Thread: Safe Max Timing Whipple 392

Advanced Tuner

Safe Max Timing Whipple 392

So been trying to get my scat pack into the 6 and after getting close im still only making 7.22 passes at 99.89mph My main concern is i dont want to grenade it as im still on the stock pistons and rods. Im running the stage 2 Whipple kit at 8# I know im already pushing my luck but id really like to see it be the first 6 second (in my area at least) car thats completely stock other than a Whipple. No drag radials stock suspension everything stock. So this leads me into my question of whats considered a safe timing mark?? Should i just keep adding it until it stops making power?? Or would i eventually just make power until the piston lets go??? I keep a close eye on knock and only see blimps of it in the tune (-.5) so i feel like i could go more with timing. Or should i look into the transmission side of thing to shave off what time i can there as i haven't touched the TCM as of yet.. Would like any opinions good or bad , Im still learning and am by no way a expert in tuning but love making power!!

Tuner in Training
    What is your current timing table looking like? What are your AFRs at? Posting your tune and logs will help other professionals here guide you in a good direction.

Trans tune will definitely help you with trap speed. Stock 1-2 shift is like 5800rpm and right about 6000ish after that.

Advanced Tuner
    I will upload the tune file and a few logs later thanks FYI im running 17* from @ 3500-6500 AFR bounces around and haven't got it under control but stay on the rich side of things from 11.0 @ 4k to around 12.8 up top at shift. My commanded (11.8) AFR isn't matching my Actual reading and need to dive into it a little harder to figure it out.. Keep in mind these numbers are not exact just off the top of my head will post the tune and log later for details. thanks
    Last edited by FstdodgeKY; 09-07-2019 at 05:18 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    thats not safe at all

Stock 6.4, 8lbs boost, 17 degrees timing and 12.8 AFR. Not a good combo.
    2018 Trackhawk PCM/TCM tune by Dusterhoff.
    Flex Fuel, MMX faux 95mm TB, GripTec 2.85, 10% ATI lower, FIC1200, ARH 1 7/8 w/cats, 180 T-stat

13 Chrysler 300S, RAM BGE 412 stroker, cam motion 232/246 619/619 118 +4, ATI 18% OD pulley
    Whipple Gen5 3.0, 2.50 upper pulley, Smooth Boost controller, FIC 1200 inj. Nick W 108mm TB, FORE dual return fuel system, E85, FTI 2800 stall(SRT83380), SHR WAR Viking trans and valve body, Getrag 3.73, 1 7/8 kooks w/hi-flow cats, 3" Magnaflow Cat-back 943rwhp

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by coanan View Post
    Stock 6.4, 8lbs boost, 17 degrees timing and 12.8 AFR. Not a good combo.
    Holy Hell no it's not.

Crap.

Advanced Tuner
    Sorry been out for a few days, I'm very aware of the AFR being lean up top and i DONT drive with my foot on the floor. I will post my tune ASAP so i can get some more feedback on where i need to make some adjustment. My main concern is max timing and also why im not getting my commanded AFR's, also my LTFT are way in the 15% range and adjusting the pulse width shows no improvements. I'm obviously missing something so all the help is appreciated. Logs to posted soon at work now.....

Advanced Tuner
    Without seeing your tune, if your AFR is off at WOT your fuel trims will do bubkas as the power enrichment table takes over (depending on where WOT voltage is set).

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    as mentioned post your tune, thats alot of ignition advance and mopar doesnt like being very lean and their pistons are very sensitive to heat, i am sure with small adjustments you can reach your goal
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Advanced Tuner
    19-09-06 1.hpl
    19-09-06.hpl
    Whipple tune MAKE CHANGES HERE.hpt
    Here are two logs from same night. Only difference is 2 more degrees of ignition advance on second log, Also attached is the current tune in the car and also the same tune with these logs thanks for looking and be honest guys im still learning and will take all constructive criticism I can get as long as it helps me better myself.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    Whipple tune MAKE CHANGES HERE fueling and spark.hpt

this should run safer

also your not logging enough PIDs
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Advanced Tuner
    Any suggestions on what else to log. ?

Advanced Tuner
    thanks suitan will try thids out as sson as I get my car back from the body shop

Senior Tuner
    Fuel is your answer here, hopefully you're already running some sort of race fuel already, but I would def recommend some Q16 or Ignite 116. Q16 will help make additional power given its oxygenated, and Ignite will def help preserve those pistons and make your knock window a bit wider.

If you are on 93 octane, I would be scoping your motor already for some lost ring lands.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks SRT8 im not running anything but 93, i understand for the concern but if i had a cracked or broken ring land wouldn't i know it? The car runs good other than getting lean on the shifts. I do appreciate the advise, If i did scope the bore i assume i would notice a broke ring land, scoring walls and what not.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by FstdodgeKY View Post
    Thanks SRT8 im not running anything but 93, i understand for the concern but if i had a cracked or broken ring land wouldn't i know it? The car runs good other than getting lean on the shifts. I do appreciate the advise, If i did scope the bore i assume i would notice a broke ring land, scoring walls and what not.
    Nope, you can have a perfectly running car with ringland damage.

But yes, if you look inside your pistons, you will definitely see a broken ringland. It's hard to miss.