Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Any 4.6 v8 panther car help here??

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by decipha View Post
    trans is all driver specific whats perfect to one driver can be horrible to another

if its all stock then no need in getting crazy with shift points and lock up etc... What I do on all my auto tunes is lock the converter early and use the steady state slip table to dither the converter clutch. It can give you significant tq increases for daily driving and make the vehicle much more pleasureable to drive. Play with it and see.

If you have access to the tq modulation timer functions you can significantly reduce them and increase the tq reduction on shifts to get a more sportier and firmer shift without messing with line pressure. I do that on all my auto tunes as well.

If the car is pinging then it has too much timing for the condition. if it occurs at higher air temps then you need to go to the iat spark retard multiplier table and pull more timing out at the cells its pinging in.

When I used to tune the state local and county crown vic cruisers years ago they all would ping as well when warmed up while running the stock tune so thats not abnormal although our local PD runs 83 octane fuel which is garbage.
    Can you help me with my trans tune since you use to tune the township Cars. Mine is a 06 cvpi
    The earlier lock up is something it could definitely use.
    Last edited by J06CVPI; 06-15-2021 at 12:38 AM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 09Vic View Post
    Well being that its working we can add a little timing up top and see how it goes. I like to make small incremental changes to one or two things at a time and make sure they work before doing anything more.

So since your saying its good we can bring the timing up a little in the higher rpm and load areas and see if the knock stays gone. The stoich point change may also be helping with this.

So here is a update with some changes to to the timing in the upper area. See if this works without knock. If not put the other file back in and we can start working on the shift hesitation you have. Try to minimize that.
    Im gonna try this again now that my fuel enrichment works.
    Will you be willing to help Me where we left off with me and help me with this? any assistance is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by J06CVPI; 06-15-2021 at 12:39 AM.

Tuner
    [QUOTE=decipha;584659]trans is all driver specific whats perfect to one driver can be horrible to another

if its all stock then no need in getting crazy with shift points and lock up etc... What I do on all my auto tunes is lock the converter early and use the steady state slip table to dither the converter clutch. It can give you significant tq increases for daily driving and make the vehicle much more pleasureable to drive. Play with it and see.

If you have access to the tq modulation timer functions you can significantly reduce them and increase the tq reduction on shifts to get a more sportier and firmer shift without messing with line pressure. I do that on all my auto tunes as well.

If the car is pinging then it has too much timing for the condition. if it occurs at higher air temps then you need to go to the iat spark retard multiplier table and pull more timing out at the cells its pinging in.

When I used to tune the state local and county crown vic cruisers years ago they all would ping as well when warmed up while running the stock tune so thats not abnormal although our local PD runs 83 octane fuel which is garbage.remental changes to one or two things at a time and make sure they work before doing anything more.

Quote Originally Posted by Thatwhite5.0 View Post
    @Thatwhite

Should I make there?s adjustments? The other guy says he don?t touch line pressure.

Advanced Tuner
    We all tune different. I like firm shifts, Trans will last longer. A slow smooth shift is slowly burning the trans/clutches, decreasing life expectancy. If yours is high milage it could be hard on the Trans.
    When I was younger I had an 04 crown vic.. Had a badass sct device with a canned tune. That canned tune blew my Trans, lost 1st and 2nd and reverse I believe. It wasnt the pressure, it shifted my car too high. I want to say closer to 6800. It sure didn't last longer than a week. I think pressure will help, high rpm is the death.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by VENTILATOR View Post
    2011 cvpi light tune for trans only. plz look and give me points to increase power like timing and fuel need that help.
    i am uploading my stock file and then my tune.
    ALSO THE REPOSITORY FILES ALL SAY STOCK FILE BUT THEY ARE NOT ? 2 CVPI FROM THE SAME YEAR HAVE DIFFERENT SETTINGS in the 2005 cvpi files on the repository page ?? wtffff?
    2011 cvpi ORIGINAL trans tune.hpt
    rev limit and trans tune
    what is your mods and fuel

