Thread: VSS swap tuning

Tuner in Training

VSS swap tuning

*Super noob/amateur*

Background: I'm swapping an LE5 w/ E67 ECM into an Exocet (using Miata running gears). I want to use a Miata VSS as input into the E67. Last night I connected the wires to test the output and spun a wheel by hand. I got nothing through OBD (via Torque app). At the time I didn't care about the values; I can adjust later. I just wanted to see if it was reading anything, but it was pegged at zero mph. I thought maybe the pulses/mile may have been so far off that it was just too slow to trigger anything. I opened VCM editor and did some digging, it appears the Miata VSS is around 4000 pulses per mile (around because of gearing differences) while the tune in the ECM was set around 12,000 pulses per mile. Simple change that I still need to do. Coupled with the 2x slower shaft speed due to just one wheel rotating through the diff, it's plausible that this will resolve it. It was late last night so I'll test later.

Now, my question has to do with other settings in the Speedo tab. Namely, the "Vehicle Speed Sensor > Max Period" setting. The explanation says "The maximum input pulse period to determine zero speed." Does this mean that the larger the value, the longer it will wait between pulses to actually call it zero mph? Or something else?

I had put 22 for pulses/rev but that number is off. Do I need to back-calculate that number, or is it even used? Are there any other values I need to change to account for such a radical difference in VSS's between "stock" and what I'm using?

Thanks!

Tuner in Training