Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Tuning Assistance 2006 Ford Crown Vic PI

Tuner in Training

Question Need Tuning Assistance 2006 Ford Crown Vic PI

Hello all. I just recently purchased the HP Tuners MPVI 2 suite so that I could change my speedo on my 06' Crown Vic and also so that I can slowly learn about tuning of course.

Recently I recently had a performance rebuild done on the transmission and a ever so slightly stall converter (2400) and 3.73 gears with a traction loc unit put in. I updated the final drive to the new gear ratio, updated the revolutions per mile segment and changed "Use VID" to disabled. This corrected the speedo to read properly. I don't have any other mods done to it at the moment. I have a new set of coil packs and NGK TR55IX plugs to install in it as well.

If anyone has a tune file to send me for my vehicle I would appreciate the help. I would like to have the option of switching between an 87, 89, and 93 oct. tune. However, at the moment, a 87 oct tune at minimum would be greatly appreciated to use. After receiving the tuned file, it would give me the changes to study, review and compare against the stock tune.

Anyone willing to help me out? I can email the stock tune to someone to look over and alter if needed.

Thank you.

Curious what your rpm is at 70mph. I wanted to swap to 3.73 right after I bought mine so that's why I ask.

Post your stock tune file. And what octane fuel your currently running.

Tuner in Training
    I will post back on the rpm at 70 mph. I know it is probably around 2400 to 2500 rpms. It definitely runs higher rpms, but the throttle response is so much better in OD. My current trans build holds the gear so much more than it did before when you begin pushing down the pedal. The decrease in engine load has helped this as well, but I am not certain what controls that.

Anyways, This is the current tune file I am using. I've been fighting with disabling the EGR codes, but I have not been successful at properly doing it. In the engine diagnostic section you will see that I disabled it, but I think it caused more issues by doing so. Maybe I went about it the wrong way and disabled the wrong selections. Engine still runs great, but plagued with the MIL lamp.

2006 Ford Crown Vic (mod 1).hpt

Ok.... I didn't go nuts as I am not sure what fuel your burning etc.. Also I'm not sure what your going for.

So I fixed your stoich values due to almost all pump gas being at least e-10

Also I went into navigator and changed your egr type from 2 to 0. and disabled every egr code I could find in your tune file.

Then I add just a couple degrees of timing to see how your car reacts. Give it a try and see if we are goin in the right direction.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    I forgot to mention I primarily run 87 oct.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the quick response sir. I will upload the tune and give it a try. I am certain we will have to adjust the transmission shift timing from 2 to 3rd gear. After the trans rebuild, it seems as though it shifts too soon out of 2nd gear. However, depending on what trans pump pressure changes were made, I may need to just have 1st to 2nd gear line pressure slightly increased and 2 to 3 toned down or left as stock. With the new trans rebuild, it is already barking the tires when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear. The 1st to 2nd gear change is somewhat firm, but nothing like 2nd to 3rd gear is.

Tuner in Training
    It definitely woke it up on the low end of the RPM where it was lacking. Throttle response is much more present and seems to have a bit more torque on the low end. It seems as though it could use a few more degrees of timing. I'll have to do more logging and studying with the timing I am seeing at WOT in 1st, 2nd and 3rd throughout the entire RPM band.

Did you change any of the transmission settings? I ask because it feels the same when it shifts and it shifts about the same RPM at WOT.

Furthermore, have you tested the DBW throttle body in terms of what the throttle blade percentage is showing vs. where the actual throttle blade is actually at under WOT? If I am not mistaken, the percentage at WOT was only at 76.1 %.

Either way, I am going to enjoy this new tune. I like the new feel of it. It was really lacking on the low end prior to the changes you made.

Thank you sir.

Tuner in Training
    I haven't been able to do any logging, but today the outside temps are about 97*F. At about 3500 to 3800 RPMs in 2 gear I heard some light audible knock. I usually describe as a rattling noise. The normal operating temps at cruise on the highway have jumped from 192 *F with the stock tune to 200*F with modified tune. It was around 206*F right after the audible knock.

My question is, do you recommend me changing to cooler burning spark plug? I have a set of NGK TR55IX plugs that I was going to replace the current 50k mile ones with. I dont mind going to a one lower heat range plug if you think that would help take away knock.

Advanced Tuner
    no do not put colder plugs in a stock engine

put oem replacement plugs in it at the oem recommended plug gap.

if its knocking your over-advanced and your knock sensor threshold needs to be adjusted

206 is fine in a perfect world your coolant temp should be 212. At 224 you should start pulling a little timing and above 250 is metal starts warping so you never want to exceed 250.

The 2400 stall was a bit of a waste you can put an oem marauder converter in it for $100 that would have given you a touch more.

All 1994+ fords with the aode/4r70w/4r75 have a pwm tcc solenoid. Theres absolutely no reason to ever put anything less than a 4k stall converter in any of them since you control the lockup duty cycle thus set the stall speed in the tune. A higher stall will always give you better fuel economy. These heavy crown vics need all the stall they can get.

note the load, rpm, and spark advance that gives you knock. You never want to exceed that. Best bet is to pull 3 degrees in that area and verify its all gone.

Tuner in Training
    I agree with you on the converter being a waste. I honestly want to change it out because it just doesn't do what I was hoping for.
    I use the NGKs because that is what i put in it 50k miles ago. They still work fine, but that's usually when i change them on my vehicles.

