Thread: Flash chip read?

Flash chip read?

I was just sitting here thinking about the flash chips in our vehicles, as well as those in our MPVI boxes. I dont know much about flash chips, but i thought that they had to be exposed to some type of light to erase them. So how does our interface store licenses, and how does the car store its info and rewrite?

I also want to know, how i can read the flash from my USB webcam or my USB drives. Is there a windows program or something i can poke around with? Im very interested in this technology, even though its not that new...
    Last edited by gman4dx266; 09-19-2006 at 06:27 PM.

Senior Tuner
    UV EPROMs are, like, so '80s.

I have never even used a uv eeprom....and damn, I am old...
    Regal GS Site Owner / HPT Moderator / FTV6 Mod

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyblue
    UV EPROMs are, like, so '80s.

If you don't knock that off you will go blind

...what?

Quote Originally Posted by gman4dx266
    I was just sitting here thinking about the flash chips in our vehicles, as well as those in our MPVI boxes. I dont know much about flash chips, but i thought that they had to be exposed to some type of light to erase them. So how does our interface store licenses, and how does the car store its info and rewrite?

I also want to know, how i can read the flash from my USB webcam or my USB drives. Is there a windows program or something i can poke around with? Im very interested in this technology, even though its not that new...
    I think you are stuck in the middle ages..LOL

silicone chips have come a long way as well as the technology that is used to write and erase them...
    its not a"UV" light...
    its all voltage and binary...
    the interfaces have all of the things necesary built into them already to take care of the read/write process...
    just like your Laptop has all the stuff built into the hard drive itself to write to the disk inside and to use the onboard Memory..
    most of the other devices you would have topull the chip that has all the programming and then read/write to it using a specialized e-prom writer..
    many companies have their own language and technology for doing this process..so finding a "generic device" to do this task is probably not gonna happen.

there are several devices for "generic e-proms and some basic standard code...people use them all the time..write theor program in C++ and make a blank chip do a function by how its programmed
    Last edited by S2H; 10-02-2006 at 10:12 AM.
    -Scott -

Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer
    I think you are stuck in the middle ages..LOL
    I think i am too. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer
    there are several devices for "generic e-proms and some basic standard code...people use them all the time..write theor program in C++ and make a blank chip do a function by how its programmed
    Kinda like people who build robotic stuff? So, the actual chip can read straight C++ with no compliation?

Well you explained why I couldnt pull any real data off my usb camera and DVD burner. I found a program that would let me read and change a few things in it and write back to the chip but i just didnt touch most of it, since i had no idea what i was doing, and didnt really want a hosed DVD burner. I thought it was neat that i could change the actual model # and serial # in the flash chip of my burner though. lol. If i had one of the cheapo ones, i could set the firmware to say a better product, run over it with my truck, send it back to LG, and be like "yeah my xxxxx dvd burner isnt working"...send it to them, they read it and be like "oh ok this is the high priced one, then replace it with the better one.

Yeah yeah yeah i know. *HIGHLY* unlikely. lol

Good in theory though.

Thanks for the info guys!

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gman4dx266
    ...what?

I was making a joke about the UV light box required to erase the older Eproms.
    Not something you wanted to screw around with cause it could damage your eyesight from exposure.

What else were you told to stop doing as it could also damage your eyesight

-Ken

OH! I get it now!

Dang i really missed that one, and it was frickin obvious too!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken@HPTuners
    What else were you told to stop doing as it could also damage your eyesight -Ken
    A few things...

its all compiled data....
    just a lot of things are written in c++ and compiled to work on an e-prom..
    -Scott -

its all assembly to me
    I count sheep in hex...

From Short Circuit for ya Chris!

Number 5: "Squash... dead... disassemble... dead Disassemble!!! Dead!!!"
    Stefanie: "Hey, slow down."
    Number 5: "No disassemble!"

http://www.gotwavs.com/0085934086/MP...cuit/dead2.mp3
    Always Support Our Troops!

he he, i loved that one when i was a kid, and War Games the movie... mmm Ally Sheedy every 12 year olds dream

maybe it's not so surprising what i do for a living thesedays
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner
    Dang I still have all that stuff on the work Desk I even used it a few times this year !
    Ellis
    Speed Secrets

95 Z28 18* LTx
    95 Z28 LSx converion
    03 CCSB 4x4 D/A