Thread: how do you adjust the TCC Apply/Release table?

Tuner

how do you adjust the TCC Apply/Release table?

I know DCJustin and Dewmanshu are going to strangle me for asking this question, but i still don't comprehend how this table works. They both have tried to explain it to me several times and i just can't get it to sink in. I thought maybe if i posted here someone could help me understand how this table works.

TCC Apply/Release Speed vs. TPS vs. Gear - Normal

What i'm trying to do is get the TCC to stay locked just a little longer when driving on the interstate. As of now, every little increase in TPS unlocks the converter. I just want to be able to accelerate a little and be able to go up slight grades without the converter unlocking so easily.
    Last edited by Holty; 11-21-2006 at 01:30 PM.
    2003 Silverado SS -6.0L - 4L65e - AWD
    2008 GMC Sierra CCSB - All stock
    2011 Chevy Traverse

Senior Tuner
    Apply above / release below, for whatever given
    TPS%.

Lower the unlock speed to stay in it longer (pedal-
    wise).

It might help you use Excel and scatter-plot charts.
    You can see plainly the effect of data changes and
    have the freedom to plot vs TPS and not just vs
    MPH. I made worksheets like that way back when.

You want to determine what TPS (from logging)
    you want to stay in it until, at what speed. Keep
    an eye on converter slip RPM because you should
    unlock before that flares. Build yourself a "map"
    of desired behavior to beat the tune map against.

Tuner in Training
    Holty,...Think this issue is from the 90MM LS2 TB and TAC install? I had to mill over my tables after the install and just about have it set.

BTW, is that your current table? Is that the one you run at the track? Ever try 3rd apply at about 75 (at 100%TPS) for the track?
    Last edited by krambo; 12-28-2006 at 08:40 PM.

Potential Tuner

Same problem

Quote Originally Posted by Holty View Post
    I know DCJustin and Dewmanshu are going to strangle me for asking this question, but i still don't comprehend how this table works. They both have tried to explain it to me several times and i just can't get it to sink in. I thought maybe if i posted here someone could help me understand how this table works.

TCC Apply/Release Speed vs. TPS vs. Gear - Normal

What i'm trying to do is get the TCC to stay locked just a little longer when driving on the interstate. As of now, every little increase in TPS unlocks the converter. I just want to be able to accelerate a little and be able to go up slight grades without the converter unlocking so easily.
    I am having the same problem. Could someone please be a little more specific on what table and what values I need to be changing. This converter flare is driving me crazy. I just want to speed up 2 mph on the highway and the converter flares apx 200rpm then relocks again. Thanks
    Last edited by chaoschoppers; 04-27-2018 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Spelling

I would have to agree, i'm struggling with under standing this aswell.
    Trying to research this but cant find many break downs on a good step by step break down.

Even my books from The Tuning School doesnt even break this down.

Even a quick example would be fantastic
    Like when driving on a flat ground doing 60 mph and in forth with TCC lock up. Now when driving up a small crest in the road an you give it another 10-15% more throttle but the TCC unlocks nd drops a gear. What would needed to be changed and why? Can you increase/decrease to far?

I think this is my biggest battle trying to understand this table. Im sure its so basic and easy but when starting out it seems complicated haha.

Advanced Tuner
    this is super broad and in simple terms. I hope is helps a little.

the converter should always unlock during shift, be it upshift or downshift. a locked converter during a shift means nothing to give/slip and no shock absorption. its like flat shifting your manual, not breaking the engine/trans coupling during a shift.

you should expect your converter to unlock for the shift which on a downshift applying more throttle it may cause a little flare.

your release speeds should be ball park 10-20km/h less than respective apply speed. having the release speed higher than apply speed will cause you never ending drama.

I personally set all patterns including TUTD to the same apply/release speeds. your FULL THROTTLE table values should be the same as the 100% column in the respective "normal" or Pattern A/B etc" table. the values from 69% or 75% TPS should blend into the 100% TPS value. i.e. the values should flow and not have excessively large variations between cells.

logging your selector position in the scanner will help you determine exactly which table the TCC apply/release speed values are being referenced from. don't forget to edit the TUTD and D1/D2 tables if they're relevant to your vehicle.lara stock.hpt

in reference to the attached factory calibration and 1BadSlug and his example ill explain and you can reference the attached TCC apply/release tables.

cruising 4th gear 60mph converter locked. referencing the "pattern B - speed" table as that's the cruise pattern in this particular calibration and hes not at full throttle. (TRANS>SHIFT GENERAL>SHIFT PATTERN TYPE) will tell you what pattern is for what.

4th gear 60mph locked TCC lets assume he's using 37% throttle. the crest comes up and he adds 15% throttle to mean a total TPS of 52%.
    speed is going to remain relatively stable at 60mph as he's added throttle to compensate for the extra load created by the crest.

interpolating between the 50 and 56% TPS columns it sees that anything under 60/61mph (interpolated from 50% value of 58mph and 56% value of 64mph) will command the TCC to release. by adding throttle from the 60mph 37%TPS point to 60mph and 52%TPS the table commands the TCC to release as TPS is over 50% and speed is below 61mph.

after the TCC release and the resulting RPM increase for the same TPS speed will begin to build up again and still referencing "pattern B - speed" table the static TPS of 52% and increasing speed will mean that as soon as a speed of just over 64mph is reached the TCC will apply again.

if however during the RPM flare you lift off the throttle slightly to for example 47%TPS the any speed over a little more than 58mph will apply the TCC again. it would be likely you're already at that speed so the TCC would immediately lock again.

to stop this happening you would decrease the respective gear and cruising TPS areas of the RELEASE column values. this will give a bigger margin between apply and release speeds for respective TPS values. then you can add throttle as in your example without the TCC unlocking at all.

hope that's made sense

Potential Tuner
    Came in thread to learn more about this particular subject and I am impressed with how well you explained that. Made a great deal of sense, thank you!

Very late reply, but I still would like to thank you for that break down.
    Made so much more sense.
    Cheers!