Thread: Guide to Shift Scheduling

Question Guide to Shift Scheduling

Is there any documentation out there about how shift scheduling works? I mean, between Situation Mapping, Aggression Mapping, Shift Pattern, etc... That whole, "Shift Scheduling" tab in the VCM Editor is not exactly something you can look at and just know what's going on. When I put my Charger into manual mode and shift with the paddle shifters, it's great. I just wish I knew what all the settings meant in the Shift Scheduling tab so that I could program the car to shift like I would given whatever situation I'm driving in.

When the car was stock, this wasn't an issue but now I have a cam and ported heads in it and the engine is putting out 600hp. In Sport Mode, it's mostly fine but I'd love to program the car to shift a little more aggressively in standard mode. It keeps letting the RPMs drop down low, like just over 1,000rpm in high gears and sometimes that makes the car jerk around because now the engine isn't really tuned to be in 6th gear at 40mph. If there's any guide out there about how to program that tab so it shifts how I want depending on my speed and how much I'm on the accelerator, that would be super useful information.

Thanks in advance for your time, whoever answers.

Advanced Tuner
    Log shift ID and Shift situation and it will tell you what tables are being used.

Quote Originally Posted by spoolboy View Post
    Log shift ID and Shift situation and it will tell you what tables are being used.
    Here's a pic of the available channels I could add to the log for transmission. I'll try adding everything for the ECM, Shift Mode, Commanded Gear, Current Gear and Selected Gear, and see what that tells me.
    VCM Scanner Tranny Options.PNG

Additionally, here's what I'm already logging when it comes to my gas pedal. This all look about right? Anything I'm missing that would give me more information I need to know?
    Already Logging.PNG

Advanced Tuner
    trans.jpg

This is what I was logging when I was figuring stuff out. I have not tuned anything yet, just logged and tried to figure it out.

You'll want to add TPS to that, either in voltage or % depending on how you have APP set up.

It also wouldn't be a bad idea to add a few of the torque channels in there like demanded torque and torque source.
    Last edited by spoolboy; 09-12-2019 at 04:15 PM.

I still have hard time setting up trans tunes, I rode in a vehicle tuned bt AJ hemituner and they had individual shifts schedules set for different drive modes
    in standard thing was all stock. set it to track and thing shifted at close to 7k rpm with firmer shift points, I think the only thing that was the same between differntmodes was the TM reductions that is just global, overall.

trans.jpg

This is what I was logging when I was figuring stuff out. I have not tuned anything yet, just logged and tried to figure it out.

You'll want to add TPS to that, either in voltage or % depending on how you have APP set up.

It also wouldn't be a bad idea to add a few of the torque channels in there like demanded torque and torque source.
    When you're in the channel selector of the VCM Scanner, where do you find all that stuff, like Shift ID? I can't find half of the stuff you're logging in my available channels.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by breal5825 View Post
    When you're in the channel selector of the VCM Scanner, where do you find all that stuff, like Shift ID? I can't find half of the stuff you're logging in my available channels.
    some of the PIDs can't be seen until you start the car.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstar9528 View Post
    I still have hard time setting up trans tunes, I rode in a vehicle tuned bt AJ hemituner and they had individual shifts schedules set for different drive modes
    in standard thing was all stock. set it to track and thing shifted at close to 7k rpm with firmer shift points, I think the only thing that was the same between differntmodes was the TM reductions that is just global, overall.
    I do this as well... You can change many things for the different drive modes and really make the car behave differently in different modes.

Quote Originally Posted by sgoyal View Post
    OK. Good to know. Thanks.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by sgoyal View Post
    You see more PIDs with it running vs connected with the key 'On'? This true for most Chrysler vehicles?

Quote Originally Posted by Anvil15jku View Post
    You see more PIDs with it running vs connected with the key 'On'? This true for most Chrysler vehicles?
    I tried this, connected the Scanner and started the car running. Did not see any additional PIDs. I started recording in case that might be the reason and when I did that, the gear icon where you select channel grayed out.

Advanced Tuner
    Connect to the car with scanner and choose "repoll for supported parameters" from the menu at the top.

If that doesn't work, contact support.

Connect to the car with scanner and choose "repoll for supported parameters" from the menu at the top.

If that doesn't work, contact support.
    Dude, that was it! There's all kinds of parameters that are available now that weren't there before. This is what I needed. Many, many thanks.