I will work on pulling out some timing when I can pin point what load, rpm and the amount of timing it does it at.

Thanks for the help thus far guys. I really wasnt expecting that many friendly members here willing to help out like some of you guys have done.

I know I'll continue to need a lot of help, but the assistance that I have received has been great. Very much appreciated.

Tuner in Training
    These are my current MIL faults.Screenshot_20190905-143340_Torque.jpg

Tuner in Training
    I cant do anything with tune changes right now, but I've noticed some shifting issues that need some resolutions.

When normal driving, the trans will now shift through all of the gears and into overdrive by the time it gets to 25 mph. Also, I can depress the throttle pedal down about 70% and it will not downshift until about 75% to WOT throttle.

Does anyone know what is causing this in the tune I recently wrote the PCM to?

Tuner in Training
    i WOULD LIKE TO SEE WHAT u can do for me.
    my cvpi is lifted on 275/70/r16 and it need more power. its fast though dont think it has ever been tuned because the speed is wrong on the speedo
    i will upload my stock file soon just got my tuner 1 hour ago
    2011 CVPI
    LIFTED 3"
    On 275 / 70 r16 Hercules MT...
    CUSTOM EXHAUST CAT BACK 2.5"
    Full Prisoner cage in back (for my dogs or my humans)
    Love It
    LAS VEGAS,NV

Tuner in Training
    2011 CVPI
    LIFTED 3"
    Love It
    LAS VEGAS,NV

Hahah wow what a blast from the past. No mapped points or VCT.

There's not a whole lot you can do on a N/A setup. You could correct your speedometer, add more spark (Borderline Knock), and maybe clean up the shifts. That 4R70W used shift speed and throttle position which was a pain to tune for as vehicle speed was impacted by a large number of variables.

The theoretical max spark you can run would be the MBT table. In the old old days of SCT, they'd say to copy the MBT table over to BKT (Borderline) and run high octane fuel. You could slowly increase spark in the high RPM WOT region (say 50%+ load and 3500+ RPM) with the octane of fuel and monitor knock as a start.

Again don't expect magical gains. With XE262H cams, the Marauder airbox, my 2000 Crown Vic with its Non-PI Romeo 4.6 was only running 14.9-15.0 in the 1/4 mile which was decent for its time. It was largely eclipsed by the Marauders that came out running low to mid 14s with just a good tune, and running 12s with the Trilogy blower kit. Allen Engine used to have an AED blower kit for the Crown Vic and we'd run high 13s in them.

Tuner in Training

Take a look and mess with these plz

Stock is the file log i ddi today and then there is v1.. A tune made for me by saomeone...
    U can adjust my tune if u would like and let me try it... Or tell me whats up with hiusss
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2011 CVPI
    LIFTED 3"
    Love It
    LAS VEGAS,NV

Can you post your base file (stock read)? I will see if I can whip up something tomorrow. I may need to blow the dust off my SCT dongle and load up the crappy Advantage software once again. Haha

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by VENTILATOR View Post
    Ok here

I'll send you some adjustments.

One thing, did you rescale your MAF vs Volts? I downloaded a stock file and your Volts are different and your car is running on the lean side because of this. Do you have a cold air intake on your car or do you have a huge vacuum leak? You've already increased MAF a good amount and your car is still asking for more fuel.

I'll post the pictures, you can make the changes.

Start off in your Speedometer Calibration. Disable the VID block, that will allow the use of the tire RPM and N/V Ratio change in the picture.

v-speedocal.PNG

Go to your Fuel tab > Open Loop. We'll lower the O/L Delays and lower the TPS Threshold for O/L Fuel.

v-fueltab.PNG

Click on Spark > Advance Increase Borderline Knock to what's pictured and zero out the area in MBT Spark Lambda Correction.

v-spark.PNGv-knockadvance.PNG

In the Knock Retard Tab. Change Enable to 6000.

in Torque Model > Monitoring, Disable both IPC ROM Switch and IPC ROM Enable.

In Torque Management > General, disable Torque Intervention. Disabling these three all relate to throttle limiting, limiting the airflow by closing the throttle body.

V-torquemanagement.PNG

In the transmission part of the tune. Some downshift changes and some pressure changes. Your car will probably shift different due to the tire size change in the calibration. You'll have to see how it differs.

v-transtcclockup.PNG

Transmission > Torque Management, Disable Truncation.

There's a few changes you can do. Let me know if you're speedometer is actual MPH now.

Advanced Tuner
    v-pressdownshift.PNG

Forgot one in the Trans Tab. Probably forgot some others too.

Tuner in Training
    I BUILT A TRUE COLD AIR INTAKE 4" TUBE GOING OUT TO THE FRONT UNDER BUMPER. I WAS THINKING OF PUTTING THE STOCK AIR BOX BACK ON WITH JUST A K &N THOUGH LATELY...

this is the file i read when i first got my hp tuners mpvi2... the base read is the first file saying original...
    wish i could change the speedo for my 30.5"" tires,...

please edit my file and let me know what to do ill be up all night NOT tuning...

p.s. I've downloaded supposed stock files from the repository on HP tooters and found that 2 stock files from 2 different people for the same exact year and car or different so I don't know why it says stock file on the website.. ill attach 2 examples...: (not mine)
    2011 CVPI
    LIFTED 3"
    Love It
    LAS VEGAS,NV