Thread: 06 GTO/70 Chevelle Hybrid - MAP/MAF/TPS issues

Tuner in Training

06 GTO/70 Chevelle Hybrid - MAP/MAF/TPS issues

Good Morning guys,

I am integrating the drivetrain (Engine, Transmission, Radiator, fans, Wiring Harness from headlights to taillights, BCM, ECM, PIM, Fuse Box, Gauge Cluster etc). A few weeks ago I had my first startup, and am at a point where I might need some help. When I first start the car, it's got a crazy lope to the idle. and after about 30-40 seconds it cleans up, but I have a few faults that I'm not sure where to go from here... I am going to pick up some new intake manifold gaskets and change them hoping that it might be a vacuum leak. I am still using the stock EVAP Purge solenoid (the line is plugged exiting the solenoid at the moment until I can finish up the EVAP hookups. I have verified I have 58 PSI of fuel pressure at the rails.

Now If I clear all of the fault codes, and try to start the car, it's got a crazy lope, like it's rocking a huge cam...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIzbUVkxmaw

Now after about 30 seconds, or if I feather the throttle it cleans up pretty quickly, but I get a P0106 (Manifold Absolute Pressure/Baro Sensor Range.Performance Pending. fault. Now I've checked the wiring (Stock), and I have 5.05V, a good ground, and the MAP Signal is changing at the ECM pretty consistently.

I also have an issue where if I press the gas pedal too quickly, I get a P0068 (MAP/MAF-Throttle Position Correlation), and a P0107 (Manifold Absolute Pressure/BARO Sensor Low), and the car will restart for a second or two then die until I clear the fault codes.

In HPT, I can see the MAP pressure change from ~198kPa with the engine off, to ~65kPa idling. Then all over the board when the throttle is pressed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYXMfUGAHZM

I'm also getting some O2 sensor heater circuit faults that I'll need to look into, but I'm not entirely worried about them...

Like I mentioned, I did have the intake manifold off a while back and didn't replace the runner gaskets, so I'll be doing that today hoping that this may be a vacuum leak. I also have a spare throttle body, and MAF. I swapped the MAF also this morning with no change.... The Vacuum line at the back for the HVAC is plugged, and the Brake Booster vacuum line is plugged in.

Ideas? Suggestions? What the hell should I be chasing here?

Chevelle 5-9-20-O2 Sensors removed.hpt
    Log Startup 70 Chevelle 5-9-20.hpl
    5-9-20-920am.PNG
    5-9-20-958am.PNG

When the 2 bar option is applied, it automatically changes the MAP sensor data in the tune. You may not have a 2 bar map sensor. Check the part number. Mp with key on, engine off should be aroung 100 depending on your altitude.
    No O2 sensors--you are in open loop--where is your wideband input? Tune VE first and the maf. In Engine--Torque mgt--ETC Limits--max, change the whole chart to 100 except the very first row across--that should be 0. In DTC's, change P0068 to no error reported and uncheck the box.
    Last edited by Lakegoat; 05-09-2020 at 01:59 PM.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Tuner in Training
    I believe this is a 1 bar sensor, so I?m not sure why the MAP is showing ~200kPA. Where/how would I change this back to 1 bar? This is a stock NA LS2 as far as I know

I found the issue with the O2 sensors, they were plugged into the extensions, but the extensions were disconnected when I was troubleshooting an issue with the ECM. They are fixed and not reporting faults anymore. The P0106 is still being reported.

Tuner in Training
    I made some adjustments to the MAP and set it for a Stock 1 BAR sensor. Set the characteristics to 104.78, 34.92, and left the offset alone. Started and runs better now. And no more fault codes. I seem to still have a little bit of a stumble if I quickly tap the throttle. If I roll in slowly or even Med fast it it ok. But if I quickly floor it, it stumbles.

And confirmed by PN. It?s a 1 bar sensor.

See the screenshot for the correct map numbers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakegoat View Post
    See the screenshot for the correct map numbers
    I don't know If this means anything, but my Airflow tab looks a little different than yours. I don't seem to have the Reversion settings (not that I know what that does, but thought it was worth a mention.)

V2 MAP Settings.PNG

That's from a stock 06 GTO. I looked at your post above and the page looks the same to me. Just use the numbers to make the map data correct or you will be tuning forever.

Are you in Advanced View ? Click Edit and select advanced if you haven't already

Tuner in Training
    My view is in advanced already. (This is in 4.7.187 Beta)

What operating system are you on? I checked GM TIS and found the latest there is 12604792, while the GTO files I snarfed from the repository are 12603159 (older).

Tuner in Training
    Found this in the Tune Details: 12603159... But interesting enough, it says Speed Density - 2 Bar? WTF? This is a bone stock 06 GTO LS2... Here's my stock tune that I pulled off of the car (Original tune that was corrupted. Chevelle 4-22-20-10-08am), and the tune as it is today... (Chevelle 5-9-20-O2 Sensors removed and MAP Settings Adjusted V2)

OS Settings.PNG

Chevelle 4-22-20-10-08am.hpt

Chevelle 5-9-20-O2 Sensors removed and MAP Settings Adjusted V2.hpt

Did something happen to my tune when I send it to HPT tech support to fix the corrupt file? Anyone care to help me take a look?

The stock OS can't turn on the fan(s) below 195*, the 2bar OS lowers that to 168*. If you keep the stock MAP sensor it functions the same as stock OS, other than the fan stuff.

I don't have a Beta installed, my 4.6.3 won't open your Beta files.

What specific issue do you have that works in the Beta but not in the release version?

Tuner in Training
    When I sent the corrupted files to HPT, they sent it back and told me to install it using the BETA, I didn't know what that meant so I tried to install it using the standard production version, and I got an error that the file was created on a newer version, so I downloaded the Beta and I installed it.

What does the Speed Density thing mean? or that means that it's setup for a 2 Bar MAP? (and I changed it manually back to the 1 bar setting)

When I'm looking at the System->Fans, I don't seem to have control over the fans... I can see that there are two descrete fans, and the relay controls, but I don't appear to be able to adjust the temps the fans come on at...

System-Fans.PNG
    Last edited by norcalvp; 05-11-2020 at 08:49 PM.

Click on 'Desired % vs ECT'

They told you to flash it with the beta, because they created it with a beta version, and a standard version wouldn't open it, and if you can't open it you can't flash it. But, now that it's in the ECM, you can go back to the standard 4.6.3 release version, do a read-entire and save the product as a new filename, and from then on you can read-edit-flash using the standard non-beta.