Thread: Improving MPG on 2002 6.0 Silverado?

Improving MPG on 2002 6.0 Silverado?

I don't do a lot of GM tuning, but I have someone with a 2002 6.0 Silverado who is looking to improve his fuel mileage. He's owned this truck since new, and said it has always gotten horrible fuel mileage. He commutes 60 miles a day in it, and would love to squeeze a little more MPGs out of it.

Any suggestions for what to change tuning wise that may help?

Thanks!

All I can say is good luck. It's a super heavy truck with a beefy drivetrain that saps away fuel mileage.

A proper tune up first, then see how things look with the scanner. Make sure fuel trims and all that jazz are in order. You may be able to add some timing in the cruising area's of the timing curve but don't expect it to do much.

If it's got 4.10's, he could switch to a highway gear like 3.73's. He could run highway tread tire and not an offroad tire. Drive 60-65 instead of 70-75 will help a lot. I'd still take a guess and say he's still only going to get 12-14mpg in those old LQ4's with that chassis.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.