Thread: Need some input

Tuner in Training

Need some input

Hey everyone,

I have a 2017 Mustang 3.7. I'm looking for some input on my log. i seem to have gotten my LTFT to steady out around 0-1 and the motor keeps requesting timing. At times tho i see a spark source of cyl pressure limit which I'm assuming means i need to back off the timing. I have gotten the pre-ignition table for spark and the tip in table to stop retarding timing constantly and i did get plus 2 knock up top so i have removed 2 degrees in that area and smoothed out the graph to get rid of it. Any help would be appreciated. I have also attached my tune.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    You can max out the Cylinder Pressure Limit table with 63.5 in the Spark Advance Tab to avoid hitting that limiter. That's the limiter part of it, I see that some times when you do hit cylinder pressure limit, your timing is also being retarded.

Honestly, I haven't seen a stock file of a 2017 3.7 to know what all is changed from stock. There is a lot of blending happening between all of the tables, even WOT. This is because the OP EVC is 10*, making WOT always include Mapped Point 2.
    When WOT, your Spark Source should read Borderline. Yours begins with Borderline but changes to Base in the middle of a pull. Base means timing is following your MBT tables. This means that MBT has went to a lesser value than Borderline. If MBT falls below borderline, your knock sensors will not add timing.
    In this picture, borderline is less than MBT, but borderline starts increasing until it is more advanced that MBT
    borderline-less-than-mbt.PNG
    MBT-less-than-BLK.PNG

Checking your tables, all of MBT is more advanced than Borderline, but the spark adders are pulling MBT timing retarding it less than borderline.
    sparkadder.PNG

You can increase MBT a few degrees at the given RPM and loads. You can zero out the Lambda MBT Spark Adder in the richer conditions. You can retard Borderline a few degrees as well. There are a lot of changes you can do to solve your knock problem.
    You'll have to check and compare all of your table. You might want to rescale your RPM so they're a little more similar and you wont have to interpolate the differences.
    Knockr.PNG

Tuner in Training
    Thank you so much for this. I was told I should not change my before so I stopped adjusting it. I will do as you have said and post the differences.

Advanced Tuner
    Timing will always follow the lowest value of borderline and mbt. Knock sensors will only add timing with borderline being the lowest value.
    The only somewhat problem but not necessarily anything bad is what degree becomes less efficient when cruising. How much spark advance is too much spark advance and you begin losing power
    For your knock sensors to add less.
    You can increase borderline. Have more timing and let mbt limit the amount added.
    You can decrease mbt and lower timing and mbt will will still limit the amount added.
    You have spark advance limit as well on your knock retard tab. I always change this table to only allow 4 degrees added the entire table. Adjust timing through borderline and mbt.

I would disable some MP too to get rid of some of them. They're all enabled.

Tuner in Training
    Made the changes you siggested and briefly drove it with a wot 2 and 3 gear and my knock issues have dissipated. One area needs 5 degrees added but no positive knock and only one area requestung timing. Also all wot pulls show borderline table only.

Advanced Tuner
    You don't need to add 5 degrees to the area. Your knock sensors are already adding the timing. If you've been increasing timing every where timing is added, that would be the cause of your knock.

By not adding to the cells the knock sensors add timing, you give yourself a cushion. Your tables have enough room to blend and advance. One table might be adding 5 degrees whole another table will have knock retard in the same cell.