Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2014 R-Spec tuning

Ah yes my desperation channel list, that was while I was working on troubleshooting the PID issue. My actual one is all cleaned up and labeled in the XML. Just awaiting for them to get back to me on the EGT PID. I did notice that my Vehicle Profile naming convention has changed once I re-polled. Hoping to be able to log my ride home today, I have loaded on the 1.11 in the meantime as well to go in and compare the values but that all makes sense.

Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 10.31.35 AM.png

Logged a 4th pull and 3rd pull, saw lots of KR across the pull and in general.
    Attached Files Attached Files

For kick's and giggles I rebuilt a stock file of mine and lowered the power but I am still seeing KR on TIP-IN and throughout the log. I am going to toss on the stock file and log it on the way home just to make sure I am not missing something mechanical.
    Last edited by Illmat1c; 10-01-2019 at 01:41 PM.

Tuning has been placed on hold for mechanical upkeep. Getting KR on the stock map.

Any updates?

Quite a bit of parts came in and were put on; 4 new coil packs, upgraded fuel line, lower motor mount inserts, upgraded catch can routing, MX45L plugs, RCA tablet setup for HP Tuners and some small exhaust changes. Unrelated to tuning; new wheel bearings, ceramic pads, custom strut tower bars, roof rack and some sound deadening.

Had my local VW mechanic scope the head to check the valves and such. They all came back rather clean which was a surprise to me.

Hoping to load the last tune on and run it again today. Been busy with the girlfriends Jetta and Datsun so my car had to take a back seat.
    Last edited by Illmat1c; 11-04-2019 at 03:03 PM.

Still seeing KR. New sensor going in when I can to see if it's just fake at this point. It doesn't make sense.

Not really sure why HPT is logging so much KR activity, as this is a fairly mild stage 1 tune.

I didn’t see your latest stock tune log to compare KR activity.

HKS M45XL plugs are just ok. NGK R2556G-9 race plugs are much better. Anyway, what did you gap them at?

Good deal on intake valve cleanliness. Keep it that way.

Any progress on the EGT PID from support?
    Last edited by zugig; 11-06-2019 at 03:18 AM.

It is beyond me. I can feel it dip in power as it comes on so the search goes on. I did have the shop use their scanner and logged some pulls and had no KR so there's that.

PIDs for EGT are loaded and I can now log them. Left the gaps at .028. I will grab some fresh ones with the right PIDs, I had to reinstall my VM and I forgot to backup my layouts

Loaded the crap logs. Still have KR showing up for no apparent reason, I am guessing the sensor is bad at this point. It's obnoxious.
    Last edited by Illmat1c; 11-07-2019 at 02:56 PM.

KR on the stock tune points to electrical supply issues. Replace the ignition condenser ($25 from any dealer) and run a 30” 6 AWG cable from its grounding plate to the driver side chassis grounding point. Check battery strength/life and replace if flat.

Will do, battery has been checked and is new as of a three months ago. Replaced it before starting the tuning. Shockingly.....there are none in the country according to my local dealer. Working on getting one so I can get back too it.

Honestly never even considered this.

Replaced the insulator and still getting some ridiculous KR readings. No CEL. Next up, swapping the knock sensor.

Insulator? You mean ignition condenser?

Maybe it’s time to consider getting a borescope done on all cylinders to see how dirty it is inside the combustion chambers.

Dirty intake valves & combustion chambers from hydrocarbon (oil) deposit buildup can also cause KR/misfires.

Ah yea sorry condenser. I already had it scoped a month ago when this started. Crystal clean seats, heads, tops and walls.

All mods were removed, tested and inspected. Still KR readings through the roof. Running out of ideas but it's going to be in the 50s and 60s so I will be swapping the knock sensor itself.

Any other sources of noise or rattling going on? Have heard stories of things like loose heat shields or loose fasteners/washers, etc. causing false KR.

I think you should log with Torque Pro + HADV plugin to see if and how KR correlates with how HPT scanner reports it.

Potential Tuner
    Was this last log posted running a tune? The ignition advance is very odd, but is advancing towards it's maximum. 12 degrees near redline is perfectly normal. At this given point the KR is reading ~10 degrees...stock tune would never run 22 degrees of timing in this area. I have seen phantom/odd KR readings plenty of times on this platform.

Z - That's what I was aiming to uncover. No findings after disassembly and still an issue.

Xerxes - yes this car is tuned for the pulls. The latest tune is V1.12-Zkrmods. The issue developes on TIP-IN, I can roll into the higher RPMs and hit 23LBS with no KR. The second I go with a heavy TIP-IN the KR kicks up. I thought maybe it was a bad tune so I took a stock tune, just changed the PE and SLIGHT demand increase, the issue instantly came back. Stock map is totally fine but it's like the PE transition is drawing it out.