Thread: 0411 4L80e stand alone controller

Potential Tuner

0411 4L80e stand alone controller

Anyone had success using the 0411 as a stand alone TCM for a 4L80e?

The vehicle I'm considering is an old 95 C2500 diesel that has been manual pump swapped.

I would like to still be able to log things such as MAP(boost), CTS, IAT, RPM, TPS, and more that the truck was originally equipped with.

I also would like a spare output that is capable of controlling a glow plug module for time vs IAT or CTS.

Even boost control would be nice too, but its wastegate is currently boost referenced manually.

Crank signal is 4X reluctor I believe.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    you have too many limitations i think. to much custom stuff to add to your motor to give you everything you want and even then it wont control the glow plugs like you desire.

it would work with any 0-5 volt map sensor, a gm cts, a gm iat, and any 0-5v tps.
    the trans would require all inputs related to the 4l80e. TO do this i believe a re-pin of the 4l80e harness at the trans is required to shift it correctly.
    you limitations are: i dont believe there is boost control (even in an enhanced OS), or any output controlled by all three; cts,iat,time.

to control everything then it would get expensive due to lack of options that control engine settings along with trans control. the only one that comes to mind would be something like a holley terminator X or dominator. use the engine harness to record and control engine features and the trans harness would allow universal trans control.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 09-11-2019 at 09:52 AM.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Potential Tuner
    What about the 4x 5.7L engines with the 4L80e combo in the vans I believe?

I can use an older style glow plug controller that doesn't require PCM, I was just curious if there might be an unused output capable.

No need to re-pin 4L80e at trans connector. It was the older like 92ish and earlier that had the different plug.

There are several stand alone TCMs out there, but I thought it would be cool if I could log the sensors I currently have all on the same PCM and control the trans.

Ive burnt several proms for the OBD1 PCM but still have an underlining issue with the electronic to manual pump conversion.

sorry i misspoke.
    you need a 350 vortech file to flash into the ecu if you dont have one in there already. you can find this file in the repository under the earlier 2000-2002 express van 5.7. this would get you the 4x signal pattern in the 0411. If you need to convert i dont recommend just flashing van file in there because it will change a bunch of stuff. you can however use the guides on the forum for segment swapping to install the proper segments for engine and transmission control. this keeps you vin the same and still gives you engine settings you are after.

do you by chance already have a file read from an 0411 you have on hand?

Potential Tuner
    I do have an 0411 handy but haven't built my bench harness to pull file yet. I believe its a 5.3 4L60e variant.

Thought about finding a van specific or minimum a 4L80e controller so I would only have to license the one file.

But I'm new to HP tuners so I'm not 100% sure the best route to achieve what I'm after.

VIN doesn't matter in this case.

Would failing the MAF and other gas related sensors/DTCs cause any issues with the trans side?

Remapping the shift tables I can do.

I work in the salvage business so sourcing specific PCMs is fairly easy.

Vin does matter because that is what hpt registers to your credits. Changing vin means spending credits. That's why segment swaps are available.

Potential Tuner
    Gotcha, I thought you meant I might be wanting to use a specific VIN.

Should I just use any available 0411, then segment swap the engine and trans stuff to fit what i'm trying to accomplish?

pretty much. they arent something that is new and readily available. typically guys have a pile of them and sell one at random draw.
    if you have one already id just work on that bench harness and seeing what it is first. it may be a van already and your half way there.

Potential Tuner
    Finding the a van PCM is no problem for me, I work in the salvage business and have access to other yards and their VINs to find a PCM to start with.

And I guess back to the original question, has anyone had sucess with the 0411 as a stand alone TCM?