Thread: 2003 Ram 5.7 surges at idle

Tuner in Training

2003 Ram 5.7 surges at idle

I have a 2003 Ram with a 2005 pcm swap. The engine has a comp cams 260, shortie headers and a x pipe. I followed the tuning's school dodge tuning book but now I have an issue where the truck surges as idle and I cant fix it. Please help

What is your minimum airflow set at? Probably too high.. other possibility is you set your base pt / base minimum spark timing too high

Engine > Torque Management > Engine > Desired Spark Retard
    They have you adjust this but I have found that it results in a surging idle.
    There's really no reason to adjust that anyhow.

Potential Tuner
    Exactly what guru1oftal said. I had the exact same thing happen by following the Tuning Schools instructions while tuning my 2016 Ram. I changed this table back to stock and the surging went away.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the responses I will try to do the things mentioned and I will update later

Tuner in Training
    sdt1update1.hpt this is my tune. It looks like putting the desired retard back to stock fixed it, but would anyone happen to know what is that retard for?
    Last edited by ruly986; 09-22-2019 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ruly986 View Post
    sdt1update1.hpt this is my tune. It looks like putting the desired retard back to stock fixed it, but would anyone happen to know what is that retard for?
    Glad that took care of it for you.
    The short answer is that it is supposed to establish the amount of timing retard available to torque management.

I just noticed that your PE table seems a bit lean for a vehicle that heavy. You seeing any STKR at WOT?
    Last edited by guru1oftal; 09-23-2019 at 09:39 AM.

Tuner in Training
    When I was testing with the wideband I was able to get it to run at roughly 12 to 1 and there isnt amy knock. You think I should go richer?

If you are seeing 12:1 on the wideband and no STKR I'd say you are good.
    I like to run around 11.9:1 under high load for a safety margin due to the additional weight