Thread: GTO E40 into second gen S10 or Blazer

Potential Tuner

GTO E40 into second gen S10 or Blazer

Has anyone successfully swapped an LS2 GTO engine and trans into a second gen s10 or blazer? Let me qualify what I mean by ?successfully.? By saying that, not only do the engine and transmission function, but all other options as well., ie,. AC, Cruise, cooling fans, gauges, and so on.
    I have a project where I have put an ?05 GTO LS2/T56 into an ?03 Blazer Xtreme, originally equipped with a 4.3/5 Speed. I have the engine running, still in a pre-tune, but running none the less. My first sign of unsuccess is that my ECT and fuel level gauges do not work. Using a scan tool (HP Tuners) I can see that both signals are being seen by the processor. They are just not being sent to the gauges. Confirming the wiring, my harness provider suggested the GTO?s E40 ECM may need to be flashed as an SSR/Trailblazer to get the gauges functioning. In doing some yet limited research on this, I found that doing that may cause other issues, such as no fan control, need for a different DBW gas pedal, AC and cruise not working.
    Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!!!

The GTO is an odd duck in many aspects, as it's got Aussie-GM flavored network protocols and components, except for the bodged-in US-GM protocol ECM/TCM, and the two systems can only talk to each other through a translator (the PIM). All the other E40 operating systems are built to talk directly with US-GM network stuff without the translator.

I would only use the GTO OS if it was in an actual GTO, or a complete hot rod style standalone. Even with the standalone there's probably better OS options.

Potential Tuner
    "Odd Duck" I am beginning to agree! Thank you for the information and thoughts. Had I known then what have been somewhat forced to learn, I too might have made a different choice. As it stands, I am committed to the challenge of getting the E40 to work in my project. Blindly,.... I hope not! I will keep this thread updated on my progress. Again Thanks!

So use a '05 SSR (manual trans) operating system (and SSR/Trailblazer/Envoy pedal). The E40 part isn't a problem at all. Your truck is a 'S/T' platform, guess what... an '05 SSR & Trailblazer are also a 'S/T'. Chances of everything working together without a bunch of hacking is much higher with that combo than with a GTO OS.