Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P0315 Crank relearn varient code?

Tuner in Training

P0315 Crank relearn varient code?

Since doing a segment swap for engine, engine diag. and system. then "Write Entire" I now have a code P0315 Crank code. I have done the Crank Relearn several times and it keeps coming back. Would having a Lingenfelter box on have anything to do with this? I am at my wits end. Its a 2012 5.3 with a 2003 P59 ecu and I am using the Lingenfelter box to convert the 58x to 24x signal. The motor only has 12k miles on it and I don't believe it to be the crank sensor. In the scanner I am showing crank sensor signal around 1400-1500. what should the signal be? Anyone else run into this and find resolution. I have seen this topic talked about but haven't seen how anyone fixed it.

Any help is appreciated.

Tuner
    Are you showing a good cam signal? Did the crank relearn complete?

Tuner in Training
    Hey Mbrowning,
    Crank relearn completed. turned off ignition for a min. then restarted and the code was gone then came back after a few seconds of running.
    I haven't checked cam signal. I was thinking crank issue, but good point to check it as well. Also do I have to do anything since this was a dod block? The ecu is from a 2003 and the segment swap I did was from a 03 van OS. The cam now is a 04 Z06 cam. Do I need to disable dod in the engine diag and turn off the code? If so how will I know if there is an issue in the future? lol Was there dod in 2003? I have to many questions. Every time I think I'm getting close to an answer I end up with more questions....LOL
    Thanx for any help in advance

Tuner
    I haven't tried that so i'm not sure. I am sure someone on here knows. It sounds like you have an erratic signal from one or the other. You should get two crank counts for every single cam count. I think if it was a calibration issue from the segment swap, you would probably have starting issues as well.

Tuner in Training
    Ran it with cam Hi/Lo and Lo/Hi signal on the scanner. Not sure what the #'s should be but I see a consistent # on both the hi/low cam signal and Lo/Hi signal. I haven't drove the truck yet but it starts perfect every time and seems to run and rev up fine sitting here in the shop. I have a couple things to button up and maybe i'll take it around the block. No exhaust just 18" pipes off the headers for the O2's to read proper. lol Just a quick run to see if there are any other issues. I need to run to the gas station. Maybe that will be my test drive!

If anyone knows if I need to just turn it off in engine diag. please let me know. It looks like there are other codes if the crank sensor is bad and this is just a learn code. I copied and pasted this from the DTC's:

P0315 - Crankshaft Position System Variation Not Learned (Pending, Current, History)

P59 does not have DOD, so no need to consider that.

This seems like an issue of cam signal at the wrong time. This might also explain the wrong injector shutting down when you were running those tests for the bad injector.

This guy had issues with the cam sensor extension on his GEN3 PCM/GEN4 motor:
    https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...n-iii-pcm.html

The GEN3 P59 is expecting the cam signal based on the usual GEN3 cam sensor in the rear of the block reading the cut-out on the back of the cam. Your 2004 Z06 cam has that but since it is in a 2012 GEN4 block...When you stuck the Z06 cam in which upper timing gear did you run? Which timing cover? If you used something like this:
    https://www.texas-speed.com/p-4758-t...-vehicles.aspx
    should be fine.

Hope this helps.

Tuner in Training
    Thanx for the info IARLLC,

Per Lingenfelter that extension is removed and the box does read that its synced. What should my cam signal and crank signals be? any idea where I can get that info. I see the #'s in scanner but don't know what im looking for. They seem stable and consistent. And there are no code for crank or cam sensor error. I see in engine diag that codes would be sent if something was wrong. Just code P0315 - Crankshaft Position System Variation Not Learned (Pending, Current, History) is being triggered. Maybe I need to have it done with something other than the MVPI2 so its right? Drove it for the first time down to the gas station and seemed to run fine. No misfire codes or anything like that. Just P0315. I have a lot of tuning to do but all seems well other than this code and an alt l code P1637 that has nothing to do with this.

OK. Cool. Must all be in order.

I am not sure on doing the learn with HPTuners. I have read a lot of people describing the process on HPTuners where the rpm does not cut off.

With a Tech2 it requires the e-brake then the foot brake then full throttle. The computer cuts off at about 4k rpm and shows complete.

Maybe HPT is able to complete the learn without the parts of the puzzle but I have my doubts.

If it is a swap, I would suggest at least a temporary e-brake ground signal for the pcm and a brake signal then retry the process. As far as I know, if it does not cut off at about 4k the learn probably did not really happen.

I am happy to be wrong about this but it seems this way to me.

Tuner in Training
    It cuts off like it should. I shut it down for a minute and restart but code is still there. Clear DTC's and its still there immediately. I might see if the mechanic down the road from me has a tech2 and if that might do it. We'll see..

Another criteria, if the engine does not smooth out enough before the test, it usually won't run. The Tech2 will say so if that is the case.

