Thread: Gen V truck tips and info

Potential Tuner

Gen V truck tips and info

Whats up guys I recently purchased a 2016 GMC Sierra single cab and I am wanting to start tuning it on my own and was wondering what some basic info is And where to begin such as Wot timing Wot afr and just other things these LT based motors like. Also how I would go about setting it up for flex fuel with a sensor etc.. I have tuned gen 3/4 vehicles but know nothing of gen V until now after doing some searches but it still seems like a big grey area to me on all the info I find.. any help is appreciated guys please no negativity or hate yes I have done numerous searches here and other forums.

2016 GMC Sierra 5.3 2wd single cab**
    Last edited by OUTLAW_LSX; 03-31-2018 at 03:27 PM.

Timing is a toss up, each engine is different. See what you are running now and where it will let you take it. Play with the VVT and mid range timing to help gain some results.

Fueling is still the same idea for most NA engines. Run mid 12's maybe 12.8ish on pump gas. It's a safe area and will make good power without trying to run it on the edge for maybe another 10hp.

2014+ trucks should already have flex fuel sensors installed.

Tuning the transmission is also a huge factor in how it performs, the 6L80e works awesome with some minor touches to shift times/pressure and on-coming pressure presets. Also never fully disable TM on a 6L80e.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Flex fuel was standard on the 2014 models only. Optional on 2015+. Also only available on the 5.3L (L83) and V-6.
    2004 Black Corvette (A4)

Quote Originally Posted by big_sapper View Post
    Flex fuel was standard on the 2014 models only. Optional on 2015+. Also only available on the 5.3L (L83) and V-6.
    not to mention virtual so saying "sensors installed" is incorrect. virtual flex fuel is terrible.

Man does GM do stuff weird, I had to rummage through like 5 different files to see what did and didn't say "sensor" from the factory.

2014 5.3, did.
    2015 5.3, didn't. (virtual)
    2015 6.0, didn't. (virtual)
    2016 5.3, did.

All apparently are flex fuel capable but only some get the sensors. So I guess for the OP, check to see what your file says.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAW_LSX View Post
    Whats up guys I recently purchased a 2016 GMC Sierra single cab and I am wanting to start tuning it on my own and was wondering what some basic info is And where to begin such as Wot timing Wot afr and just other things these LT based motors like. Also how I would go about setting it up for flex fuel with a sensor etc.. I have tuned gen 3/4 vehicles but know nothing of gen V until now after doing some searches but it still seems like a big grey area to me on all the info I find.. any help is appreciated guys please no negativity or hate yes I have done numerous searches here and other forums.

2016 GMC Sierra 5.3 2wd single cab**
    It's fairly easy to add a flex fuel sensor down on the frame rail near ish where the factory harness should be waiting for you to plug the sensor in. My 2015 1500 6.2 8 Speed didn't have the sensor but the wiring was there. Added it in, grabbed a L83 file that had a sensor and compared the differences, made a few tweaks for the Commanded AFR, got rid of the lazy Factory Alcohol Content Timing Adder Table, tuned the 8 speed much like a 6l80, a few other things on the ECM side. Done. She runs great even with a 150 shot.

Advanced Tuner
    Same here. Cut the fuel line and add the sensor. Plug n play when it comes to the harness.
    2023 Ford Maverick 2.0T AWD

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadams87 View Post
    It's fairly easy to add a flex fuel sensor down on the frame rail near ish where the factory harness should be waiting for you to plug the sensor in. My 2015 1500 6.2 8 Speed didn't have the sensor but the wiring was there. Added it in, grabbed a L83 file that had a sensor and compared the differences, made a few tweaks for the Commanded AFR, got rid of the lazy Factory Alcohol Content Timing Adder Table, tuned the 8 speed much like a 6l80, a few other things on the ECM side. Done. She runs great even with a 150 shot.
    What did you change in the Factory Alcohol Content Timing Adder Table?