Thread: My AFP has gone nuts.

Tuner

My AFP has gone nuts.

The AFP (alcohol fuel percentage) PID has suddenly gone from the normal 10% up to 38%. I don't know whether to believe it or not. The truck does not have an actual sensor in the system, so how does it calculate AFP?

In short it uses the o2 sensors to help determine alcohol content.

And honestly it's not very accurate at times and can go off the rails at random even if you've always run the same fuel forever.

Most just disable the flex fuel feature entirely and set the stoich to a fixed number for the fuel they have in their area. Be it 14.68 or 14.2ish for E10.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    If the vehicle is using "virtual" flex fuel this is pretty common. I was able to reset ours with a snap on scanner. if you dont plan on running flex fuel go in the tune and turn it off.

Tuner
    I have HPTuners, how can I do it with that.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelGreenStallion View Post
    I have HPTuners, how can I do it with that.
    Capture.JPG

Tuner
    How or where in the tune did you reset it with the Snap-on scanner.

Snap on scanner should has some sort of information page where you can read the alcohol content, then it can be reset from there.

It doesn't change anything with the tune, it just resets that function. The post above yours shows you how/where it can be done with the HP Tuners software.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    I have version 3.6.26 I believe of HP Tuners. The fuel section of it looks very different than the one posted. Is there a newer version? And if I install it, will it loose (prune as they call it) all the past changes made to all the tunes?

4.2 has been out a long time now, you can download from the main website.

You won't lose anything related to changes you made in previous tunes.

Tuner
    I updated to HP Tuners version 4.4.4 and disabled flex fuel, loaded the tune, then looked at the AFP. It went to zero percent (I assume that's how you reset it). I reloaded the previous tune with flex fuel enabled, and it went back to 38%. I then went to the gas station and topped off (10 gallons, tank hold about 25/26 gallons) and on the drive home the AFP went down to 22%. I am beginning to believe that this PID is correct and that I got a load of fuel that had very high ethanol content. Maybe not, I don't know.