Thread: No Spark E92

Tuner in Training

No Spark E92

Good afternoon,
    I'm working on a '14 E92 controlled LV3 (4.3) in a swap, 3rd gen Camaro. I've been fighting with a No Spark issue for a while, and it's got me . I originally suspected that my crank voltage dropped too low for the ECM, so I've isolated it by running a separate "crank" battery, and supplying everything else with another battery, and that didn't solve the issue. I need to ask, if you had a no spark issue, what would you log to help diagnose it? I am currently logging Crank and Cam sensors, MAF, Spark Adv., Run/Crank voltage, RPM, and Inj Duty. To me, the novice, all looks OK, but alas no spark. Fuel pressure is good at 60+psi. Any help is appreciated.

Tuner
    This may help you troubleshoot your "no spark" condition. Sounds like it most likely is a bad ecm or bad flash if you have crank and cam signals. The following tests will verify whether or not the ecm is doing it's job.
    Each ignition coil has an ignition 1 voltage feed and a ground circuit. The engine control module (ECM) supplies a low reference and an ignition control circuit. Each ignition coil contains a solid state driver module. The ECM will command the ignition control circuit ON, which allows the current to flow through the primary coil windings. When the ECM commands the ignition control circuit OFF, this will interrupt current flow through the primary coil windings. The magnetic field created by the primary coil windings will collapse across the secondary coil windings, which induces a high voltage across the spark plug electrodes.

Tuner in Training
    Hi Marshall, this is the circuit I've been concentrating on, and I did log IGN1CC which is the control circuit. It does change to YES while cranking, but no output at the coil. I don't believe there is any way to fire these manually like earlier ECM's, so I'm not sure how to test what I'm seeing.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner
    You have verified power and ground to the coils i'm sure. But to double check, I would find a 12 bullb, (not test light but something that draws more current), and test across the positive and negative terminals at one or more of the coils.

Tuner in Training
    I did verify 12V at all of the coils, key on and cranking.

Tuner
    violet/dk blue- ignition
    black -ground
    blk/gray -coils 2,4,6 low ref pin 16 at ecm (brown/white)
    blk/dk blue -coils 1,3,5 low ref pin 31 at ecm (blk/dk blue)

Try measuring voltage at black wire on one of the coils, If you show any voltage, then you have a ground problem.

Tuner in Training
    So everything looks good here as well, no V at the - or Low Ref, and 12.9V differential from Vio/DkBlu to any other pin. Just for kicks yesterday, I redid the Batt to block/harness grounds, and it did pick up a little crank RPM, but nothing else really changed.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by RC1 View Post
    So everything looks good here as well, no V at the - or Low Ref, and 12.9V differential from Vio/DkBlu to any other pin. Just for kicks yesterday, I redid the Batt to block/harness grounds, and it did pick up a little crank RPM, but nothing else really changed.
    Just a quick update on this. As I kind of expected early on, there was an issue with the VATS patch for my OS. Once they corrected that, it fired right up. Thanks to those that responded.

Tuner in Training
    I'm having the no spark issue as well. Did updating the software fix it?