Thread: Flashing mistake-how to fix

Flashing mistake-how to fix

So as I was attempting to flash my gen2 control pack ecu, I accidentally forgot to turn the key on. The software obviously stopped and now the PCM seems froze up with the check engine light on 100% of the time. No matter what I try, I cant get it to do anything. Car is 100% disabled on the PCM/control pack side. Anyone ever experience this?

Advanced Tuner
    Unhook battery, count to 10, hook battery back up, see what that does

Quote Originally Posted by MRRPMBRP View Post
    Unhook battery, count to 10, hook battery back up, see what that does
    I tried this, but left the battery unhooked for 30 minutes to make sure the KAM was reset. As soon as I hooked it back up, same thing. Unresponsive and check engine light on even with the key out of the ignition.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo2806 View Post
    I tried this, but left the battery unhooked for 30 minutes to make sure the KAM was reset. As soon as I hooked it back up, same thing. Unresponsive and check engine light on even with the key out of the ignition.
    using write entire?

I don't think trying to flash with the key off could cause an issue like that. I don't editor would progress beyond telling you no vehicle power was detected.

Advanced Tuner
    So as I was attempting to flash my gen2 control pack ecu, I accidentally forgot to turn the key on. The software obviously stopped and now the PCM seems froze up with the check engine light on 100% of the time. No matter what I try, I cant get it to do anything. Car is 100% disabled on the PCM/control pack side. Anyone ever experience this?
    Im with CCS86. I don't see how it could have even started writing with the key off.

Did you restart PC, unplug/plug MPVI?

Also in my experience, if the battery voltage is low on the car it will fail writing. Connect a charged up jump box or jump your car from another vehicle to boost your battery in case it's low, then try your write.
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results

I agree, I don't see how it can happen. It's a very weird problem. I tried restarting PC along with unplugging etc. Nothing works. I ended up sending PCM back to Ford Performance for a reflash.

I agree, I don't see how it can happen. It's a very weird problem. I tried restarting PC along with unplugging etc. Nothing works. I ended up sending PCM back to Ford Performance for a reflash.
    Hmm, they will do that?

Advanced Tuner
    how much do they charge to flash it?

They flashed it back to stock for free. The FRPP techline is very friendly and fairly helpful. They weren't quite sure why it did this, but offered to help for no charge.