Thread: New tuner needs critique on tune file and log please

Potential Tuner

New tuner needs critique on tune file and log please

Hi guys! Super excited to get into this computer tuning thing. I have been building and tuning cars for over 30 years, but the old school way. Quick run down of my ride. '89 Camaro with 376/480 swap, and now TSP stage 2 cam swap. 1 3/4" long tubes and free flowing exhaust, no cats. 4" air intake configured correctly and home made cold air box. Using GM Perf parts computer and harness with it. Think its a E67, no trans control. 4L80E with TCI TCU. 2800-3200 Circle D converter, 4.10 gear. Dakota Digital dash. History.....Car ran very well and no issues with the stock hot cam tune. Had someone tune it with the hot cam over a year ago. Maybe ran a little better. Never any driveability or stalling issues. Been driving the car with the TSP cam for about 500 miles or so still with the hot cam tune. Only real issue was late and slow to get to power enrichment at aggressive part throttle. Do have a wide band in car. Have not explored whether I can connect and log with it. Still working on setting up what to log. Hope there is enough there to work with. Please let me know where to go from here.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    I see you joined the forum recently so welcome from a fellow Houstonian.
    I looked over the log and tune. How much of the file has you modified?
    The way power enrichment is set up it seems like its on all the time. The throttle body % threshold is as low as 4 on the table.
    The power enrich seems a bit odd as well. It commands 12.7 AFR then 12.4 then 12.6 and lastly 12.7. To my knowledge it should be linear values.
    How do you know the power enrichment was slow?

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the response and the time to look over my files. I'm actually in Magnolia area, but its all Houston these days! I'm gonna post the tune that was in it a week ago when I got the MPVI2. Its the tune that was done by guy down south when I had the hot cam in it. Sorry, he has the stock hot cam tune it came with. Can't find his ph number. I will post the most recent tune I have in it now. Watching the wide band and driving tipped me off to where the tune was not good. Just got on the tuner and looked for areas that control the area of interest. Other minor issues that I need to address are rich at WOT, can't lower idle speed and slight surge at cruise. I really wanted to start with VE and Maf tuning, but can't quite figure that out yet. Feel like that would help with current issues. Need some help setting up a good log as well. THe car is a rocket and drives great, but know it can be better. Oh, I made a change to LTFT as suggested to another member by Bill. Supposed to make it run off MaF??? Any help appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    I looked over both files and The PE threshold for file 'hot cam custom tune.hpt' at 30% which is fine. The enrichment rate is very low which can explain a slow power enrichment. in file 'TSP cam tune PE sooner03' the PE threshold is way to low but the enrichment is fine.

I suggest whatever tune you are running now set the PE Throttle threshold to 30% and the Enrichment to 1.3 and go from there.

However, I would suggest to start from scratch as sometimes its harder to modify someone else work. This way you can learn what the tables do.

The modification you did to the LTFT does not disable the MAF. It sets the car in Openloop which means the car reads the values in the tune and they are not corrected by the O2 sensors.

Just fyi the TPS PE setting in the PE section is not the same value of the TPS in the logs. in short 30% throttle is not 30% in the PE throttle table. On the E67 you need to log PE TPS to get the correct value. Also the PE EQ doesn't need to be linear.

Quote Originally Posted by EWY View Post

The modification you did to the LTFT does not disable the MAF. It sets the car in Openloop which means the car reads the values in the tune and they are not corrected by the O2 sensors.
    Disabling LTFT's doesn't put in OL either. you would need to disable both LTFT AND STFT.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the info and suggestions. I have been searching for some info or video on setting up the scanner to log what would be relevant for me. Can someone suggest what I should log starting out and a link to a good source for setting up the scanner? I am taking the car to the drag strip Sunday and want to log some passes. Also a tip on what to try to bring my AFR down at WOT. It is in upper 11's now most of WOT runs on wide band, see some mid 11's as well. I want to set up a few different tunes to try at the track.