Thread: 06 Cummins wont write tunes

Potential Tuner

06 Cummins wont write tunes

When I try to write a tune to my truck the VCM editor seems to get stuck on this screen everytime and the truck will not start, it just cranks but will not fire at all. The only way I have found to fix the truck is use the recvery file from smarty and flash it back to stock, without the smarty id have a very expensive paper weight in my driveway right now. The loading bar will get to 100% when writing the tune and then it just says validating does nothing else, I am also able to click write again but this only starts the write process over from the begining. I have a support ticket in right now, but if snyone has any info it would be a big help. I hate to have paid for the tuner and tunes and not be able to run them.

Potential Tuner
    First time on this forum and I cant get the picture to show up. But in the popup window that tells you the progress of writing tune the loading bar goes to 100% and then instead of saying wrting above the it will say "validating" but nothing happens in the loading bar and it will still say writing in the upper right hand side of the window next to the hardware information.

Sounds like you got a bad read from smarty. They probably had the check sums shut off which is why it's hanging up at the end. You might need to get a stock reflash from the dealer in order to get a good tune in there. In my opinion, skip HPTuners for the 06 and up Cummins. There are better options.

Banned
    If you get an actual recovery file from Smarty it should take care of the problem, they charge for it though unlike their other counterparts, MM3 and RaceME. The built in recovery is just smarty?s reflash back to stock through their flash bootloader. The recovery file you can get from them is different and for majority of people it solves what you are having happen.

Potential Tuner
    I realize that there are better options for tuning the 06 trucks (efi) but I already had the mpvi2 and didn't want to buy another tuner system, just buy a the credits and pay for a tune.
    When I returned the truck to stock through the smarty touch built in option hp tuners could not read the file so I contacted smarty and got a stock recovery file from them, flashed it in the truck and hp tuners could read the stock file. Sent it out to the tuner and when I tried to flash the new tune in it kept getting stuck, even if I tried to flash in the stock image that hp tuners read. So I guess I paid smarty for a stock recovery file that wasn't stock... good times.
    I really wanted this to be a stupid mistake on my part by forgetting to push a button or accidentally change a setting in hp tuners, but it looks like I'll have to pay a dealership to get the reflash and hope that solves my problems.

Banned
    Sounds like an HP Tuners issue not Smarty since after flashing the recovery from Smarty you were able to get HP Tuners to do a stock read. There on out it?s HP Tuner related, not Smarty.

If you have a smarty touch why didn't you just buy a tune for that instead of getting HPTuners. The touch will load custom UDC Pro tunes and can have switch on the fly.

Banned
    Unless he got the S06 handheld unit or the junior then you are limited to the basic UDC

says in his last post that he's got the smarty touch. That will do UDC pro tunes once he updates the software.

Banned
    Does too. Should of just stayed with the smarty touch. Already had a higher end setup being used.