Thread: Seeking Clarifications on Switches/Tables - 3V Motors

Advanced Tuner

Seeking Clarifications on Switches/Tables - 3V Motors

Probably too many questions for one post. I figured it would be better to post them in one vs flooding the forum.

I'm seeking clarification on the following switches.

MAF Adaption: Enable/Disable fuel trim updates during enrichment or enleanment. - - - Is this similar to fuel pump voltage adaption? If on average the PCM is removing 3 percent fuel down low does it consider this and remove 3 percent when WOT?

Cylair Filter: When enabled (and Anticipation Logic is disabled) a filtered value of MAF airmass is used by the PCM. When disabled the current calculated airmass from the MAF is used by the PCM. - - - - I feel stupid reading this one LOL!

Cylair Anticipation Logic: When enabled and the Cylair Filter is enabled a complex prediction algorithm is used to calculate the cylinder airmass. - - - - Disabling pretty much stops the load with failed MAF values from being used???

ETC Error Checking: Master enable/disable for all ETC error checking. - Makes sense but curious if there is anything else I should know.

ETC Pressure/Density Scale: Master enable/disable for pressure/density scaling of ETC parameters such as demand torque. - - - - Yup, no clue haha.

ETC TPS Airflow: If enabled the PCM will use additional throttle based airflow calculations. - - - - - What are the additional throttle based airflow calculations? Will disabling ignore all data around the "effective area" and "predicted throttle angle"?

LTFT Bank vs. Cylinder #: This specifies which bank each cylinder belongs to for fuel trim calculations. - - - - - - Alright this one has always bothered me. 3 vales motors are 1,2,3,4 = bank 1 and 5,6,7,8 = bank 2. Considering the order the cylinders are arranged on 4.6 & 5.4 motors, why aren't those cylinders grouped together in this table? For example, 1,2,3,4 would be all "0" and 5,6,7,8 would be all "1"? The picture I have attached is how I've seen all these set up.

Thank you everyone.

Picture1.PNGpicture2.PNGpicture3.PNGpicture3.PNGpicture4.PNG

Advanced Tuner
    Bump.

Anybody have any information?

Cylair Filter: When enabled (and Anticipation Logic is disabled) a filtered value of MAF airmass is used by the PCM. When disabled the current calculated airmass from the MAF is used by the PCM. - - - - for my application, when I disable this and leave anticipation logic enabled it appears to run more so on the speed density. For example, making huge changes to map at zero will effect how it runs. If I unplug MAF it will stall but restart and run exactly the same? If I leave this enabled and disable anticipation logic it seems to run more MAF based. Speed density changes make no difference in fueling and how it runs. Oddly enough, it idles smoother. If I unplug MAF it might stall but if running (or restarted) it runs slightly leaner. About .7 leaner. If I disable both it runs like complete poo. I don't know almost seems backwards. Curious on the logic for each of those switches.

This applies to all newer Fords - I did my own research but I was not able to determine anything for sure. Just my 2 cents

MAF Adaption has to be switched off for SD tuning - just like you switch the LTFT for fuel trims tuning. To my understanding it will filter/scale your MAF like STFT and make small long period adjustments like LTFT. Not sure how it works exactly tho but it's being stored in KAM.

Cylair Filter tells the ECU to use MAF with adaptation or without adaptation for LOAD calculations.

Cylair Anticipation Logic will filter your current MAF though SD model to smooth things out - it does work IMO but your SD has to be correct.

Quote Originally Posted by momotunes View Post

LTFT Bank vs. Cylinder #: This specifies which bank each cylinder belongs to for fuel trim calculations. - - - - - - Alright this one has always bothered me. 3 vales motors are 1,2,3,4 = bank 1 and 5,6,7,8 = bank 2. Considering the order the cylinders are arranged on 4.6 & 5.4 motors, why aren't those cylinders grouped together in this table? For example, 1,2,3,4 would be all "0" and 5,6,7,8 would be all "1"? The picture I have attached is how I've seen all these set up.

Thank you everyone.
    This table determines which cylinders will get LTFT corrections - in cross plane crankshaft engine there are "stronger and weaker" cylinders.
    Bank to bank it's not exactly equal hence you need to sort them in a specific groups.

One more thing - SD was created to make the engine drive-able if the MAF fails as Ford decided to save 10USD per car on MAP sensor.
    Most modern engines are equipped with both MAF and MAP so if one fails you can still drive the car in limp mode.
    They did the same with fuel pressure, battery voltage, exhaust temp etc. 10 bukc per sensor time 3 in 10 million vehicles - that's a lot of money.

Later they found that SD model is actually more stable and less prone to weather changes so they decided to filter MAF with SD.

Advanced Tuner
    Thank you veefour! I'll do more some more adjusting on this. Glad to know Ford went back to MAP. I figured they were going down the route of inferring the whole darn engine lol. Speaking of exhaust temp. Aside from cat protection, any reason for it to be accurate? Haven't played with them due to having no cats. Also, mine has a fuel rail pressure sensor. It's connected to manifold vacuum as well. Maybe I'm overthinking this but couldn't Ford just use that to infer map?

Thanks again sir

Quote Originally Posted by momotunes View Post
    Thank you veefour! I'll do more some more adjusting on this. Glad to know Ford went back to MAP. I figured they were going down the route of inferring the whole darn engine lol. Speaking of exhaust temp. Aside from cat protection, any reason for it to be accurate? Haven't played with them due to having no cats. Also, mine has a fuel rail pressure sensor. It's connected to manifold vacuum as well. Maybe I'm overthinking this but couldn't Ford just use that to infer map?

Thanks again sir
    They changed the ECU form Siemens to Bosch and yes 2018 got some sensors back - MAP is still not there but fuel pressure sensors and EGT(EU only, GPF shit) are back.

2020 Predator engine has MAP and no MAF - judging by the pics on internet.