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwhite5.0 View Post
    We all tune different. I like firm shifts, Trans will last longer. A slow smooth shift is slowly burning the trans/clutches, decreasing life expectancy. If yours is high milage it could be hard on the Trans.
    When I was younger I had an 04 crown vic.. Had a badass sct device with a canned tune. That canned tune blew my Trans, lost 1st and 2nd and reverse I believe. It wasnt the pressure, it shifted my car too high. I want to say closer to 6800. It sure didn't last longer than a week. I think pressure will help, high rpm is the death.
    I?m going to upload my tune and my data log later if you could take a look at it? I have this little weird issue currently at light throttle and only at light throttle where one to two shift is fine but during 2nd. the rpms dip then rebound b4 shifting into 3rd without changing throttle position

This just started after uploading this tune 2 days ago.

Tuner
    I also agree that higher RPMs destroy these transmissions I think It actually starts by destroying torque converter 1st and then everything else goes from there

My converter for example was replaced a few months ago and its already burning up because it doesnt want to stay locked up anymore. Especially uphill

I also had it shifting at like 6000 RPMs

I did Because after the car shifts out of first at wide-open throttle the RPM needle falls back to about 3800 Before it continues climbing in second. But when It was shifting at 6k. Rpms would fall back to 4K and start climbing. which I liked better. It?s sounds so much better when the converter locks up at 4000k.

I noticed the local Crown Vic patrol cars back when I was younger because I?m in my low 30s now but I would hear them go wide-open throttle and I could tell by the sound of that motor from the outside that After they shifted out of first
    They starting pulling 2nd at 4000 @ stock shift point. at the leasat it sounded like stock shift point as you can tell if it?s 6000
    Car screams too long. Wish I knew how to accomplish that but that would be nice

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by J06CVPI View Post
    I also agree that higher RPMs destroy these transmissions I think It actually starts by destroying torque converter 1st and then everything else goes from there

My converter for example was replaced a few months ago and its already burning up because it doesnt want to stay locked up anymore. Especially uphill

I also had it shifting at like 6000 RPMs

I did Because after the car shifts out of first at wide-open throttle the RPM needle falls back to about 3800 Before it continues climbing in second. But when It was shifting at 6k. Rpms would fall back to 4K and start climbing. which I liked better. It?s sounds so much better when the converter locks up at 4000k.

I noticed the local Crown Vic patrol cars back when I was younger because I?m in my low 30s now but I would hear them go wide-open throttle and I could tell by the sound of that motor from the outside that After they shifted out of first
    They starting pulling 2nd at 4000 @ stock shift point. at the leasat it sounded like stock shift point as you can tell if it?s 6000
    Car screams too long. Wish I knew how to accomplish that but that would be nice
    nope, if you wants the most hp of your engine shift around 6000 rpm if the car have few mod
    bolt ons shift around 6100
    4.6 screams loud at high rpms its normal that engine have a nice tone
    if your tans always blow up you have problem with your set up
    i saw your in your profile your rear tires 275 that overkill on stock 250 hp car that put a lot stress on trans
    i have few friends and my car our cars bolt ons we shift like 6100 rpm with trans tune
    sorry for my language

Tuner in Training
    To my understanding, You want to edit the Borderline Spark table and raise the mbt to be higher than the borderline, The car will apply the lowest values between those two tables, Reason for raising the mbt is so you only have to tune the Borderline and dont have to worry about the car jumping from table to table, And to look for knock you can add the Knock cyl 1-8 (+adv/-ret) & Knock Corrections, and if the car is subtracting it means you have too much timing and need to lower that value, and if its adding you can add more timing, But I'm no expert, Thats just my 2 cents

Potential Tuner
    Hi i have a 2005 grand marquis

I wanted to know which table should i adjust for burble.

Quote Originally Posted by J06CVPI View Post
    works good/
    timing is at 21 just under shiftpoint. we cant go higher on these cars? i was thinking 24 with 93?
    with your octane, you can easily run with 26 degrees of advance, but make sure that you really generate power and not all knock.

Potential Tuner
    Can you please let me know how to log hytogram for knock.

05 grand marquis