Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any 4.6 v8 panther car help here??

Tuner

Any 4.6 v8 panther car help here??

I need some timing help because I am confused between mbt and the borderline charts. I don’t think I’ve adjusted them correctly for 93 octane.

Do I Adjust one or the other? or both? and the numbers I put in on borderline chart and the actual timing advance during data logging is different.

And I haven’t touched anything else such as fuel stuff, iat stuff etc. but I heard you need too if you adjust timing?

So I could use some advice.
    Last edited by J06CVPI; 09-01-2019 at 06:36 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I'm not an expert by any means, I'm actually fairly new and have only played with tuning my supercharged coyote swap. However, your panther title got me in here since I have a 2010 CVPI in my driveway waiting to go underneath my 1968 F-100. I just went out and pulled the stock tune off mine to look at it and see if I can help. Using Coyote logic, don't adjust the MBT, Borderline should be what you need and make sure you are only adjusting your WOT area for now. Post your datalog and tune if you want, I can check it out and see what you did. Also, were you logging knock? It could have been knocking and pulling timing.

I can help with what I know which honestly isn't much.

I know to leave the MBT alone. Adjust the borderline knock table but DO NOT exceed the values in the MBT table when your changing things. The value in your logs will be different because there are multiple spark tables adjusting your timing for different reasons. Load, air temp, coolant temp, lambda, etc. No one table controls everything.

I can tell you that I'm still figuring out the way the spark tables work. I run strictly E-85 in my car. Under WOT my timing hovers around 20 to 24 degrees depending on my RPM and other associated values.. But when I let off my timing jumps to around 36 to 38 degrees with no load.. I'm still trying to figure it all out. But thats what my car is currently doing. Runs good, no complaints.

I also purchased a book from Lasota racing to aid in learning.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by RSAVIPER View Post
    I'm not an expert by any means, I'm actually fairly new and have only played with tuning my supercharged coyote swap. However, your panther title got me in here since I have a 2010 CVPI in my driveway waiting to go underneath my 1968 F-100. I just went out and pulled the stock tune off mine to look at it and see if I can help. Using Coyote logic, don't adjust the MBT, Borderline should be what you need and make sure you are only adjusting your WOT area for now. Post your datalog and tune if you want, I can check it out and see what you did. Also, were you logging knock? It could have been knocking and pulling timing.
    thank you so very much.. i will send tune and log in a few. im about to go run aa data log.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 09Vic View Post
    I can help with what I know which honestly isn't much.

I know to leave the MBT alone. Adjust the borderline knock table but DO NOT exceed the values in the MBT table when your changing things. The value in your logs will be different because there are multiple spark tables adjusting your timing for different reasons. Load, air temp, coolant temp, lambda, etc. No one table controls everything.

I can tell you that I'm still figuring out the way the spark tables work. I run strictly E-85 in my car. Under WOT my timing hovers around 20 to 24 degrees depending on my RPM and other associated values.. But when I let off my timing jumps to around 36 to 38 degrees with no load.. I'm still trying to figure it all out. But thats what my car is currently doing. Runs good, no complaints.

I also purchased a book from Lasota racing to aid in learning.
    than you very much for responding. i am in the same boat bro. tuning is a science it seems. ok so i will edit my mbt back to stock

Tuner
    @RSAVIPER
    i have some pinging up top starts around 4300-4400 rpms just prior to and during shift point into 3rd but only at wot. also i hear a little when i crack the throttle open really quick at lower speeds.

its 80 degrees out, high humidity and dew points outside. ac was on during run as well.. ping isn't there with ac off in cooler weather as a fyi. by the way thats another thing im confused about.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    I was not logging knock I don’t think. The only option I have for knock. is knock sensor voltage.

I'll look at a few things.. Gimmie some time.

Ok I made a couple changes. One to your stoich values as I am sure the fuel you are using is probably a e-10 blend. So I changed it to reflect that.
    Also your load increase correction was a touch high. So I brought that down to reflect whats in my tune. As well as removing your global spark adder. All in all it may remove up to 3.5 degrees of timing in your transition areas where you are hearing the knock. Along with the stoich change I think it'll help remove that knock your describing.

Give it a shot. Let me know how it goes.

Tuner
    Thanks bro! Yeah I am up in Jersey I am running 93 octane I don’t know if it’s ethanol blended or not. Probably is. And it started pinging above 4500 as a correction to my last post. I will upload now. And get back to you soon. Thanks again!

Tuner
    Actually I am at work so I have no Internet. I will either upload this new file you made edits to for me later tonight or tomorrow and I will get back to you with another run. I appreciate it.

No worries. Take your time.

Tuner in Training
    send me your file.... ill have it fixed up in a few minutes

Tuner
    Ok jake. Thank you. Oh is there anyway to tune the lag out of the throttlebody especially on downshift sometimes on down shift from I want to say fourth to third during acceleration. There’s a bad bog. I notice spark drops way low too. I’ll try to log the down shift spark drop. And I’ll pm u it jay in a bit. I’ll be home shortly. I have my etc tip in max values maxed out. It’s a 06 Cvpi n/a Vic

Tuner

the file. with wot data log

Quote Originally Posted by Jekqmb1234 View Post
    send me your file.... ill have it fixed up in a few minutes

Tuner

@09

works good/
    timing is at 21 just under shiftpoint. we cant go higher on these cars? i was thinking 24 with 93?

Well being that its working we can add a little timing up top and see how it goes. I like to make small incremental changes to one or two things at a time and make sure they work before doing anything more.

So since your saying its good we can bring the timing up a little in the higher rpm and load areas and see if the knock stays gone. The stoich point change may also be helping with this.

So here is a update with some changes to to the timing in the upper area. See if this works without knock. If not put the other file back in and we can start working on the shift hesitation you have. Try to minimize that.

Tuner in Training
    Well being that its working we can add a little timing up top and see how it goes. I like to make small incremental changes to one or two things at a time and make sure they work before doing anything more.

So since your saying its good we can bring the timing up a little in the higher rpm and load areas and see if the knock stays gone. The stoich point change may also be helping with this.

So here is a update with some changes to to the timing in the upper area. See if this works without knock. If not put the other file back in and we can start working on the shift hesitation you have. Try to minimize that.
    I could use some help with mine if you're up to it. I think the gear change from 3.27 to 3.73 and with the trans rebuild with shift kit really keeps the engine in the power band throughout the gear changes and made it more fun to drive.

It's good to see there are other Vic guys here. I really wasn't expecting to see it.

Advanced Tuner

Tuner

epic! thank you so much! i will upload and get back to let you know how it goes. also what is spark load increase?