Thread: Getting Service ETC and limp mode with no DTC's with bigger TB

Tuner in Training

Getting Service ETC and limp mode with no DTC's with bigger TB

Hey guys,

I have recently upgraded to the BBk 100mm TB and installed it onto my 6.4 NA with the Edelbrock Victor II intake. When driving, I get the ETC warning flash up and disappear numerous times and finally it sticks and enters limp mode. I can turn off the car, turn it back on and everything is goes back to normal. I spoke with a rep from BBK, they think the issue is this:

"The home position senor on the tps is trying to adjust the flap at idle to achieve proper idle rpm and is unable to do so. You will need to look at the idle tables and see how you can adjust throttle blade angle in conjunction with percentage of throttle engagement."

First log file shows the blip in TPS at the 5 min mark, second log is of my current tune where it also has happened, and my current tune. Any advice is appreciated.
    throttle bop at 5min.hpl
    HP Tuners E85 Tune DSv7 Airflow tweak + SRV Delete 9619.hpt
    91119.hpl

Tuner in Training
    Did you do a throttle re-learn after the BBK installation?

I've heard of a lot of people having issues with these. Deleting codes for the throttle body can remedy it in some cases. Did you adjust your throttle body table already?

If you want a custom tune message my page on facebook @ demigod tuning. Good luck

Under Diagnostics: Airflow:

I would try setting your TPS 1 Max Limp setting to 0.00 V.. see if that remedies it. Would be worth a shot.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by richhurley View Post
    Did you do a throttle re-learn after the BBK installation?
    Yes I did, still have the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by luciddeath View Post
    Under Diagnostics: Airflow:

I would try setting your TPS 1 Max Limp setting to 0.00 V.. see if that remedies it. Would be worth a shot.
    I'll give this a shot and see how it goes. Do you think disabling DTC's will help even tho no codes are being thrown?

Tuner in Training
    A check of your log shows timing at 15* at the time of the throttle blip. The car goes extremely lean as timing is reduced to 5* and bottoms out there. The ECM starts adding fuel to correct the lean condition and maintain the 5* of timing. A check of your timing tables WOT/PT/Minimum Spark Base in the idle areas, looks to be an possible issue. You can try to start with the Minimum Spark Base table and address the areas that hold the spark at 5* in the 512 - 1536 columns.

Tuner in Training
    A check of your log shows timing at 15* at the time of the throttle blip. The car goes extremely lean as timing is reduced to 5* and bottoms out there. The ECM starts adding fuel to correct the lean condition and maintain the 5* of timing. A check of your timing tables WOT/PT/Minimum Spark Base in the idle areas, looks to be an possible issue. You can try to start with the Minimum Spark Base table and address the areas that hold the spark at 5* in the 512 - 1536 columns.
    I went ahead and updated the min spark table to 8* in those areas, also noticed the tuner that originally wrote this tune didn't update Engine Diag's > Airflow > Peak Airflow WOT as well as the Engine Diag's > General > Airflow Max RPM tables. I'm wondering if there was some clipping involved causing my issue. I increased both of these tables by 40%. Going to test and log tomorrow, will share the results here.

Thank you for everyone's help!

Tuner in Training
    Any update ?

Tuner in Training
    Yes. I only altered the ETC tables and copy / pasted over hellcat numbers from a stock tune. No longer an issue except on deceleration only. I've uploaded the log, and my tune. I want to point out in the log that after a decel and had the issue, I sat in neutral at idle and had my RPM's suddenly spike.

I'm curious if the high IAT is interfering, because of my intake I had to relocate the IAT closer to the TB, and a lot of heat soak. New intake which will fix this arrives this week.
    Attachment 93345
    Fresh Gresh E85 Tune HELLCAT ETC 91919.hpt

Edit: I also think that I may need to adjust my VE tables, could be the potential issue for my TPS error.
    Last edited by FLAScatPack; 09-23-2019 at 11:14 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Log 92519.hpl
    WOKE E85 Tune With HC Air Model 92519.hpt

You can see where I get the error message for a split second, occurs at 19:00 in the log. Entered limp mode on the way home this evening, unfortunately I wasn't logging. I have a 92mm HC TB that I'm going to switch out and see if I have the same issue still.

Tuner in Training
    Does anyone know what tables determines the throttle blade position at idle / PT?
    On a quest to not blow up my car.....

Tuner in Training
    Try reducing the 8* entries in the Min Spark table to 0* and see if that helps.

Tuner in Training
    Try reducing the 8* entries in the Min Spark table to 0* and see if that helps.
    I went ahead and and installed a OEM 92mm Hellcat TB, and modified the stock ETC model. So far, no issues. Fuel is off, but dialing that in this weekend with VE and hopefully PE.

E85 Tune v5.2 Modified Stock ETC 92719.hpt
    PT Log 92719.hpl

Tuner in Training
    Since installing the HC TB, I have had no issues with limp mode. After doing tons of research, guys who bought the BBK 100mm HC TB and installed on their HC's have ran into similar issues, and replacing the TB with stock or MMX 95mm ported seems to remedy the issue.