Thread: Transmission and engine compatibility w/ engine for swap

Potential Tuner

Transmission and engine compatibility w/ engine for swap

I hoping the wealth of knowledge on this forum can help me out. I have an engine from a 2003 Suburban vin Z 4x4 4L60 DBW and a transmission from a 2001 2wd Silverado vin T DBC 4L60 . I am attaching the tune files so that they can be reviewed if needed. Originally the engine was supposed to be from the same year as the transmission and DBC. Due to issues when they were sourced I was sent and engine and a transmission with two harnesses, two pcms and they would not take them back for a complete pullout assembly. Now I am trying to make them work together. My questions are 1: is it possible to make the 2wd transmission work with DBW pcm? 2: I would ideally like to keep the engine pcm tune and adapt the transmission. I have matched the harness to the trans already for the 2003 pcm. Would this be a segment swap? Thank you all for any help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    Does anybody have any thoughts? I was also thinking about making the dbw work with the 2wd trans and make it drive by cable. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks

Tuner in Training
    The engine can be converted to a vin T DBC pretty easy, just swap on a throttle body, fuel rail, and injectors from a 99-02 DBC.

I'm also pretty sure the transmission would work fine. I don't think the 4L60 changed between DBC and DBW.

Advanced Tuner
    is the same trans, you can run either pcm set up (DBW/DBC), drive by cable will be simplier on a swap, less wires, peddal can fail, tac module can fail, will not accelerate..just my opinion

Potential Tuner
    Ok thank you guys very much. Sorry for the long reply time I have been working on other things. I think I will just use the transmission with the DBW parts I have since it will still work. Is there anything else that I will need tune wise being that it was not originally for that engine?

Isn't it better for you to visit a service, even if you know something about cars, and you can fix it by yourself, it is safer to get it fixed by professional mechanics also, you won't spend your free time on this job and your car will be ready in a couple of hours, or in some days, it depends on the problem. I suggest you visit enginert.com, maybe here you can find something useful that might help you in fixing your car. If you don't find anything then the best option is to visit the service center.
    Last edited by Suanick; 03-08-2021 at 08:49 AM.