Thread: ECU differences between Ram years/models?

ECU differences between Ram years/models?

What differences exist between a 2005 Ram 1500, and 2005 2500 ECU, if any?
    Further to that, What differences exist between a 2004 ECU and a 2005 ECU in regards to programming or tuning abilities?

Advanced Tuner
    FWIW have you gone to the tuning repository and looked at 2004 and 2005 RAM stock tunes? Should give you info like ECU, calibration P/N and if you do a compare it will give you insight to the differences in the tunes.

Advanced Tuner
    The only significant difference I can think of is that you could get a manual transmission with the 5.7 Hemi in the 2500s, so you will find manual trans files for that application and you will not for the 1500s.

Are we talking gas, diesel....?

What is the goal here?

If you want to swap, you'll need to satisfy the VIN, Mileage, and possibly security/SKIM. None of these things can be done with HPT.
    Last edited by spoolboy; 08-31-2020 at 11:15 AM.
    If in doubt, multiply everything by 1.1.

Advanced Tuner
    Speaking of SKIM, I was messing with my 2013 JGC today and was going to write a tune an noticed there was an option to disable SKIM-retrofit (or something like that) in the pull down where you select write entire. Not sure if it always has been their but made me wonder if it truly does disable it? Don't ever recall seeing that option on my 2015 RT but it's a manual so I never played with that pull down menu as it does not have a TCM.

Advanced Tuner
    So it can't be done even though it shows the option when trying to write.

Advanced Tuner
    That sounds like a great question for HPT Support.

Blake @ TSS is Blake Andermann from DIYHEMI.com

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    FWIW have you gone to the tuning repository and looked at 2004 and 2005 RAM stock tunes? Should give you info like ECU, calibration P/N and if you do a compare it will give you insight to the differences in the tunes.
    I don't have my MPVI2 yet....couple of weeks away, so I can't access the repo yet.

This is kind of a long story but what I really want to do is tune my transmission, which long story short, is not possible.
    I have an older model flashpaq that will do the trans tuning on the 545rfe but it doesn't work on my truck due to my truck most likely having newer firmware than my tuner.

So my idea here is to swap the PCM either with a 2005 from a 1500, or a 2500 in either case hoping for older firmware that my flashpaq will work with so I can use it to tunethe trans and the MPVI2 for everything else. Failing that, swapping with a 2004 which I KNOW my flashpaq works with.

I've heard a lot that 2005 is the most tuneable, so I'm basically trying to find out what I'd lose out on if I swapped with a 2004 ECU so that I could gain the trans tuning ability.

Quote Originally Posted by spoolboy View Post
    The only significant difference I can think of is that you could get a manual transmission with the 5.7 Hemi in the 2500s, so you will find manual trans files for that application and you will not for the 1500s.

Are we talking gas, diesel....?

What is the goal here?

If you want to swap, you'll need to satisfy the VIN, Mileage, and possibly security/SKIM. None of these things can be done with HPT.
    see my reply above about what I'm trying to achieve.

I'm workign with a 5.7L hemi and 545RFE.

Advanced Tuner
    These are the only tables accessible for tuning by HPT in a 2005 5.7 Ram trans file. You can change shift points for each gear in the modes listed based on output shaft speed and throttle position. You cannot change shift pressures, TCC tables, etc.

Not worth the swap in my opinion.

In the engine file, you can access some of the torque management settings that work with the transmission.

ramtrans2005.jpg

These are the only tables accessible for tuning by HPT in a 2005 5.7 Ram trans file. You can change shift points for each gear in the modes listed based on output shaft speed and throttle position. You cannot change shift pressures, TCC tables, etc.

Not worth the swap in my opinion.

In the engine file, you can access some of the torque management settings that work with the transmission.

ramtrans2005.jpg
    Hey thanks for that, my MPVI2 won't be here for probably another 2 weeks....and then I still have to sort out credits.

I don't understand any of that though LMFAO..... I'm going to sit down and watch some videos about how to tune with this thing once it arrives. I plan on only making minor or necessary changes.

I'm trying to post a pic of the options for the flashpaq on my 2004, but seem to be having trouble.

I have a spreadsheet with the points charted out that will let you see the changes you make in the flashpaq..... I also have lots of schedules to try for various things. it goes beyond just changing the shift rpm.
    2004 couldn't do torque management, but 2005 can, so firmer quicker shifts.

At any rate, I thought HPT couldn't do trans tuning for the 545RFE.....is that what those options are that you're showing me?

for some reason I can't upload a picture

Advanced Tuner
    That file is for a 2005 Ram 5.7 with a 545RFE. The tuning parameters are very limited for this trans (or non-existent in some files) until about 2007-2008 where it's very tune-able.

That file is for a 2005 Ram 5.7 with a 545RFE. The tuning parameters are very limited for this trans (or non-existent in some files) until about 2007-2008 where it's very tune-able.
    that's why I'm looking into swapping the ECU, so I can use my flashpaq for the trans, and HPT for the engine tuning.

my flash paq has options laid out in a column for each gear like this......so I can change the settings completely, and chart the changes.

% Throttle - MPH
    0 12.87
    8.235 17.00
    16.47 23.00
    44.7 49.00
    44.7 49.00
    100 62.00