Thread: What is the function of all 7 detents on a 6l90?

Tuner in Training

What is the function of all 7 detents on a 6l90?

I understand the function of the first 5, it's the last two I'm really asking about.

I know we have:

1. Park
    2, Reverse
    3. Neutral
    4. Drive
    5. Manual mode
    6. ?
    7. ?

I have 6l90 out of a '15 2500 Silverado 4x4 that's going into a Jeep. The shifter I'm using hits all 7 detents. I'd like to know what those last two do, or how I could make use of them in my application.
    Last edited by gt1guy; 08-29-2019 at 12:10 AM.

If it was a stock truck, nothing.

The shifter in the truck can only go between PRNDM. There is no low gear or D1 to pick from, the Manual mode is as far down as the shifter will go on the column.

I wonder if some parts are still the same from when the 4L60es where being made still. Those went PRND321.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    If it was a stock truck, nothing.

The shifter in the truck can only go between PRNDM. There is no low gear or D1 to pick from, the Manual mode is as far down as the shifter will go on the column.

I wonder if some parts are still the same from when the 4L60es where being made still. Those went PRND321.
    So if you switch to a shifter that does have the ability to put the trans in those last two detents, nothing happens?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
    So if you switch to a shifter that does have the ability to put the trans in those last two detents, nothing happens?
    I have a 6L90E swapped into my car. The shift pattern is P R N D M 1 2. It is odd but 2nd gear is all the way down. I don't currently have TUTD hooked up so when I shift to M its actually 4th gear and will auto shift 1-4.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by BClements88 View Post
    I have a 6L90E swapped into my car. The shift pattern is P R N D M 1 2. It is odd but 2nd gear is all the way down. I don't currently have TUTD hooked up so when I shift to M its actually 4th gear and will auto shift 1-4.
    That does seem odd to have 2nd gear all the way down. So in 2, will it shift 1-2, or start in 2nd?