Thread: Remote start not working after supressing P0420 and P0430

Potential Tuner

Remote start not working after supressing P0420 and P0430

Hi all,

My 2014 Ford F-150 5.0L V8 runs on autogas. As a result my catalytic converters don't have to do much work. This results in P0420 and P0430 being thrown: Catalytic converter efficiency below threshold.

After we have determined that the cats are indeed fine we have set P0420 and P0430 to "No error reported". So, on the dash there is no MIL for these errors and on the OBD-II scanner there also is no mention of P0420 and P0430.

But, remote start does not work. The car just honks instead of starts. This is the exact behaviour I get when these two codes are not suppressed.

My question is why does the car refuse to remote start even when these codes (which prevented remote start) are suppressed.

I hope someone can help.

Advanced Tuner
    it is against the law to set any trouble codes to no error reported. Instead theres a legal loop hole where you can set it to no mil type but it will still show up when codes are read. Doing so should have it all functional again.

BTW, the correct way to disable the cats is by clearning their bit mask in the obdii_tst_sw.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by decipha View Post
    it is against the law to set any trouble codes to no error reported. Instead theres a legal loop hole where you can set it to no mil type but it will still show up when codes are read. Doing so should have it all functional again.

BTW, the correct way to disable the cats is by clearning their bit mask in the obdii_tst_sw.
    Thanks for your reply. We had set the code to no MIL, and indeed it showed up on the OBD II scanner. But then still remote start is not working because the code is there. When the cat codes are present (suppressed or otherwise) the engine will not remote start.

So it could work if we set the code to no MIL and clean the bit mask in obdii_tst_sw?

Advanced Tuner
    have you verified clearing codes allows remote start

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by decipha View Post
    have you verified clearing codes allows remote start
    Yes I did. Remote start works when I clear the codes.

Remote start will not work with MIL present - period.

Advanced Tuner
    clear the bit mask to disable it all together

Potential Tuner
    Correct, and also not when it is suppressed i.e. set to "No error reported".

How do I clear the bit mask in obdii_tst_sw?

It's simply a name for the IM monitor bit position flags. The HPTuners UI makes it easy to enable and disable the tests but what decipha is talking about is in older/other software to disable the IM, you have to reduce the value by the corresponding bit value. For instance, if the test switch and mil switch values are set to 247 stock, reducing each value by 1 would disable the cat monitor IM, reducing by 32 would disable the o2 monitor, and reducing by 128 would disable misfire IM.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks. I was indeed looking for a way to do this in the HP Tuners UI. Then I will disable the test and re-enable to P0420 and P0430 codes since they will not show up anyway anymore.

Did you try disabling the Cat test & Cat Mil in Engine Diagnostics > Exhaust?

Russ Kemp

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    Did you try disabling the Cat test & Cat Mil in Engine Diagnostics > Exhaust?

Russ Kemp
    Thanks for pointing me to the direct spot to set it. I'll contact my mechanic who has HP Tuners and ask him to set it.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks all for the help. It works now. Remote start works. Thanks again.