Thread: 402 low dyno numbers 295rwhp 318 rwtq

Tuner

402 low dyno numbers 295rwhp 318 rwtq

Hey guys looking for some input on low dyno numbers. 78 Camaro, 402 stroker with 243 heads, 232/238 .558? 114 lsa 107 icl, professional products intake, 92mm throttle body, 1 7/8? headers. So far it has only put down 295hp and 318tq. Torque is peaking at 4400rpm, ve table is going down after 4000rpm and it doesn?t want to pull past 5000 rpm in 3rd gear. Basically have narrowed it down to what I think is a cam timing issue or weak springs. It has dual springs with titanium retainers so I doubt that?s the issue. It?s a new build and it?s never been tuned. Won?t be able to post a file or logs for a couple days. Any input is appreciated.
    2000 WS6 Trans Am LS3, Tick Performance Stage 2 cam, ARH 1 7/8" Headers, FLT Level 6 4L60e, Circle D 5c Launching on a 200K 10 Bolt

2001 Camaro SS M6 Black on Black

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    If it's never been tuned then I dont know what your asking for help with. The stock files while they might be good to start with wont be close for the cam, tb, and long tubes.
    We really need those logs and tune files to provide accurate guidance.

Do you have a wideband installed?

Tuner
    Sorry I should have been more specific. I have made a base file for it and have the correct injector data, displacement etc. I have done some tuning on it to get it in the ballpark and driving nice before the dyno. I have 2 wide bands installed. I know without the tune file and logs it?s kind of worthless. Timing is at 26 degrees and lambda was at .78 by the end of the pull which is definitely rich, but imo not going to cause power to be that low. The Ve table was going down around 4000 rpm.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    did you go around and double check the ecu settings for cat over-temp enrichment, any missed tqm in engine, missed tqm in transmission?
    did you change map sensors? key on engine off map reading in kpa?
    id you notice any knock sensor activity? stock settings pull pretty hard
    also, is the iat registering properly?
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner
    Here is the dyno pull and file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2000 WS6 Trans Am LS3, Tick Performance Stage 2 cam, ARH 1 7/8" Headers, FLT Level 6 4L60e, Circle D 5c Launching on a 200K 10 Bolt

One bank is richer than the other if both widebands are working correctly. Possible it would pick up some decent power if both banks were more equal and if it was running slightly leaner.

I would probably add your injector pulse width and knock retard just to keep an eye on that. Even attempt to watch fuel pressure through a pull to see what it's doing.

Locked or unlocked converter?

Is it running super heavy wheels or anything too? Dyno calibrated correctly?

Never hurts to check compression and make sure that is okay even on a new engine build.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    Yeah the widebands were reading different, one is my NGK AFX and the other is an ECM AFM 1500 that I just picked up and its the first time I used it. I need to verify that its setup right in the scanner, it reads different in the channels, but in the graph they are both reading the same. Just wanted to see the difference between the two. I didn't log fuel pressure, my buddy said it was not dropping on the gauge. Converter was unlocked and the dyno should be calibrated correctly, just did another car last night and the number was pretty close to what I was expecting. We are going to check cam timing today, got more info and found out that the guy who installed the cam was a helper of the engine builder and wasn't the brightest lol.

Tuner
    Under torque management, try maxing out the maximum torque vs rpm tables. I believe both tables have to be maxed out or ecu will pull power. Hope that helps!

Advanced Tuner
    why did they only rev it to 5000rpm?

Tuner
    Thanks for the input!

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by lukearmstrong1990 View Post
    why did they only rev it to 5000rpm?
    Luke I did the dyno pull. I decided to cut the test off because it would not pull. It took 10 seconds to go from 4000 to 5000rpm and it wouldn?t rev past 5k. Turns out the guy who installed the cam put it in 1 tooth off. You would never guess by the sound of the car that it was off that far. With the cam properly installed it rips the tires loose now lol. Thanks for the help everyone.