Thread: 2016 Jeep SRT - TCM Torque Converter Tuning

Potential Tuner

2016 Jeep SRT - TCM Torque Converter Tuning

Hoping someone can clear this up for me...

I reached out to my transmission manufacturer and they provided me with a map for comparison. I was able to take a look at many of the parameters and have a couple of questions about the TCC tabs. The stipulation is that the map on the left is from a 2015 Grand Cherokee SRT and the other is from my 2016 (tuned by a performance shop). Please see below and attached...

1. Under the torque converter tab --> Slip sub-tab, there is a menu for column lookup.- The left map does not show an over-locked column, is this a feature included after 2015?- Under sections "half perf, Half Sport, Half Max", your values are 6, mine are 3. I have not found a way to change this on my map...
    2. Under the torque converter tab --> Pressure sub-tab, there is a section for Fill Compensation Time.- Base and Performance both have different top axis values. Do anyone know why?
    3. Is there a way to change these axis values?

I also reached out to HP Support, but they think it may be a tuning question... I'm trying to get to the bottom of this. I don't want to destroy this trans!

Column lookup_comparison_koop 2016 WK2 SRT.JPG
    Fill Comp Time_comparison_koop 2016 WK2 SRT.JPG

Thanks in advance!

Tuner in Training
    answer your question directly, with regards to the tuning. Not because I can't, but because I shouldn't without knowing the full details about your Trans and converter... What I would suggest doing, before all else, is to contact whoever built the transmission and ask them what type of torque converter they installed in your Jeep. There are different TC clutch linings used in different converters. Some(typically OE) convertors use clutches made up of materials that are made to be "slipped" when the lockup is engaged/disengaged. Some(most aftermarket) will use a performance type of clutch, which obviously is made to handle the application, but is merely not made to withstand the "slipping" engagement that the OE clutch linings are made to handle. The "slipping" is simply used to eliminate the harshness of the TCC lockup that many people complain about in everyday driving situations. If a stock tune file is used after installing a performance transmission, this could be result in a very quick death to the TCC due to this very reason. Usually a stock TCC would be able to withstand a performance tune to eliminate the "slip", but not vise versa. Hope this makes sense.

That said, I would suggest you know what you're modifying(or rather the reasons for modifying), before you change what has been recommended by the transmission manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by MI_SRT8 View Post
    Hoping someone can clear this up for me...

I reached out to my transmission manufacturer and they provided me with a map for comparison. I was able to take a look at many of the parameters and have a couple of questions about the TCC tabs. The stipulation is that the map on the left is from a 2015 Grand Cherokee SRT and the other is from my 2016 (tuned by a performance shop). Please see below and attached...

1. Under the torque converter tab --> Slip sub-tab, there is a menu for column lookup.- The left map does not show an over-locked column, is this a feature included after 2015?- Under sections "half perf, Half Sport, Half Max", your values are 6, mine are 3. I have not found a way to change this on my map...
    2. Under the torque converter tab --> Pressure sub-tab, there is a section for Fill Compensation Time.- Base and Performance both have different top axis values. Do anyone know why?
    3. Is there a way to change these axis values?

I also reached out to HP Support, but they think it may be a tuning question... I'm trying to get to the bottom of this. I don't want to destroy this trans!

Column lookup_comparison_koop 2016 WK2 SRT.JPG
    Fill Comp Time_comparison_koop 2016 WK2 SRT.JPG

Thanks in advance!
    I suggest you talk to Hemi tuner he is brilliant with the zf8