Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 68RFE Locked shifts

Yeah I understand H&S been gone for years, It was best route at the time when I purcahsed truck a few weeks back...it had an unknown delete tune with no additional power tuning. So my options were purchase a custom tune from someone and an autocal that retained delete, or mini maxx that had delete option baked in that I could still at least use as a monitor for time being. Also HPT was able to read the h&s tune, hopefully with the delete info in tact now. So essentially I have a HPt copy of the H&S tune with delete intact that I can use as a base file to use to tune. I know EFI live is the preferred platform and I may opt to go that route but if it doest have trans tuning that would mean Id still need HPT to
    tune the trans. You use most of the platforms from what I gather, is there any real advantage that EFI live has over HPT? I understand the shift on the fly is the biggest selling feature but is the software portion any better for tuning?
    Could you recommend any books, websites etc for someone like myself to learn thge UDP and hex dump stuff required to add and use UDP?

Banned
    There?s an old saying, you get what you pay for. You pay cheap, you get cheap and everything that comes along with being cheap. There is a reason why majority of tuners do not offer tuning for the 6.7 Cummins on HP Tuners and it?s only the occasional ?I want do it myself as cheap as possible and not knowing what I?m really doing? people that choose to use HP Tuners.

Learning hex and user defined parameters, I got nothing to recommend for you to read on that front.

I went with hpt tuners as there werent any other option for tuning the ford transmission 5R110 in my cummins swap......I had tried...purchased and paid for SCT software but then I got a call from them as they didnt recognize the strategy...so they talked me though it on phone went plugged into truck pulled strategy again...took pics sent to them, then the dealer contacted SCT directly....no.. we wont sell software for that strategy .. Diesel truck.. so my only option was HPT. Now I have it I like it, Ive tuned my swap trans, and my Hummer. Now I have another vehicle and am wondering what to use. I do like your trans lockup for the 68rfe, do you offer the service to add it to my file?

Potential Tuner

Locked shifts

Hey brother , I have a file I need too lock shifts from 2nd-6th is that possible with your add on?

Banned
    Yes for a fee however I don?t return it as an unlocked file.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    I sent you a pm wondering about this.

Potential Tuner
    Interested in getting tuning for my 2013 ram 68rfe

Banned
    What platform?

Potential Tuner
    Mm3

Potential Tuner
    Hy Jim, I?m very interested for your locked shift file! just contact me please🙏
    Last edited by kevpelletier27; 07-23-2021 at 09:09 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Probably not many on here running a 68RFE but I now have the ability to provide locked shifts on the 68RFE transmission.
    Interesting video of a 68re transmission teardown. Billet shaft failed. Speculation is locked shifts, but could have been too much torque from banks turbo against too much trailer weight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3gkSO3Sz7g

Banned
    LOL.

I have no further comment.

Tuner in Training db.charlie@yahoo.com's Avatar
    Jim P, I realize that performing locked shifts requires user defined parameters to access stuff we can't see in VCM editor. Is it also required for getting lockup when immediately shifting to third or even second? I have been playing with the lock up schedule and I can get it to lock up in 4th about .5 second after shifting into 4th then it unlocks, shifts to fifth locked immediately, unlocks, then shifts to sixth locked immediately (verified by logging). Nothing i do to third or second lock up does anything though...? I have lowered the apply/release speeds, lowered the thresholds for both those gears, changed the minimum TCC shaft speed... I have graphed everything in excel to visually see when it shifts up/down and when it locks/unlocks.

Another thing too, I had it one time in fourth where it was locked up going up a hill, I went WOT just to see whether it would stay locked with my changed apply/release values. It did, but I haven't been able to replicate it again? looking at the stock values, it should unlock at just before 100% TPS, right?
    I don't know if I don't have enough posts in order to attach a log file and my tune file because I cannot see an attach item button when posting a reply, but I can PM them to you if you have to time to look at them a tell me what/ if I'm missing something?

thanks for your help to on the other issues I was having BTW.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by [email protected]; 11-16-2021 at 03:26 PM. Reason: was now able to upload attachments

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Jim P, I realize that performing locked shifts requires user defined parameters to access stuff we can't see in VCM editor. Is it also required for getting lockup when immediately shifting to third or even second? I have been playing with the lock up schedule and I can get it to lock up in 4th about .5 second after shifting into 4th then it unlocks, shifts to fifth locked immediately, unlocks, then shifts to sixth locked immediately (verified by logging). Nothing i do to third or second lock up does anything though...? I have lowered the apply/release speeds, lowered the thresholds for both those gears, changed the minimum TCC shaft speed... I have graphed everything in excel to visually see when it shifts up/down and when it locks/unlocks.

Another thing too, I had it one time in fourth where it was locked up going up a hill, I went WOT just to see whether it would stay locked with my changed apply/release values. It did, but I haven't been able to replicate it again? looking at the stock values, it should unlock at just before 100% TPS, right?
    I don't know if I don't have enough posts in order to attach a log file and my tune file because I cannot see an attach item button when posting a reply, but I can PM them to you if you have to time to look at them a tell me what/ if I'm missing something?

I haven?t messed with the early 68rfe transmissions, 07.5-09 but I will see if I can help out when I get a chance.

I haven?t messed with the early 68rfe transmissions, 07.5-09 but I will see if I can help out when I get a chance.
    I'd appreciate it. I'm still trying to learn hex so I can tinker with this to.

Banned
    Thresholds are set pretty high to pull in for lockup in second gear
    Last edited by Jim P; 11-17-2021 at 12:16 PM.

Thresholds are set pretty high to pull in for lockup in second gear

Yeah, on this one I was just playing with 3rd and fourth to try to get them first. I got 4th to do it, but can get 3rd.

Potential Tuner
    I also have a 07.5-09 68rfe. Really interested in getting these things to shift like a proper transmission. I?m in the process of learning hexadecimal, my step dad and little brother both know it. So if anyone needs some stuff deciphered I?d be glad to help. Cheers 🍻

I also bought TTS?s dodge transmission book disappointingly not as much info in there as I?d thought I?d get for how much I paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerTunes View Post
    I also have a 07.5-09 68rfe. Really interested in getting these things to shift like a proper transmission. I?m in the process of learning hexadecimal, my step dad and little brother both know it. So if anyone needs some stuff deciphered I?d be glad to help. Cheers 🍻

I also bought TTS?s dodge transmission book disappointingly not as much info in there as I?d thought I?d get for how much I paid for it.
    If you can help me figure out how to pull a stock .bin file off my tcm, that'd be awesome...

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Did you ever figure out 3rd and 4th lockup?