Tuner in Training
    It runs real smooth. and the test completes. Still have code after. Haven't got to the mechanic down the street yet.

Are there any other codes present? A code would keep it from learning the position. I understand that your system says it completes the test but...it seems possible that it is wrong.

I cannot remember the exact coolant temperature required for it to learn but it seems like 174+ F.

The fact that it is cutting off makes me think that it has reached all criteria though. With a Tech2, if anything is not quite right it won't even run the test...no cut-off etc.

Either it is not completing the test/learning the position

or

It is losing the learned position right away

How can it lose the learned position?
    Maybe crank end-play
    Maybe weak crank position signal
    Maybe cam sensor or upper timing gear not oriented as P59 expects
    Which timing cover and upper timing gear did you end up using?

This is the one with the V6 tune that's had V8 segments swapped into it, isn't it? Still not sure that's ever going to work right.

OK. Yeah, I am not totally sure how well segment swaps switch everything over. I would tend to think that it needs to be flashed to a V8 OS in order to be sure everything lands right....like injector # and coil # being correct. If any of that is off it can't ever be really right.

Tuner in Training
    So I did a little more research based on what blindsquirrel Said about the segment swap. I was originally told that in 03 on that the P59 was both a V8 and V6 ecu. It says it right in the info when you bring it up in HPT. On LS1tech from a couple years ago it says that you need a 0411 or 896 service # up to 02 if converting to V8. Is this true? I have an 03 does that not change things?The service # I got is 12576106. Anyone got info on this 1? I have another ecu that is a 0411 but do I have to buy additional credits to swap it? I don't have a problem doing that but if I do and I didn't have to then that would suck. The motor seems to run fine. would it run better or different with the 0411? more fine tuned? I need some info that I cant seem to find any definite answers for. Where else can I look? Don't want to damage my motor if what I'm doing is wrong. Don't want to waste more money chasing unsure information. I need a compass to point me in the right direction.

Is there anyone who can look at a log file and tell me its right as far running as a V8? Would anyone be able to determine I need to swap ecu based on a log file?

Well Here is a log file from the 3rd test drive I took around the block.
    I know this has become a bit of a ramble on, but I just want clarity before I continue down a path that might wreck s**t.

Thanx for any info and help you all have gave and are going to give.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by MadRatt; 09-10-2019 at 01:49 PM.

There is certainly no need to go from an 03 back to an 02. The 03 has a few advantages and yes, the 03 P59 is for both V6 and V8. My Tahoe has a P59. I am just not totally sure that a segment swap takes a V6 entirely over to a V8. Maybe it does. There are LOTS of guys on here who can speak more accurately about segment swaps than I can.

I use GM tools to put the most appropriate and up to date GM OS in the PCM, then I just adjust/tune it.

On this start-up that you logged, was it running smoothly? The MAF numbers were a little low for the rpm and the MAP was much higher than expected with a smooth idle. Seems like a vacuum leak or the MAP is not set up right. Are you running a 2003 MAP or 2012?

Tuner in Training
    Map is the one that came on the LS1 intake. I used the calibration from the 04 Z06 tune since I was using that cam. maybe I need to look at if the maps are different, running the cals from the LS1 if its different? Only things from the 2012 are whatever came with the block. I am starting my exhaust tomorrow. Its pretty loud with just the 18" pipes off the headers. But it seems to be running smooth. Idles good and goes down the road smooth. I don't think the tune is right but its hard to tell when its so loud. Its not missing or coughing. I should be able to feel and hear it better with a muffler on it. As far as MAF goes i'm running a brand new oem 04 Corvette MAF. Would a 92mm TB and 4" CAI reduced to 3.5" at the MAF make those #'s off?

Thanx again IARLLC for all the help

Rockauto is showing different Service Numbers for V6 & V8 '03 Silverados (4.3 Silverado and 4.3 S10 use the same one, 12576106). If they were compatible there would just be one Service Number for all of them.

Tuner in Training
    Thanx blindsquirrel,
    I don't know why they would be different, but they are. I have a service #0411 ecu that I grabbed from the junkyard. Came out of a 2003 4.3 S10 crew cab. I guess it just matters what day and what plant had what ecu available. If I can't get any definitive info on the differences or what I need to do to my ecu to fix this. I guess i'll be spending 2 more credits on the Junkyard one and see what happens. I want the relearn to work because I believe it will give me better precision in my tuning which will mean better fuel economy, and drivability. Even thou it seems to run good now.

You are right. Even a fresh 2019 L86 runs noticeably smoother after the crank position is learned. It is worth it to find a 2003 V8 P59. I don't know all of the differences between 2002 and 2003 but the AC related e-fan controls are MUCH better starting in 2003.

As for the intake tube combination, it is easy to adjust the tune to work accurately with these mods. No big deal.

So for the MAP...Is your intake manifold and MAP from a 2003 or 2012?

Can you attach your tune? Just need to make sure the MAP settings are right for the MAP.