensor codes. Nothing for engine at all and the trans codes have been there since the truck was about together in 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by m_wakefield View Post
    The only codes I have are a transmission pressure sensor codes. Nothing for engine at all and the trans codes have been there since the truck was about together in 2017.
    If you have any current codes, that you know are related to the swap, remove them from appearing again. Also, if you have a compare file make sure all settings match and are correct to before the update. I don't see an issue with the tune besides the possibility it cant read the transmission or any codes for the transmission may be causing a limp mode of sorts? just a thought. if it thinks there isn't a transmission or should be and the codes are equivalent of trans failure or something the ECU doesn't like it may stop you from "driving" even though the car is fine.

Tuner in Training
    To me this is coming down to a software issue. Nothing has changed since I drove it last other than the update and the codes were all there before. I've tried removing the codes with no luck, reloaded the previous tune I was running with no luck. Everything I can see from my old files match. I was hoping something was added in the new software I was missing that was causing this issue.
    Shops are telling me this is a software issue, HP is refusing to help and saying it's a tuning issue.

To me this is coming down to a software issue. Nothing has changed since I drove it last other than the update and the codes were all there before. I've tried removing the codes with no luck, reloaded the previous tune I was running with no luck. Everything I can see from my old files match. I was hoping something was added in the new software I was missing that was causing this issue.
    Shops are telling me this is a software issue, HP is refusing to help and saying it's a tuning issue.
    Can you do a restore on your computer back to before the updated software, going back to the previous edition and see if that changes things?
    2018 Trackhawk PCM/TCM tune by Dusterhoff.
    Flex Fuel, MMX faux 95mm TB, GripTec 2.85, 10% ATI lower, FIC1200, ARH 1 7/8 w/cats, 180 T-stat

13 Chrysler 300S, RAM BGE 412 stroker, cam motion 232/246 619/619 118 +4, ATI 18% OD pulley
    Whipple Gen5 3.0, 2.50 upper pulley, Smooth Boost controller, FIC 1200 inj. Nick W 108mm TB, FORE dual return fuel system, E85, FTI 2800 stall(SRT83380), SHR WAR Viking trans and valve body, Getrag 3.73, 1 7/8 kooks w/hi-flow cats, 3" Magnaflow Cat-back 943rwhp

Tuner in Training
    Not once the MPIV is plugged into the newer software. It locks it to that software and you are use older software. I've tried doing that and it gives invalid application key whenever going back to older software.

Tuner in Training
    Well for the second time HP has told me they changed nothing and it's a tune issue. Customer service is not good with these folks as still and the lack of a phone line to talk to someone in person is incredibly frustrating

Advanced Tuner
    Not sure if this would be a waste of time but do you have a copy of your stock tune you can post?

Also have you looked into getting alfaOBD to see if any modules have codes stored that you can't see with the scanner you are using?

So in transmission, general, trans type you used to have an option to disable and not select any transmission? Did HP tuner support ever confirm if that was an option?

Tuner in Training
    Yes from what I can remember, it's been since late 2018, there used to be a tab that said 545RFE and you could disable that. Now it gives a bunch of different trans types to select rather then being able to disable any of them. HP just says nothing has changed in some time and they then asked me to send a screen shot of the table I am missing, it's a little hard to do that when they won't allow me to go back in software. Also if I could go back in software I wouldn't have this issue anyway. I can throw the stock file up when I get back to my computer, looks like it's time to look into a holly terminator

Yes from what I can remember, it's been since late 2018, there used to be a tab that said 545RFE and you could disable that. Now it gives a bunch of different trans types to select rather then being able to disable any of them. HP just says nothing has changed in some time and they then asked me to send a screen shot of the table I am missing, it's a little hard to do that when they won't allow me to go back in software. Also if I could go back in software I wouldn't have this issue anyway. I can throw the stock file up when I get back to my computer, looks like it's time to look into a holly terminator
    I have an old laptop that hasn't been used in years with an old version of HPT. I'll try and get that up and running and see what it looks like. Post one of the original tunes that hasn't been through your current software version.
    Flex Fuel, MMX faux 95mm TB, GripTec 2.85, 10% ATI lower, FIC1200, ARH 1 7/8 w/cats, 180 T-stat

13 Chrysler 300S, RAM BGE 412 stroker, cam motion 232/246 619/619 118 +4, ATI 18% OD pulley
    Whipple Gen5 3.0, 2.50 upper pulley, Smooth Boost controller, FIC 1200 inj. Nick W 108mm TB, FORE dual return fuel system, E85, FTI 2800 stall(SRT83380), SHR WAR Viking trans and valve body, Getrag 3.73, 1 7/8 kooks w/hi-flow cats, 3" Magnaflow Cat-back 943rwhp

Tuner in Training
    i believe this is my first file I sent to the tuner when i had everything back together. something like 3.0xx software.
    the latest that worked was 4.0.12 that was back in late 2018.
    thank you for the help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Does this look like what you remember?

4012.jpg
    If in doubt, multiply everything by 1.1.

Version on my old laptop is 3.6.13 and it will not open file. Says wrong header type. Do you have a copy when you used the 3.0?

Can you right click file, properties and hit previous versions. should find older versions.
    Last edited by coanan; 04-29-2020 at 06:24 PM.

looks the same on my latest beta as spoolboy

comparing both tunes. the first posted has displacement 0.0, that screws with a lot of stuff. put 5.7 back there.
    also trans general manual disabled, 4 speed enabled

What tune is in there now?
    Last edited by coanan; 04-29-2020 at 06:34 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I would think manual trans enable would disable anything auto trans related? As for displacement being a different value I thought it is done to be able to dyno tune without the ESP/TC getting in the way?