Thread: Cat delete questions 2002 Silverado 5.3

Tuner in Training

Cat delete questions 2002 Silverado 5.3

I have a Coworker whos truck started running rough due to clogged cats so he removed them.
    Now his gas mileage went way down. I'm going to be turning off the Catalytic codes its a
    2002 Silverado with the 5.3 Vortec, Haven't messed with Gm's yet and I read somewhere that
    on those you need to disable something else so it doesnt dump fuel in to try to cool the cats?
    Sorry for the Nubquestions any input would be helpful.

What all should I disable/no report error?

Cat over temp protection is what you'd be looking for, as well as the cat codes and rear o2 sensor codes that may pop up because the cats are removed.

It's in the fuel tab.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I know about O2 codes but alright ill take a look at that thanks. Is there anything else you would recommend tweaking?

Sure, there are tons of things you can do but to be honest I can't type everything out as it's stuff that's been talked about before.

Read up on power enrichment settings, transmission shift times and pressures. Little changes like that can make the truck react way different and typically drive/shift like the owner wants it too.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I finally got around to pulling the tune off his truck, Should I just disable catalyst COT? or set the min and max to 1.0 as well?

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    if you plan on learning the gm way to adjust fueling then i would recommend you take a look at the Bluecat Transmission tool. Its a free download and makes pretty good drive-ability gains. because it shifts the transmission loading around some, it will require a fueling adjustment.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...Table-Software
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    All my Co-worker wants is his engine lights off and his gas mileage dropped by like 5mpg since the cat delete.
    Hes a old guy and he just uses it as a work truck. He doesn't want any more wear on trans he just replaced it.

Just set COT to disabled.