Thread: 4l60e Torque Management Recovery Rate

Tuner in Training MaroonMonsterLS1's Avatar

4l60e Torque Management Recovery Rate

Hi All,
    I was wondering how to change the recovery rate for torque management of the transmission.
    I have a 4l60e that is very well built. I build transmissions and have multiple out there at 450+ hp...this is the same build for my personal car and I'm playing with the tune.

I am having an issue where the 2-3 shift holds torque management forever it feels like. I can attach a log if need be, but there is timing pulled when the shift is commanded, and it stays pulled for over 2 seconds, then it is "given back" making the car feel very sluggish on the 2-3 because it is down on power. The shift itself is performed no problem, and the trans is doing great. If I disable 2-3 shift torque management, the shift is just as crisp as before, but the engine clearly has full power and pulls much harder.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to keep the torque management in and only have it pull timing for a fraction of a second.

I can find parameters for knock retard ramp rates...but not for torque management retard rates.

Can someone help with this please?!

Tuner
    What year make and model car is it? Is it a Gen V ecu?
    2014 Silverado L83 | Knockoff S369 Turbo | LT1 Fuel Pump and Injectors | MAST L84 Port Intake | MS3Pro Secondary Fuel Computer

2002 Camaro LS1
    p01/411

Tuner
    Try engine > torque management> general> spark retard/torque loss%
    Gen3 L59/4L60E LS3 cast manifolds, Small Cam change, 2800 Convertor, MPVI, using MTX-L for wideband tuning

I've looked at that...that table defines how many degrees of timing pulled relates to the percentage of torque lost

aka an engine that makes 400 ft lbs...if we pull 10 degrees...it loses 25% aka 100 ft lbs
    That type of relationship

I just want the timing to be ramped back in more quickly...the weird part is that the 1-2 torque reduction is perfect. Looks like a needle point on the log. Timing dips JUST long enough to make the shift then it is all right back in. Where the 2-3 timing ramp looks like a U...it is sharp down...hangs out for a second or 2...then shoots back up. I just want to eliminate the floor of the U

Tuner
    How about ... spark>retard>recovery>rate you could tighten that up ?
    Gen3 L59/4L60E LS3 cast manifolds, Small Cam change, 2800 Convertor, MPVI, using MTX-L for wideband tuning

That's on the engine side for knock retard is my understanding correct?
    If it were for tq mgmt, I would expect to see the 1-2 shift display similar spark retard flatlining, but it does not

Tuner
    Hmmmm .... I'm not sure.... can you not just make it pull less timing ? are you manually shifting 2-3 or allowing the pcm do it ?

Letting PCM shift 2-3

I can make it pull less timing...I have even gone so far to just 0 out the TM tables...and it shifts fine. Very quick and firm, just like it should...it's built well.
    But I don't want to have to totally remove TM...I just want it to work better

Tuner
    Is your maximum torque set too low ? engine> torque management> torque limit Vs rpm too low setting here will delay the shift

maxed at 600+

Advanced Tuner
    Im interested in this topic as well. My truck literally surges back to life a second after the shift is completed